He was Minister of Labor and Social Affairs from 1976 to 1977, Minister of Finance from 1977 to 1978 and 1995 to 1996, Minister of Health and Education from 1997 to 1998 and from December 19, 1996 to February 12 or 13, 1997 (the sources contradict each other) President of the Republic of Nauru. In the 1997 presidential election he was defeated by Kinza Clodumar by 8 against 9 votes. He is the uncle of Russell Kun .
The Australian Confederation has an agreement with Nauru that allows asylum seekers to be deported to the Nauru Detention Center . In 2004, Kun represented some asylum seekers who were deported to Nauru in one case before the Naurus Supreme Court.
He helped found the National Olympic Committee in March 1991, of which he later became president.
- "Nauru: Heads of State: 1968-2017" on archontology.org. Retrieved June 10, 2017 .
- "Countries Na-Ne" on rulers.org. Retrieved June 10, 2017 .
- "Index Kl-Ky" on rulers.org. Retrieved June 10, 2017 .
- "A Political Chronology of South East Asia and Oceania" at Google Books. Retrieved June 10, 2017 .
- Website of the Nauru Olympic Committee. Retrieved June 10, 2017 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kun, Ruben James (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Nauruan politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 30, 1942|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 21, 2014|