Uli Stein (cartoonist)
Stein was born the son of a civil servant and a housewife. He attended the Goethe School in Hanover. After completing his two-year military service, he moved to West Berlin and studied German, geography and biology for teaching at the Free University of Berlin . During his studies he worked as a freelance photographer and copywriter for newspapers. Shortly before his exams, he broke off his studies with the aim of becoming a full-time journalist. He then worked as a journalist, including six years for Saarländischer Rundfunk , until he concentrated entirely on drawing in the late 1970s . In the meantime, Uli Stein is very active as a photographer and has published several illustrated books. In 2018 Uli Stein founded the Uli Stein Foundation for Animals in Need. He lives in Wedemark near Hanover.
Cartoons and books
The artist often recreates everyday situations with drawn animal figures such as mice, cats, dogs, penguins and pigs, alienated. The cartoons have been collected and thematically compiled as books by Lappan Verlag since 1984 , as well as internationally in Italy , France , Finland , Korea , the USA , the Netherlands and China . According to Uli Stein's agency Catprint Media, these books have sold over 11 million times so far. More than 180 million postcards with Uli Stein's drawings were sold. On the basis of his drawings, more than 1500 licensed articles have been created to date . For example, in 2001 the computer game Uli Stein Kuss-Shooter was published by Ravensburger Interactive Media . In the Moorhuhn -like game with graphics by Uli Stein, based on the fairy tale Frog Prince , frogs have to be kissed. Since 1998 the cartoonist has worked weekly for the television newspaper TV Hören undsehen .
Several exhibitions were created by Uli Stein. The exhibition “Wow, Wau” showed dog cartoons by Stein together with extraordinary real dog portraits that the dog lover and photo artist photographed himself. The Uli Stein exhibition "Have fun!" Shows over 160 framed pictures, idea sketches and drawings by the artist. The protagonists are mice, pigs, penguins, cats, dogs, frogs and vultures as well as Erwin and Martha, Stein's cucumber-nosed human couple with fried egg eyes. The exhibitions were u. a. shown in Meppen , Goslar , Wilhelmshaven and Lichtenwalde .
In 2005 special postage stamps in honor of Uli Stein with motifs of the famous "Stein-Maus" were issued in Switzerland . The Swiss Post was referring to the fact that some of Stein's first cartoons appeared in a Swiss music magazine in the mid-1970s. The German Post AG announced for Stamp born 2013 in three of the Uli Stein motifs created from the series "For the sport." The output of the three postage stamps in the values of 58 + 27, 90 + 40 and 145 + 55 Euro cents was done with the initial issue date May 2, 2013. The designs for the motive of Uli Stein come from Werner Hans Schmidt in Frankfurt am Main.
- Uli Stein: My diary . Lappan Verlag GmbH, Oldenburg 2006, ISBN 3-8303-3136-3 .
- Rita Schoeneberg: Uli Stein , in this: 13 out of 500,000 people from Hanover , Hamburg: Urban-Verlag, 1999, ISBN 3-924562-04-0 , pp. 94-100
- Literature by and about Uli Stein in the catalog of the German National Library
- Official website of Uli Stein
- Website for Stein's first internet cartoon
- Review of Uli Stein Mein Tagebuch (with picture of the draftsman)
- Illustrated birthday portrait with a review of Pisa II
- Uli Stein - to retire at the age of 70? Short interview on the anniversary
- Which school for my child? , Supplement to the Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung from January 12, 2011, p. 3
- Uli Stein founds a foundation for animals in need
- About the artist. In: catprint.de. Catprint Media, accessed on August 27, 2019 .
- Uli Stein - Kiss Shooter for MacOS PC. In: GamersGlobal.de. Retrieved August 17, 2019 .
- Kiss the frog. In: GameStar . May 2, 2001. Retrieved August 17, 2019 .
- Thorsten Wiesner: Snogging instead of shooting: The Uli-Stein-Kiss-Shooter. In: Golem.de . May 11, 2001, Retrieved August 7, 2019 .
- Uli Stein - The Exhibition , accessed on March 16, 2015
- Uli Stein - The Exhibition: Dates , accessed on March 16, 2015
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Steinfurth, Ulrich (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cartoonist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 26, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hanover|