Andrei Andrejewitsch Markow (mathematician, 1856)
Andrei Andrejewitsch Markow ( Russian Андрей Андреевич Марков , scientific transliteration Andrej Andreevič Markov , formerly also transcribed as Markoff; * June 2 July / June 14, 1856 greg. In Ryazan ; † July 20, 1922 in Petrograd ) was a Russian mathematician , who made significant contributions to probability theory and analysis .
Markov was born in Ryazan . He studied from 1874 to 1880 with Pafnuti Tschebyschow in Saint Petersburg . In 1885 he defended his habilitation thesis on some applications of algebraic continued fractions and in 1886 became an associate professor at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics at the Imperial University of Saint Petersburg . In the same year he became a member of the Russian Academy of Sciences .
His brother Wladimir Andrejewitsch Markow (1871-1897) was also a mathematician who died early of tuberculosis. An inequality is named after the brothers.
His son Andrei Andrejewitsch Markow (1903–1979) was also a mathematician.
Markov is best known for the theory of stochastic processes : in 1913 he calculated the sequences of letters in Russian literature to prove the need for independence for the law of large numbers . The calculations could also be interpreted as a statement about the well-formedness of the orthography of letter strings. A general statistical tool, the so-called stochastic Markov process , developed from this approach , from which future developments can be determined on the basis of current knowledge. Today z. B. an application of so-called Hidden Markov Models in handwriting and speech recognition software . According to Markow u. a. the Markov chains , the Markov inequalities and the Gauss-Markow theorem .
- AA Markoff: Calculation of differences . BG Teubner, Leipzig 1896 ( (here online) [accessed on September 8, 2013]).
- AA Markoff: Probability Theory . BG Teubner, Leipzig 1912 ( (online here) (full text: Cornell University Library) [accessed on September 8, 2013] Translation of the 2nd Russian edition).
- Alexander A. Youschkevitch: Markov, Andrei Andreevich . In: Charles Coulston Gillispie (Ed.): Dictionary of Scientific Biography . tape 9 : AT Macrobius - KF Naumann . Charles Scribner's Sons, New York 1974, p. 124-130 .
- Literature by and about Andrei Andrejewitsch Markow in the catalog of the German National Library
- Markov and the Consequences - Project at the Humboldt University in Berlin
- Philipp von Hilgers, Wladimir Velminski (Ed.): Andrej A. Markov. Computable Arts , Zurich / Berlin: diaphanes , 2007. ISBN 978-3-935300-69-8
- John J. O'Connor, Edmund F. Robertson : Andrei Andrejewitsch Markow (mathematician, 1856). In: MacTutor History of Mathematics archive .
- Article Andrei Andrejewitsch Markow (mathematician, 1856) in the Great Soviet Encyclopedia (BSE) , 3rd edition 1969–1978 (Russian)http: //vorlage_gse.test/1%3D073824~2a%3D~2b%3DAndrei%20Andrejewitsch%20Markow%20%28Mathematiker%2C%201856%29
- Mathematics and poetry - Felix Philipp Ingold on Markow's contribution to quantitative text linguistics in the science newspaper Recherche (October 2009).
- Spektrum .de: Andrei Markow (1856–1922) June 1, 2016
|SURNAME||Markow, Andrei Andrejewitsch|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Марков, Андрей Андреевич (Russian)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Russian mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 14, 1856|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ryazan|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 20, 1922|
|Place of death||Petrograd|