Tibetan script :
ཡོན་ ཏན་ རྒྱ་ མཚོ
Wylie transliteration :
yon tan rgya mtsho
Pronunciation in IPA :
[ jø̃tɛ̃ catsʰɔ ]
Official transcription of the PRCh :
THDL transcription :
Yönten Gyatsho, Yonten Gyatsho, Yontan Gyatsho
雲 丹嘉 措
云 丹嘉 措
Yönten Gyatsho (born 1589 in the Right Tumed-Banner , city of Baotou , Inner Mongolia , died 1617 in Drepung Monastery , city of Lhasa , Tibet ) was the fourth Dalai Lama and, as a descendant from an influential Mongolian princely house (his great-grandfather was Altan Khan ), the only one Non- Tibetans among the Dalai Lamas.
The tradition of mutual religious instruction began between Yönten Gyatsho and Penchen Lama Lobsang Chökyi Gyeltshen in Trashilhünpo . The incumbent head of the Gelugpa , Ganden Thripa , suggested to Yönten Gyatsho that he go to Trashilhünpo and be instructed by the scholar, who was then known throughout Tibet. Eventually Penchen Lobsang Chökyi Gyeltshen took his monastic vows from him.
- Günther Schulemann : The History of the Dalai Lamas. Leipzig 1958, .
- Andreas Gruschke: Diederichs compact - Dalai Lama . Kreuzlingen - Munich 2003, ISBN 3-7205-2461-2 .
- Martin Brauen (Ed.): The Dalai Lamas . Ethnological Museum of the University of Zurich , Zurich 2005, ISBN 3-89790-219-2 .
- Karl-Heinz Golzio, Pietro Bandini: The fourteen rebirths of the Dalai Lama . OW Barth, Bern / Munich / Vienna 1997, ISBN 3-502-61002-9 .
- 过往 千年 事 包头 觅 遗 踪. (No longer available online.) 北京 九三学社 December 22, 2010, archived from the original on February 7, 2016 ; Retrieved December 14, 2014 (Chinese). Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||yon tan rgya mtsho; Yonnten Gyatso|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||fourth Dalai Lama|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1589|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Right tumed banner , Baoutou City , Inner Mongolia|
|DATE OF DEATH||1617|
|Place of death||Monastery Drepung , city Lhasa , Tibet|