Location in California
|Foundation :||October 10, 1969|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Ventura County|
|Time zone :||Pacific ( UTC − 8 / −7 )|
|Residents :||126,414 (as of 2011)|
|Population density :||1,245.5 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||102.2 km 2 (approx. 39 mi 2 ) of
which 101.5 km 2 (approx. 39 mi 2 ) is land
|Height :||234 m|
|Postcodes :||93062-93065, 93093, 93094, 93099|
|Area code :||+1 805|
|GNIS ID :||1661450|
|Mayor :||Paul Miller|
Simi Valley is a city in Ventura County in the US state of California . The geographic coordinates are: 34.26 ° north, 118.75 ° west. The administrative area has a size of 102.1 km². Simi Valley is approximately 60 km northwest of central Los Angeles , on the edge of the built-up area and 230 km north of San Diego . It is not a grown city in the true sense - the basic concept was a settlement in a checkerboard arrangement of voluminous, lightweight single-family houses with inevitably minimal gaps, in the "ranch" style with a large hall as a hallway and kitchen-cum-living room for solvent white workers, etc. a. from the nearby industrial district of Chatsworth .
- The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, museum and grave of the 40th President of the USA are located in Simi Valley .
- Simi Valley became world famous in 1982 when the film Poltergeist by producer Steven Spielberg was released. The original Poltergeist house that was filmed in front of it still stands today at Simi Valley, Roxbury Drive 4267. The owners of the house in 1982 are still the same today.
- The Simi Valley trial took place in the Rodney King case , from whose judgment the 1992 Los Angeles riots developed.
- The Audi Volkswagen Advanced Design Center (today: VW Design Center California (DCC), Santa Monica ) was located in Simi Valley until 2006 , where the Audi TT and the VW New Beetle , among others , were created. The designers J Mays and Peter Schreyer are associated with the ADC .
- The city first became known nationwide through the nuclear reactor accident of July 26, 1959, which was kept secret for a long time . (see the list of accidents in nuclear facilities ).
Nature and parks
Simi Valley is a city with a lot of nature. This can be seen, for example, at the 42 parks in Simi Valley. Together, all parks have an area of 614,994 acres (2,489 km²). The three largest parks are the Simi Hills Golf Course with 155.506 acres (629 km²), the Cumash Park and Trail with 51.81 acres and the Oak Canyon Community Park with 38.164 acres (154 km²).
These parks allow a whole host of activities, such as: B. Sports such as baseball, basketball, volleyball, jogging and tennis. In the larger ones you can also practice sports such as mountain climbing, softball, soccer, swimming, golf, horse riding, beach volleyball and fishing. It is also possible to relax in one of the many picnic areas in each of the parks. It is particularly popular to get married in one of the parks or to celebrate other festivals. In some of these parks there are also historical monuments, railways or museums.
The most important tree species in the parks are oaks. But there are also parks that only consist of citrus trees or lawns. In some places there is also a small lake or stream in the parks. The larger parks are located on the border between Simi Valley and neighboring cities, but there are also many parks in the city center.
- Shailene Woodley (born 1991), actress