Heyl, son of a merchant, attended elementary and high school in Borna . He completed an apprenticeship as a carpenter. He joined the NSDAP in 1939 at the age of 18 . From 1941 he did military service in the Wehrmacht . In 1945 he was briefly taken as a first lieutenant by Soviet and then American prisoners of war.
In 1949 he became a member of the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU). From 1949 to 1953 he was a member of the Borna city council. From 1952 to 1954 he acted as organizational secretary and deputy chairman of the CDU district association in Leipzig . From 1954 to 1958 he was chairman of the CDU district committee in Leipzig. From 1958 to 1966 Heyl worked as deputy CDU general secretary, from 1966 to 1971 he was a member of the presidium and the secretariat of the CDU main board. He was then deputy CDU chairman from 1976 to 1989 and temporarily acting CDU chairman from November 2 to 10, 1989.
From 1953 to 1958 he was a member of the CDU in the Leipzig district assembly , from 1958 to March 1990 a member of the People's Chamber of the GDR. From 1963 to 1989 he was chairman of the CDU parliamentary group there. From 1963 to 1967 he was secretary of the committee for industry, construction and transport, from 1967 first deputy chairman of the committee for budget and finance. Since 1971 he was chairman of the committee for foreign affairs of the people chamber. From 1976 to November 1989 Heyl was a member of the Presidium of the People's Chamber.
From 1967 to 1971 and 1976 to 1986 he was deputy chairman of the Interparliamentary Society of the GDR.
From 1966 Heyl was a member of the Presidium of the National Council of the National Front, from 1974 a member of the Presidium of the Peace Council of the GDR and from 1975 a member of the Presidium of the League for Friendship of Nations. Heyl was also deputy chairman of the GDR-Austria friendship society.
- Gold Medal of Honor for the Patriotic Order of Merit (1977)
- Gold Star of Friendship of Nations (1981)
- Hero of Labor (1986)
- The Federal Republic, a model? Secretariat of the main board of the CDU, Berlin 1969.
- Christian in socialism. Freedom and service. From speeches and essays 1958–1980 . Union, Berlin 1980.
Notebooks from Burgscheidungen
- There is no third way . Central training center "Otto Nuschke", Burgscheidungen 1960.
- Splendor and misery of the Adenauer CDU . Central training center "Otto Nuschke", Burgscheidungen 1963.
- Scientific leadership - a prerequisite for new successes . Central training center "Otto Nuschke", Burgscheidungen 1964.
- Twenty years of democratic land reform . Central training center "Otto Nuschke", Burgscheidungen 1965.
- What our party history teaches . Union, Berlin 1970.
- Experiences and results: for the World Congress of Peace Forces . Union, Berlin 1974.
- Responsibility and willingness to act: to problems of management activity . Union, Berlin 1975.
- Christians in engagement - today and tomorrow . Union, Berlin 1976
- Christian Faith and Social Progress. Christians in the Alliance for Peace and Social Justice . Union, Berlin 1977.
- Opportunities for Peace: Considerations after the World Conference “Religious Representatives for the Salvation of the Sacred Gift of Life from a Nuclear Catastrophe” . Union, Berlin 1982.
- Preserving and shaping: on some socio-political aspects of the national culture . Union, Berlin 1983.
- For Security and Cooperation in Europe: 10 Years of the Helsinki Conference Final Act . Union, Berlin 1984.
- CDU in the alliance: on some aspects of growth and the importance of alliance policy . Union, Berlin 1985.
- Harmony of rationality and humanity: on socio-ethical aspects of the economy of the GDR . Union, Berlin 1987.
- Short biography for: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition. Volume 1. Ch. Links, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-86153-561-4 . . In:
- Berliner Zeitung , May 19, 2014. P. 21.
- Neues Deutschland , 8./9. October 1977, p. 5.
- Berliner Zeitung , October 6, 1981, p. 4.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (NSDAP, CDU), MdV|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 21, 1921|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Borna|
|DATE OF DEATH||19th May 2014|