Arnold F. Holleman
Holleman, whose father is a factory for madder had pigments, studied chemistry in Leiden, Heidelberg and Munich, was established in 1887 with Antoine Paul Nicolas Franchimont in Leiden doctorate (PhD Onderzoekingen over het zoogenaamde B nitrocymol ) and in 1887 assistant to Jacobus Henricus van ' t Hoff in Amsterdam. In 1889 he became director of the agricultural laboratory in Groningen and in 1893 professor of chemistry at the University of Groningen . In 1905 he became Professor of Organic Chemistry at the University of Amsterdam . In 1924 he retired as a university professor, but remained scientifically active.
Arnold F. Holleman's areas of work were structural clarifications, especially those of pop acid and fulminates , substitution reactions, especially with benzene , as well as work on artificial fertilization .
Holleman was the founding author of the textbook " Holleman-Wiberg: Textbook of Inorganic Chemistry ", which was later continued by Egon Wiberg and, after his death, by his son Nils Wiberg . The Holleman-Wiberg has been a standard work in German chemical textbook literature for decades and has over a hundred editions. It has also been translated into many other languages. The first Dutch edition appeared in 1898 ( Leerboek der inorganic chemie , Groningen: Wolters). In addition to his textbook on inorganic chemistry, his textbook on organic chemistry (which first appeared in Dutch in 1896 as Leerboek of organic chemistry (Groningen: Wolters) and was edited by JP Wibaut in its 17th edition in 1955) was also widely used.
Honors and memberships
He was a corresponding member of the Académie des sciences and a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences (1903), whose natural science department he headed from 1919 to 1926. Holleman has received honorary degrees from St. Andrews and Leeds , among others . In 1925 he became an honorary member of the Dutch Chemical Association (Nederlandse Chemische Vereniging). He was chairman of the international commission for organic chemical nomenclature. From 1928 to 1939 he was secretary of the Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen . He was an honorary member of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and the Spanish Chemical Society. He received the Nicolas Leblanc Medal from the French Chemical Society.
The Holleman Prize (Hollemanprijs) of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences is named after him. Prize winners were:
- 1959 Josef Ferdinand Arens
- 1964 Herman J. den Hertog
- 1969 Gerrit JM van der Kerk
- 1974 Thieme Jan de Boer
- 1979 Menno de Groot (MS de Groot)
- 1984 Robert Kaptein (* 1941)
- 1989 Anthony J. Pennings
- 1994 W. Nico Speckamp (University of Amsterdam)
- 2000 Binne Zwanenburg
- 2005 Piet van Leeuwen
- Twee Richtingen der Scheikunde met elkander verleken , inaugurele oratie (inaugural lecture) at the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen , 1893, published by JB Wolters, Groningen
- Leerboek der organic chemistry , JB Wolters, Groningen 1896, German from 1898 as a textbook on organic chemistry for students at universities and technical colleges ( 6th edition 1908 online ), 41 editions up to 1961 ( ISBN 978-3-11-000679-7 ) , edited from the 19th edition in 1930 by Friedrich Richter
- Leerboek der inorganic chemistry , JB Wolters, Groningen 1898, later editions edited by EHBüchner, EH Wiebenga
- Textbook of inorganic chemistry , 1900, in collaboration with and edited by Wilhelm Manchot , Verlag von Veit & Co., Leipzig, edited and edited since the 21st edition in 1936. a. by Ernst Hendrik Buchner , Egon Wiberg , 47. – 56. Edition Berlin 1960, 103rd edition 2016 ISBN 978-3-11-051854-2
- The direct introduction of substitutes in the benzene nucleus. Contribution to solving the substitution problem in aromatic compounds , Leipzig: Veit & Comp., 1910
- with Leonhard Schuler: Simple experiments in the field of organic chemistry: Instructions for students, teachers in secondary schools and seminars as well as for self-teaching. 9th, revised and expanded edition by Leonhard Schuler. De Gruyter, Berlin 1965.
- Poggendorff 7 b / 4, 2048-2049.
- JP Wibaut: Levens report AF Holleman . In: Jaarboek KNAW, 1954-1955, Amsterdam, pp. 280-287
- Literature by and about Arnold F. Holleman in the catalog of the German National Library
- Institute for Dutch History: Holleman, Arnold Frederik (Dutch)
- Life data, publications and academic family tree of Arnold F. Holleman at academictree.org
- Catalog of professors Groningen
- data, publications and academic family tree of Arnold F. Holleman at academictree.org, accessed on February 12, 2018.
- KNAW: Hollemanprijs
- Henk Kubbinga, De molecularisering van het wereldbeeld , Uitgeeverij Verloren, Hilversum, 2003, p. 326 ( limited preview in the Google book search)
|SURNAME||Holleman, Arnold F.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Holleman, Arnold Frederic (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch chemist and professor of chemistry|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 28, 1859|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oisterwijk|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 11, 1953|
|Place of death||Bloemendaal|