Ulrich Gerhardt (radio play director)
After graduating from high school (1954) Ulrich Gerhardt studied drama at the Academy for Music and Theater Hanover (today University for Music, Theater and Media Hanover ). After working at the theater, he began studying theater studies, German studies at the Free University of Berlin . From 1960 he worked at RIAS Berlin as a director, mainly for literary programs, features and radio plays . In 1970 he took over the management of the word production department (lead director). During this time he took up artificial head stereophony and introduced it as a recording procedure for radio stations on the occasion of the radio exhibition in Berlin in 1973. In 1980 he switched to the radio play department (together with Dr. Garleff Zacharias-Langhans) and senior director at the Sender Freies Berlin . He has been a freelance radio play director since 1986 and works for all broadcasters on ARD , as well as for Deutschlandradio and ORF . Lecturer at several theater schools. He has been a member of the Berlin Academy of the Arts (Film and Media Art Section) and the German Academy of Performing Arts since 1993 .
In 2016 he donated his artistic archive to the archive of the Academy of Arts in Berlin.
Radio plays (selection)
- 1993 German German: Bereichtum (SWF)
- 1993 Crossing the Beresina - An Audio Archeology (BR)
- 1997 Hussah. Original sound Mielke & Gen. together with Joachim Walther (SWF / NDR)
- 2013 The Sources Speak - The Persecution and Murder of European Jews by National Socialist Germany 1933-1945 (BR)
- 2016 Morgan, Jaguar, Porsche and then the Alpine - Wolfram Siebeck tests sports cars (D-Kultur)
- 2017 My friend Lennie or the journey , director: the author, production: HR / Deutschlandfunk Kultur / RBB, length: 86'46 min., First broadcast on September 17, 2017
Radio play adaptations with direction (selection)
- Demolition by Alfred Bester, dummy head stereo , RIAS 1973.
- Elisabeth II by Thomas Bernhard, NDR 2004.
- Thomas Bernhard's lime works , DLR 2003.
- Logging by Thomas Bernhard, ORF 2005.
- Concrete by Thomas Bernhard, DLF 2005.
- The passport forger from Cioma Schönhaus, NDR 2005.
- Chourmo by Jean-Claude Izzo, DLR 2003.
- Solea by Jean-Claude Izzo, DLR 2003.
- And I remember the sea by Mohammed Dib, DLR 2004.
- Take it or leave it by Raymond Federman, BR 1999.
- Cuts by Rolf Dieter Brinkmann, BR 1995.
- To a world filled with compromise we make no contribution by Rolf Dieter Brinkmann, BR 1996.
- Nothing works anymore from Max Aub, BR 2000.
- Theater of Hope by Max Aub, BR 2000.
- Bloody Game by Max Aub, BR 2001.
- The Hour of Betrayal by Max Aub, BR 2001.
- At the end of Max Aub's escape , BR 2002.
- Bitter almonds from Max Aub, BR 2003.
- Hussah - Original sound Mielke and comrades , SWF 1997.
- Gustav Chaluppa , SFB 2000.
- Max Aurach from WGSebald, BR 1995.
- Aurach's mother from WG Sebald, BR 1996.
- 1995: Rolf Dieter Brinkmann : cuts (radio play - BR)
- Metamorphoses by Richard Huelsenbeck, BR 1994.
- GFRG - Society for Religious Foundations by Carl Einstein, BR 1993.
- Heavenly Forgotten by Ekatarina Tomova, SWF 1995.
- Revenge of the Space Pandas by David Mamet, SWF 1999.
- The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg, HR 2003.
- Music from Gägelow by Horst Hussel, DLF 2002.
- The last nights in Paris by Philippe Soupault, DLR 2000.
- Joseph Mitchell : The Gypsies of New York (radio play - DKultur 2013)
Directorial work (selection)
- 1969: 12 houses - or Mövenpink by Friederike Mayröcker , RIAS
- 1971: Land Art by Friederike Mayröcker, SR
- 1973: Visit to a dying city by Rolf Dieter Brinkmann , BR
- 1978: Limbus I by Ingomar von Kieseritzky , BR
- 1979: The Academy of Ronald Steckel
- 1991: Lection I (in "Wüstensturm", texts for a radio play project) by Friederike Mayröcker, BR
- 1991: Code name poetry by Reiner Kunze , SFB
- 1991: War by Rainald Goetz , SWF
- 1991: The old woman from Daniil Charms , SFB / SDR
- 1991: Battles by Rainald Goetz, SWF
- 1992: Red Star by Simone Schneider, BR
- 1993: For tea with Dr. Borsig from Heinrich Böll , HR
- 1993: Steps for waiters by Ute-Christine Krupp, SR
- 1993: The sound of David Mamet , SWF
- 1994: How to create different noises by Helmut Eisendle, SFB
- 1995: About the Germans by Gerd Fuchs / Saul K. Padover, SWF
- 1997: Oh dear Augustin, how happy I am by Ines Geipel / Heike Tauch (ORB / DLF)
- 1998: In the basement of Jan Philipp Reemtsma , NDR
- 1998: Conversations with the living and the dead by Svetlana Alexijewitsch , SR / NDR / SFB-ORB / WDR
- 1999: Goethe in Dachau by Nico Rost , DLR
- 2000: The novel of a fateless person by Imre Kertész , NDR
- 2001: Will no longer graze, Requiem for Ernst Jandl by Friederike Mayröcker, BR
- 2001: In the lineage of Claudia Wolff, WDR
- 2003: Parsifal in Venice by Giuseppe Sinopoli, SFB
- 2006: King by Michel Vinaver , DKultur
- 2008: Zeppelini by Dunja Arnaszus , RBB / DLF
- 2012: Poison from Lot Vekemans (MDR)
- 2019: England is different: Mr. Siebeck is traveling the island , Deutschlandfunk Kultur 2019, length: 56'19.
- 1963 ARD Kurt Magnus Prize
- 1973 The golden microphone for Demolition by Alfred Bester. Editing, production and presentation at the radio exhibition Berlin of the first radio play in artificial head stereophony
- 1992 Radio Play Prize of the Academy of Arts (loudspeaker) ; Bronze Medal, The New York Festivals 1993 for Red Star by Simone Schneider
- 1993 Karl Sczuka Prize for crossing over the Beresina from Ulrich Gerhardt
- 1994 Radio play of the year for Metamorphoses by Richard Huelsenbeck, adaptation by Ulrich Gerhardt
- 1998 Radio play of the year for Im Keller by Jan Philipp Reemtsma, adaptation by Charlotte Drews-Bernstein
- 1999 Radio Play of the Year , Robert Geisendörfer Prize for Conversations with the Living and the Dead by Svetlana Alexijewitsch, adaptation by Frank Werner
- 2002 Radio Play Prize of the Academy of Arts (loudspeakers) for music from Gägelow by Horst Hussel, arrangement by Ulrich Gerhardt
- 2004 radio play of the year (Austria) for wood felling by Thomas Bernhard
- 2014 German Record Critics' Award for Hidden Chronicle 1914 by Lisbeth Exner and Herbert Kapfer , directed by Ulrich Gerhardt
- 2016 German Audiobook Award , Best Publishing Achievement category for Die Quellen Quellen sein. The persecution and murder of European Jews by National Socialist Germany 1933-1945 by Hörverlag / BR radio play and media art , Matthias Brandt, Bibiana Beglau, directed by Ulrich Gerhardt
- 2017 Radio play of the month September for Ulrich Gerhardt Mein Freund Lennie or Die Reise
- Publications by Ulrich Gerhardt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Ulrich Gerhardt Archive in the Archive of the Academy of Arts, Berlin
- Film and Media Art - Members , Akademie der Künste Berlin, accessed September 17, 2017
- Ulrich Gerhardt Archive Inventory overview on the website of the Akademie der Künste in Berlin.
- The sources speak. Retrieved October 5, 2017 .
- "Reunion after 70 years" , Deutschlandfunk Kultur September 17, 2017, accessed September 17, 2017
- Radio play : Der Feinschmecker in England: "England ist anders" , deutschlandfunkkultur.de, accessed November 27, 2019
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German director and radio play director of the SFB|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 5, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|