Schlumbergera × buckleyi
Schlumbergera is a genus of plants from the cactus family(Cactaceae). The botanical name of the genus honors the French cactus collector and breeder Frédéric Schlumberger (1823-1893). The German common name Christmas cacti of some species refers to the usual flowering time of the plants in Central Europe.
The species of the genus Schlumbergera grow shrubby epiphytic or lithophytic with richly branched, numerous shoots . The segmented shoots are flattened, compressed and two-winged (rarely three-winged) or rotating and oblong to obovate. The areoles are located on the sides of the shoot sections and at its end, or they are arranged in a spiral over the entire surface. The thorns are bristle-like and short or absent entirely.
The flowers appearing at the tips of the shoot sections are radially symmetrical to strongly zygomorphic. Their color varies from purple to pink through red, orange, yellow to white. The clearly pronounced tube is covered with petal-like scales. The stamens, fused into a short tube, protrude from the flower tube.
The berry-like fruits are ribbed or twisting and have a persistent flower remnant. They contain egg to kidney-shaped, shiny brown to black, smooth to tiny dotted seeds of up to 1 millimeter in length and diameter.
Systematics and distribution
The first description was published in 1858 by Charles Lemaire . The genus includes the formerly independent genera Zygocactus and Epiphyllanthus . The type species of the genus is Schlumbergera epiphylloides . The genus Schlumbergera includes the following species and hybrids:
- Schlumbergera × buckleyi
- Schlumbergera × exotica
- Schlumbergera kautskyi (Horobin & McMillan) NPTaylor
- Schlumbergera lutea Calvente & Zappi (formerly: Hatiora epiphylloides )
Schlumbergera microsphaerica (K.Schum.) PVHeath
- Schlumbergera microsphaerica subsp. microsphaerica
- Schlumbergera microsphaerica subsp. candida (Loefgr.) DRHunt
- Schlumbergera opuntioides (Loefgr. & Dusén) DRHunt
- Schlumbergera orssichiana Barthlott & McMillan
- Schlumbergera × reginae
Synonyms of the genus are Epiphyllum Pfeiff. , Zygocactus K.Schum. , Epiphyllanthus A. Berger , Opuntiopsis Knebel and Zygocereus Frič .
Appendix I of the Washington Convention on Endangered Species does not contain any species of the Schlumbergera genus . In the Red List of Threatened Species of IUCN three types, however, are listed with different threat status. Schlumbergera kautskyi is classified as “ Endangered (EN) ” and Schlumbergera opuntioides as “ Near Threatened (NT) ” (less endangered). Insufficient data is available on the threat to Schlumbergera microsphaerica .
- Edward F. Anderson : The Great Cactus Lexicon . Eugen Ulmer KG, Stuttgart 2005, ISBN 3-8001-4573-1 , p. 578-580 .
- Revue Horticole . 4th series, Volume 7, p. 253, Paris 1858
- Edward F. Anderson : The great cactus lexicon . Eugen Ulmer KG, Stuttgart 2005, ISBN 3-8001-4573-1 , p. 578-580 .
- Andreas Hofacker: Notes on Schlumbergera lutea Calvente & Zappi . In: EPIG . No. 72 , 2014, ISSN 2364-4478 , p. 18-32 .
- Search for "Schlumbergera" in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2009. Retrieved January 5, 2010.
- Schlumbergera kautskyi in the endangered Red List species the IUCN 2009 Posted by: Taylor, NP, 2002. Accessed January 5 of 2010.
- Schlumbergera opuntioides in the endangered Red List species the IUCN 2009 Posted by: Taylor, NP, 2002. Accessed January 5 of 2010.
- Schlumbergera microsphaerica in the endangered Red List species the IUCN 2009 Posted by: Taylor, NP, 2002. Accessed January 5 of 2010.
- Pierre J. Braun, Eddie Esteves Pereira: Cacti and other succulents in Brazil . Schumannia Volume 3, 2002, ISBN 3-89598-830-8 .
- AJS McMillan, John F. Horobin: Christmas Cacti: Genus Schlumbergera and Its Hybrids . Royal Botanic Gardens of Kew 1995, ISBN 0-9517234-7-2 .
- G. Tismer, W. Höller, W. Barthlott : A flowering calendar of the Rhipsalideen . In: Cacti and other succulents . Volume 50, No. 10, 1999, pp. 241-248.