Falk grew up in Tel Aviv . After graduating from Aleph Municipal High School in 1960, he studied mathematics and psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (B. Soc. Sc. 1965). In 1970 he earned a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the Department of Psychology at Washington University in St. Louis . From 1960 to 1962 he did military service in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and was subsequently a reserve officer in the military medical service (last rank: captain ). There he treated u. a. Soldiers with war trauma ( post-traumatic stress disorder ).
In 1972/73 he was a postdoc in family psychotherapy at the School of Social Work at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. From 1976 to 1979 he was a clinical lecturer in psychiatry at the Hebrew University and Hadassah Medical School Jerusalem. In 1987 he was a Rockefeller guest at Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio (Italy). He taught at the Hebrew University and Hadassah Medical School from 1971 to 1982 and at the Hebrew Union College in Jerusalem in 1988/89 . Guest lectureships have taken him to various universities and scientific societies in the USA, Israel and Europe.
He was u. a. Member / Fellow in the National Committee (Clinical Division) of the Israel Psychological Association, the Israel Association for Psychotherapy, the International Society of Political Psychology and the International Napoleonic Society . He was also a member of the editorial board of the journals Political Psychology (1986–1989), The Psychoanalytic Study of Society (1989–1995) and Psychoanalysis and History (1999). He is currently a member of the Association for the Psychoanalysis of Culture and Society, the National Coalition of Independent Scholars, and the American Historical Association's Group for the Use of Psychology in History .
From 1971 to 1995 he worked as a psychologist , psychotherapist and supervisor for various health centers in Jerusalem. Since 1983 he has been working intensively on applied psychoanalysis , psychobiography, psychohistory and psychogeography . He is the author of several psychoanalytical books (including on Napoleon Bonaparte , Theodor Herzl , anti-Semitism , Barack Obama ). He presented several articles at international scientific conferences (including in the field of political psychology ).
He has lived and worked in Jerusalem since 1960 .
Falk is a grandson of the Polish textile manufacturer and Holocaust victim Josef Zwi Szpiro , who made a Torah scroll from olive wood in Jerusalem in the 1920s in memory of his mother. He donated this to the synagogue in Zgierz (Poland), which was destroyed in 1939 . The Torah disk was most recently in the possession of the Tübingen City Museum , which it received from the estate of the Tübingen theology professor Otto Michel . In the 2000s, the Tübingen historian Hans-Joachim Lang identified Falk's descendant via the Yad Vashem memorial , who in turn received the Torah pane in 2011 from the Mayor of Tübingen, Boris Palmer .
- 2006: Outstanding Academic Title, Choice, American Library Association ( Fratricide in the Holy Land A Psychoanalytic View of the Arab-Israeli Conflict )
- Herzl, King of the Jews. A Psychoanalytic Biography of Theodor Herzl . University Press of America, Lanham 1993, ISBN 0-8191-8925-1 .
- A Psychoanalytic History of the Jews . Associated University Presses, Cranbury 1996, ISBN 0-8386-3660-8 .
- Fratricide in the Holy Land A Psychoanalytic View of the Arab-Israeli Conflict . University of Wisconsin Press, Madison 2004, ISBN 0-299-20250-X .
- Napoleon Against Himself. A Psychobiography , Pitchstone Publishing, Charlottesville 2007, ISBN 978-0-9728875-6-4 .
- Anti-semitism. A History and Psychoanalysis of Contemporary Hatred . Praeger, Westport 2008, ISBN 978-0-313-35384-0 .
- Islamic terror. Conscious and Unconscious Motives . Praeger, Westport 2008, ISBN 978-0-313-35764-0 .
- Franks and Saracens. Reality and Fantasy in the Crusades . Karnac Books, London 2010, ISBN 978-1-78049-249-0 .
- The Riddle of Barack Obama. A psychobiography . Praeger, Westport 2010, ISBN 978-0-313-38587-2 .
- Search for Avner Falk in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Avner Falk website
- Michael Petersen: Torah disk on the way to Jerusalem . stuttgarter-zeitung.de, November 25, 2011.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||אבנר פלק (Hebrew)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Israeli clinical psychologist and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 2, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Palestine|