Volker Reinhardt (historian)
Volker Reinhardt (born June 21, 1954 in Rendsburg ) is a German historian . Since 1992 he has been professor of general and Swiss modern history at the University of Friborg . He is an expert on the Italian Renaissance . He has dealt intensively with the history of the papacy.
Live and act
Volker Reinhardt comes from an educated middle class family. His father was a doctor of history and a senior teacher. His mother was an editor. Reinhardt studied history and Romance philology at the Universities of Kiel , Freiburg im Breisgau and Rome . In 1975 he passed the state examination in history in Freiburg im Breisgau, and in 1976 in Romance studies. From 1977 to 1984 he had a research stay in Rome. In 1981 he received his doctorate with Wolfgang Reinhard in Freiburg im Breisgau with a thesis on the finances of Cardinal Scipione Borghese . In 1983 he married in Munich. From 1985 to 1991 he was a university assistant in Freiburg im Breisgau; In 1989 he completed his habilitation there under Wolfgang Reinhard with the work Survival in the Early Modern City. Annona and grain supply in Rome 1563–1797 . In 1991 he was a university lecturer there. Reinhardt has been a full professor of general and modern Swiss history at the University of Friborg in Switzerland since 1992. There he is liaison lecturer of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom .
Reinhardt is an expert on the Italian Renaissance. He wrote depictions of the Medici family , the Borgia and Pope Alexander VI. In recognition of his work on the Italian Renaissance, he was accepted into the European Academy of Sciences and Arts on March 3, 2012 . For his biography Machiavelli or The Art of Power , Reinhardt was awarded the first "Golo-Mann Prize for Historiography" in 2013 by the Lübeck Golo-Mann Society. In 2009 he published a description of the Sacco di Roma 1527. Based on years of source and research work, he presented a description of Martin Luther in 2016 . He published numerous works on the papacy from the 15th to the 17th centuries. In 2017 he published a history of the popes from the beginnings to the present.
In his biography Leonardo da Vinci , published in 2018, he designed, according to the FAZ reviewer, “a completely new, radical image” of the artist: “Leonardo, the militant atheist and nonconformist, who in his works subversively opposes the church, faith and even his own Client proceeded. "
Reinhardt is co-editor of the WBG series Geschichte compact .
- The power of beauty. Cultural history of Italy. CH Beck, Munich 2019, ISBN 978-3-406-74105-0 (Volkmar Mühleis: Review , Deutschlandfunk Büchermarkt. Book of the week of December 8, 2019).
- Leonardo da Vinci. The eye of the world. CH Beck, Munich 2018, ISBN 978-3406724732 .
- Pontiff. The history of the Popes. CH Beck, Munich 2017, ISBN 978-3406703812 .
- Luther the heretic. Rome and the Reformation. CH Beck, Munich 2016, ISBN 978-3-406-68828-7 (Michael Weise: Review , Wissenschaftlicher Literaturanzeiger, 2016).
- De Sade or The Measurement of Evil. A biography. CH Beck, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-406-66515-8 (Adrian Gmelch: Review , Francia-Recensio , 2015, no. 1).
- Pius II Piccolomini. The Pope with whom the Renaissance began. A biography. CH Beck, Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-406-65562-3 .
- Machiavelli or The Art of Power. Biography. CH Beck, Munich 2012, ISBN 978-3-406-63017-0 .
- The Borgia. Story of a scary family. CH Beck, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-406-62665-4 ; 3rd, through Edition 2013, ISBN 978-3-406-62665-4 .
- The creepy Pope. Alexander VI. Borgia 1431-1503. 2nd Edition. CH Beck, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-406-62694-4 .
- The divine. Life of Michelangelo, biography. CH Beck, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-406-59784-8 .
- Bloody carnival. The Sacco di Roma 1527 - a political catastrophe. 2nd unchanged edition (unchanged reprint of the 1st edition 2009), Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, Darmstadt 2009, ISBN 978-3-534-23281-9 .
- The tyranny of virtue. Calvin and the Reformation in Geneva. CH Beck, Munich 2009, ISBN 978-3-406-57556-3 ( Thomas Kaufmann : Review , H-Soz-Kult , 2009).
- Francesco Vettori (1474–1539): The Game of Power (= Small Political Writings. Vol. 14). Wallstein, Göttingen 2007, ISBN 978-3-8353-0198-6 .
- History of rome. From antiquity to the present. CH Beck, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-406-57714-7 .
- History of Switzerland. 5th updated edition. CH Beck, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-406-53601-4 .
- with Arne Karsten : Cardinals, artists, courtesans: true stories from papal Rome. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 2004, ISBN 3-534-17677-4 .
- The Medici. Florence in the age of the Renaissance. CH Beck, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-406-44028-2 ; 5th, through. Edition 2013, ISBN 978-3-406-44028-1 .
- History of Italy. From late antiquity to the present. CH Beck, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-406-50284-9 .
- The renaissance in Italy. History and culture. CH Beck, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-406-47991-X .
- Surviving in the early modern city. Annona and grain supply in Rome 1563–1797 (= library of the German Historical Institute in Rome. Vol. 72). Niemeyer, Tübingen 1991, ISBN 3-484-82072-1 (Partly at the same time: Freiburg im Breisgau, University, habilitation thesis).
- Cardinal Scipione Borghese (1605-1633). Assets, finances and social advancement of a papal republic. Niemeyer, Tübingen 1984, ISBN 3-484-82058-6 (partially at the same time: Freiburg im Breisgau, University, dissertation, 1981 under the title: The finances of Cardinal Scipione Borghese (1605-1633) ).
- Literature by and about Volker Reinhardt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Reinhardt at the University of Freiburg
- "In Germany two opposing images of Switzerland are competing". A conversation with the historian Volker Reinhardt. In: Neue Zürcher Zeitung , April 29, 2009.
- Deutschlandfunk cultural issues. Debates and documents of January 6, 2019: The role of the outsider as a driver? About Leonardo da Vinci and his time
- Eins-zu-Eins-Der-Talk with Volker Reinhard (MP3; 37.8 MB) ( Memento from December 2, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- Honorable nomination for Prof. Mariano Delgado and Prof. Volker Reinhardt , unifr.ch, February 28, 2012.
- Historian Reinhardt receives the Golo Mann Prize for History , welt.de, July 23, 2013.
- See the reviews by Konrad Fuchs in: Nassauische Annalen 121 (2010), pp. 499–500; Bernward Schmidt in: Journal for historical research . 37, 2010, pp. 158-159.
- See the reviews of Margot Klee in: Nassauische Annalen 129 (2018), pp. 473–474; Harm Klueting in: Vierteljahrschrift für Sozial- und Wirtschaftsgeschichte 105 (2018), pp. 88–89 ( online ); Marcel Nieden in: Journal for Bavarian Church History 85, 2016, 260–263.
- See the reviews by Bernward Schmidt in: Zeitschrift für Historische Forschung 46 (2019), pp. 483–485 ( online ); Stefan Weinfurter in: Rottenburger Jahrbuch für Kirchengeschichte 37 (2018), p. 263.
- Benjamin Paul: A money sack must be enough for Judas, in: FAZ No. 286, December 8, 2018, p. 12.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 21, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rendsburg|