British Isles is a common term for an in northwest Europe lying archipelago . The islands include Great Britain , Ireland , the Hebrides , Shetland , Orkney , the Isle of Man , Isles of Scilly , Anglesey, and the Isle of Wight .
For political, historical and cultural reasons, the term British Isles is not very clearly defined. On the one hand, it is politically controversial whether the island of Ireland should be added to the British Isles, although it is geographically part of the archipelago. On the other hand, the Channel Islands located in the English Channel , which are geographically included in mainland Europe, are counted among the British Isles for political reasons.
The history of the term British Isles seems to go back to an ancient name for the Pretan Islands , although the term was not particularly fluent. The reintroduction of the term was not least related to the territorial expansionism of the English and British crowns.
Including Ireland and excluding the Channel Islands, the archipelago comprises around 6000 islands with a total area of 315,134 km².
The British Isles are surrounded by the North Sea , the English Channel and the Atlantic . The Irish Sea , along with the St. George's Channel and the North Channel, lies between the islands of Ireland and Great Britain.
The inclusion of the island of Ireland in the British Isles is controversial, as it calls into question the sovereignty of the Republic of Ireland in the view of many Irish and in part also the Irish government and is a misleading label with regard to Ireland's historical and cultural identity.
This is justified, among other things, with the similarity of the names British Isles and Great Britain (especially English British Isles and English Britain ). The similarity is not surprising, since the name of the archipelago is derived from the name of its largest island. In addition, the state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is often colloquially referred to as Great Britain , which at least not contradicts the British Isles to belong to the United Kingdom.
In Ireland, therefore, the term British Isles and Ireland or Great Britain and Ireland ( Britain and Ireland ) has become established.
Dominions in the territory of the British Isles
- High Kingship of Ireland , until 1169
- British tribes, up to about 70
- Pictland , until the 9th century
- Roman Britannia , 43 to about 410
- Independent British and Welsh principalities, from the 5th century to 1283
- Anglo-Saxon kingdoms , 5th century to 10th century
- Kingdom of Scotland , 843 to 1651 and 1660 to 1707
- Kingdom of England , 774 to 1536
- Lordship of Ireland 1171 to 1541
- Principality of Wales , 1267 to 1542
- Kingdom of England and Wales , 1536 to 1649 and 1660 to 1707
- Kingdom of Ireland , 1541 to 1649 and 1660 to 1800
- Commonwealth and Free State of England, Wales and Ireland , 1649 to 1654
- Commonwealth of Great Britain and Ireland , 1654 to 1660
- Kingdom of Great Britain , 1707 to 1800
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland , 1801 to 1922
- Irish Free State / Republic of Ireland , since 1922
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland , since 1922
- "British Isles", Encyclopædia Britannica
- An Irishman's Diary. Myers, Kevin; The Irish Times (subscription needed) 09/03/2000, accessed July 2006 “millions of people from these islands - oh how angry we get when people call them the British Isles”.
- The Times : “New atlas lets Ireland slip shackles of Britain”.
- Written Answers - Official Terms ( Memento of the original from October 6, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.