Wolfgang Lazius , actually Wolfgang Laz (born October 31, 1514 in Vienna ; † June 19, 1565 ibid) was a humanist scholar. He wrote the first printed history of the city of Vienna and, as a cartographer, made a description of Hungary's country. He was professor of medicine at the University of Vienna and imperial personal physician to Ferdinand I.
Live and act
The son of the Stuttgart-born doctor of medicine and philosophy Simon Laz also studied philosophy and medicine in Vienna and Ingolstadt . In Ingolstadt he obtained his doctorate. From 1530 he practiced in Wiener Neustadt . In 1536 he became a lecturer at the University of Vienna and then went to Hungary as a military doctor. From 1541 he became a professor at the Medical Faculty of the University of Vienna and was dean eight times and rector twice.
He made a number of individual maps of Austria and Hungary (1545–1556) and finally a complete atlas "Typi chorographici Austriae" (1561), for which he engraved the maps himself . Eventually he became Emperor Ferdinand I's personal physician and head of the imperial collections. He went on trips to collect scientific documents. He received the title of nobility and from then on could call himself Wolfgang von Lazius . He wrote the first history of the Austrian capital Vienna and left important thematic maps of Bavaria and the Rhine (1545), Greece (1558) and Peloponnese (1558).
His gravestone is in St. Peter's Church in Vienna, which he had renovated at his own expense between 1555 and 1557. The inscription reads:
The honorable, noble, extremely famous and highly educated man, Mr. Wolfgang Lazius from Vienna, doctor of philosophy and medicine, and highest-ranking professor of the famous Viennese grammar school, rector and imperial superintendent and the holy imperial majesty Ferdinand, a very experienced historiographer, died on June 19, 1565, erected in blessed memory in 1686.
Lazius' not insignificant library was united with the imperial one after his death.
In 1982 Laziusstrasse in Vienna- Liesing was named after him.
- Vienna Austriae. Rerum Viennensium commentarij in quartuor libros distincti . Basel 1546 (first city history of Vienna)
- Commentariorum Reipublicae Romanae illius in exteris provinciis bello acquisitis constitutae libri XII . Basel 1551
- The hunger of the Khuni empire sampled its incarnate lands with thorough and accurate chorographical descriptions . Vienna: Zimmermann, 1556
- De aliquot gentium migrationibus sedibus fixis, reliquiis, linguarumque, initiis (et) immutationibus ac dialectis . Basel: Off. Oporiniana, 1557 (on the Great Migration)
- Typi chorographici provinciae Austriae cum explicatione earundem pro commentariis rerum austriacarum concinnati . Vienna: Zimmermann, 1561 (oldest Austrian atlas)
- ↑ Joachim G. Leithäuser: Mappae Mundi, the spiritual conquest of the world , Berlin 1958, in the directory of cartographers , p. 366.
- ^ Aloys Bergenstamm : Inscriptions in crypts, columns, foundation stones and houses in Vienna . In: Gerhard Fischer (ed.), Because the shape of this world passes , history of the churches .. of the city of Vienna, recorded by the antiquity friend Aloys Bergenstamm (1754–1821), daedalus Verlag 1996. ISBN 3-900911-07-X , P. 204.
- Adalbert Heinrich Horawitz : Lazius, Wolfgang . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 18, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1883, pp. 89-93.
- Max Kratochwill: Lazius, Wolfgang. In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 14, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1985, ISBN 3-428-00195-8 , p. 14 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Michael Mayr : Wolfgang Lazius as historian of Austria: a contribution to the historiography of the 16th century. With additions to the biography . Wagner University Bookstore, Innsbruck 1894 ( digitized version )
- Eugen Oberhummer , Franz von Wieser (Ed.): Wolfgang Lazius. Maps of the Austrian lands and the Kingdom of Hungary from the years 1545-1563 . Innsbruck 1906.
- Petra Svatek: The history maps of Wolfgang Lazius - the beginnings of thematic cartography in Austria. In: Cartographica Helvetica , Heft 37 (2008) pp. 35–43 full text
- Entry on Wolfgang Lazius in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Works by and about Wolfgang Lazius in the German Digital Library
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Laz, Wolfgang (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian humanist, historian and cartographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 31, 1514|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 19, 1565|
|Place of death||Vienna|