|Besselgymnasium in the city of Minden|
|type of school||high school|
Hahler Strasse 134
|carrier||City of Minden|
|student||1030 (595 m / 435 f) (2014)|
The Besselschule in Minden was founded in 1896 and opened a year later at Easter as a secondary school in Minden. The expansion to the secondary school from 1904 made it possible to acquire school- leaving certificates for the first time in 1907 .
Initially, the upper secondary school with the Mindener Gymnasium was housed in a school building on Immanuelstrasse built in 1880, which was largely designed by the architect Eduard Heldberg . In 1920 these two schools separated spatially and the grammar school moved out. The Besseloberrealschule, as it was called from 1921 after the astronomer and mathematician Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel , stayed in this building until the move to a new building on Hahler Strasse in 1975. The cathedral school (elementary school) moved into the old building on Immanuelstrasse. At this time, the first co-educational classes were introduced at the school, which was previously only attended by boys. The current location received an extension in 2000.
The Besselgymnasium has a long tradition of rowing. From 1939, investments were made in their own boats. Initially located on the pioneer training area in the 1960s, the wheelhouse on the branch canal of the pumping station of the Minden waterway intersection was built.
A sports performance course was set up for the first time at the Besselgymnasium in 1976; In addition to schools in Düsseldorf, Dortmund, Münster and Solingen, the Besselgymnasium has been one of the first five NRW sports schools in North Rhine-Westphalia since the 2008/2009 school year . In addition to traditional rowing , handball , athletics and volleyball are offered as profile sports. On May 28, 2014, a new sports hall was inaugurated, to the financing of which local sponsors made a decisive contribution; with it, the capacity for physical education is considerably expanded.
In addition, the school has a scientific - mathematical profile and a foreign language focus with bilingual (German / English) courses. English , French , Latin and Spanish are taught as foreign languages .
The Besselgymnasium traditionally practices rowing. The foundations for this have been laid with the boathouse at Wasserstraßenkreuz and the Besselgymnasium rowing school in the Bessel Ruder Club eV.
The Bessel Prize is the school's highest award and is awarded annually to pupils who have performed particularly well for the school community.
In 2014 Philipp Baumgard received it, who as the helmsman of the rudder eight achieved an exemplary performance outside of school, he won the gold medal of the Bessel eight in youth training for the Olympics (national competition) and the silver medal at the Junior World Championship in Germany four-man with helmsman.
Besselgymnasium maintains partnerships with Eltham College in England, Lyceum No. 23 in Kaliningrad (Koenigsberg) in Russia, Lycée Jean Bart in Dunkerque (Dunkirk) in France and Broad Run High School in Ashburn (Virginia) in the USA. There are regular student exchanges between the Besselgymnasium and these schools.
- 2011: 2 silver medals in rowing at the national competition (youth trains for the Olympics)
- 2013: Gold medal for the Besselachter in rowing at the national competition (youth trains for the Olympics)
The school community of the Besselgymnasium initiated the construction of a planetary path in 1996, which was realized with sponsor support. It represents the proportions of the solar system in a ratio of 1: 1 billion.
- Walter Demberg (1959–1971)
- Heinz-Friedrich Schöpker (1971–1992)
- Eva Kutschera (1992-2010)
- Uwe Voelzke (2010-2020)
- Andy Kracht (since 2020)
Former students of the Besselgymnasium
- Björn Buhrmester , German handball player
- Manfred Dammeyer , politician (SPD), NRW state minister
- Frank Domeier , writer
- Friedhelm Farthmann , politician (SPD), NRW state minister
- Siegfried Fleissner , Mayor of the City of Minden
- Karl Peter Grotemeyer , mathematician, rector of Bielefeld University
- Wolfgang Hempel , archive manager
- Uwe Hericks , educational scientist
- Matthias Kalle , author
- Steffen Kampeter , politician (CDU), Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Minister of Finance
- Jörg Kastner , writer
- Ralf Niermann , politician (SPD), district administrator of the Minden-Lübbecke district
- Heinz Paetzold , philosopher
- Günter Scheja , mathematician
- Hans Schwier , politician (SPD), NRW state minister
- Dierk Starnitzke , theologian
- Besselgymnasium of the city of Minden (ed.): 100 years of the Besselgymnasium Minden . Minden 1996
- Reinhard Glaß: Architects and artists with direct reference to Conrad Wilhelm Hase , accessed on October 2, 2013
- rowers of the Besselgymnasium Minden , accessed on October 20, 2014.
- History of the Bessel rowing team
- Mindener Tageblatt dated November 12, 2010 ( Memento of the original dated February 11, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved July 27, 2011
- Mindener Tageblatt: Philipp Baumgard honored with the Bessel Prize, edition of April 14, 2014, accessed on April 15, 2014
- Homepage Eltham College ( Memento of the original from March 8, 2005 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Homepage Lycée Jean Bart
- Homepage Broad Run High School
- Partner of the Besselgymnasium , homepage of the Besselgymnasium, accessed July 27, 2011