Leu came from a Hamburg working class family . After attending primary school, he learned the trade of machinist . As a young man he took part in the life of the Communist Youth Association of Germany (KJVD) and did sports in the Fichte Workers' Sports Association (ASV). In 1929 he joined the Communist Party of Germany (KPD) and also joined the Red Aid Germany (RHD). In 1931 he attended the Reich Party School of the KPD and thus moved up to the category of party members who were given a leading position. He became an operating cell instructor in Hamburg-Rothenburgsort .
After the seizure of power of the Nazi party , he was in 1934 by the Gestapo in " protective custody taken" and by a court because of "conspiracy to high treason " to a prison term sentenced by a year and several months. After his release he continued to work illegally against fascism. With the beginning of the Second World War he joined the resistance group “ Bästlein-Jacob-Abshagen ”, which campaigned for the support of foreign forced laborers . When this group was broken up, he went to Berlin in 1940 , but lived at Brunhildenstrasse 40 in Bernau . Here he participated in the " Saefkow-Jacob-Bästlein " resistance group, which was reorganized there after the Hamburg resistance network was destroyed. Anton Saefkow tried to rebuild the Berlin district leadership of the KPD and to reform the resistance organization. He helped u. a. also Walter Leu.
When the Gestapo was able to reveal the group's work through betrayal , Leu was one of 280 people arrested in July 1944 and murdered in prisons and concentration camps . Walter Leu died on April 5, according to other sources on April 9, 1944 in the remand prison in Berlin-Moabit.
Walter Leu was married to Lisbeth Leu.
- Ursel Hochmuth : Illegal KPD and the "Free Germany" movement in Berlin and Brandenburg 1942–1945 . Hentrich & Hentrich, 1998, ISBN 9783933471086 .
- Ursel Hochmuth, Gertrud Meyer : Streiflichter from the Hamburg resistance 1933–1945: reports and documents
- Ursel Hochmuth: Illegal KPD and movement "Free Germany" in Berlin and Brandenburg 1942 - 1945 . Hentrich & Hentrich, 1998, ISBN 9783933471086 . on Google Books. Retrieved September 26, 2011
- Walter Leu in the Federal Archives ( Memento of the original from January 21, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved September 26, 2011
- Klaus Mammach: Resistance 1939-1945. History of the German anti-fascist resistance movement at home and in emigration , Berlin 1987, p. 141
- Hans-Joachim Fieber, Lothar Berthold, Michele Barricelli: Resistance in Berlin against the Nazi regime 1933 to 1945: a biographical lexicon, Volume 5 . Trafo Verlag, 2005, ISBN 9783896263551 . on Google Books. Retrieved September 26, 2011
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German communist and resistance fighter against National Socialism|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 15, 1908|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hamburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 5, 1944|
|Place of death||Berlin-Moabit|