|Historical region :||Transylvania|
|Time zone :||EET ( UTC +2)|
|Area :||60.39 km²|
|Residents :||22,075 (October 20, 2011)|
|Population density :||366 inhabitants per km²|
|Postal code :||545600|
|Telephone code :||(+40) 02 65|
|License plate :||MS|
|Structure and administration (as of 2016)|
|Community type :||Municipality|
|Structure :||3 districts / cadastral communities: Bobohalma , Botorca , Cuștelnic|
|Mayor :||Sorin Nicolae Megheșan ( PNL )|
|Postal address :||Piața Primăriei nr. 7
loc. Târnăveni, jud. Mureș, RO-545600
Târnăveni , old spelling Tîrnăveni [ ˈtɨrnəvenʲ ] (until 1943 Diciosânmartin , German Sankt Martin , Hungarian Dicsőszentmárton ), is a town in the Mureş district in Transylvania , Romania . It is located on the Târnava Mică ( Little Kokel ) river.
The city had around 26,500 inhabitants in 2007.
Culture and sights
- The city museum was opened in 1962 and shows an important collection of archaeological ethnographic pieces and works from the area around Târnăveni.
- The Unitarian Church (originally a Roman Catholic Martinskirche ) was built in the 15th century in the Gothic style.
- Also worth seeing are the Orthodox St. Treime Church (built between 1939 and 1940), the Orthodox Georgskirche and today's Catholic Martinskirche.
- About 15 km from Târnăveni in the direction of Blaj is a medieval castle built between 1570 and 1580.
- Another tourist destination is the Corona Forest, on a hill above the city between the Mureș and Târnava Mică rivers .
City partnerships and friendships
sons and daughters of the town
- György Szabó (1920–2011), philologist
- György Ligeti (1923-2006), Hungarian-Austrian composer
- Attila Demjén (1926–1973), painter
- Gyula Maurer (1927–2012), mathematician
- Árpád Bényi (1931–2006), Hungarian painter
- Emil Petru (1939–1995), Romanian football player
- Tibor Pálffy (* 1967), actor
- 2011 census in Romania at citypopulation.de
- György Szabó on helikon.ro , accessed on January 17, 2014
- Attila Demjén on hung-art.com , accessed on January 17, 2014
- Gyula Maurer at www.szabadsag.ro , accessed on January 17, 2014
- Árpád Bényi on artportal.hu , accessed on January 17, 2014
- Tibor Pálffy on imdb , accessed on January 17, 2014