Thoss was born shortly before the air raids on Dresden in 1945. 1949 fled the family from the Soviet occupation zone to the Bavarian court . He passed his Abitur in 1965 in Straubing . He then did military service as a reserve officer candidate in the armed forces, from which he resigned as a reserve lieutenant .
With a Bundeswehr scholarship, he studied history and political science at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich . In 1976 he was at Thomas Nipperdey with the dissertation The Ludendorff circle from 1919 to 1923 to the Dr. phil. PhD.
From 1976 to 1979 he went back to the German Armed Forces as a re-employee and became company commander in the 242 Panzer Grenadier Battalion in Mitterharthausen . He was then transferred to the Military History Research Office (MGFA) in Freiburg im Breisgau , initially in the “Training, Information and Specialized Studies” (AIF) department. In addition, from 1980 to 1994 (with interruption) he was a member of the editorial board of the magazine Military History Mitteilungen . From 1983 he did research at the MGFA and switched to the scientific civil service career of the higher service with the rank of major . From 2001 to 2005 he headed the research area “Military History of the Federal Republic in Alliance” at the Military History Research Office (MGFA) in Potsdam. From 2005 to 2008 he was (provisional) head of the research department (“leading historian”). In 2008 he retired.
He published u. a. in the Historical Lexicon of Bavaria .
- The Ludendorff Circle 1919–1923. Munich as the center of the Central European counter-revolution between the revolution and the Hitler putsch (= new series of the Munich City Archives , Volume 98). Wölfle, Munich 1978, ISBN 3-87913-087-6 .
- with Manfred Messerschmidt , Klaus A. Maier , Werner Rahn : Military history. Problems - Theses - Ways (= contributions to military and war history , Volume 25). Commissioned by the Military History Research Office, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-421-06122-X .
- NATO strategy and national defense planning. Planning and development of the Bundeswehr under the conditions of a massive nuclear retaliation strategy 1952 to 1960 (= Security Policy and Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Germany , Volume 1). Oldenbourg, Munich 2006, ISBN 978-3-486-57904-8 .
- with Hans-Erich Volkmann : Between cold war and relaxation. Security and Germany policy of the Federal Republic in the power system of the years 1953–1956 (= military history since 1945 , volume 9). Boldt, Boppard am Rhein 1988, ISBN 3-7646-1881-7 .
- with Hans Ehlert , Christian Greiner, Georg Meyer: Beginnings of West German Security Policy 1945 to 1956 . Volume 3: The NATO Option . Oldenbourg, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-486-51691-4 .
- Create People's Army - without shouting! Studies on the beginnings of a “covert rearmament” in the Soviet Zone / GDR 1947–1952 (= contributions to military history , Volume 51). Oldenbourg, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-486-56043-3 .
- with Klaus A. Maier: Western integration, security and the German question. Sources on foreign policy in the Adenauer era 1949–1963 (= Selected Sources on German Modern History , Volume 42). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1994, ISBN 3-534-11228-8 .
- From the Cold War to German unity. Analyzes and eyewitness reports on German military history from 1945 to 1995 . Oldenbourg, Munich 1995, ISBN 3-486-56160-X .
- with Hans-Erich Volkmann: First World War - Second World War. A comparison. War, war experience, war experience in Germany . Schöningh, Paderborn u. a. 2002, ISBN 3-506-79161-3 .
- with Ralf Pröve : Bernhard R. Kroener . Martial violence and military presence in modern times. Selected writings . Schöningh, Paderborn 2008, ISBN 978-3-506-76548-2 .
- The Bundestag Defense Committee. The Committee on European Security Issues. January 1953 to July 1954 . Droste, Düsseldorf 2010, ISBN 978-3-7700-1701-0 .
- with Kurt Arlt, Michael Thomae: Military History Handbook Brandenburg-Berlin . be.bra Wissenschaft verlag, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-937233-64-2 .
- Thorsten Loch : The face of the Bundeswehr. Communication strategies in the voluntary recruitment of the Bundeswehr 1956 to 1989 . Oldenbourg, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-486-58396-0 , p. IX ff. (Dedication)
- Literature by and about Bruno Thoss in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Bruno Thoss in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Bruno Thoss" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Short biography and reviews of works by Bruno Thoss at perlentaucher.de
- Contributions by Bruno Thoss in the Bavarian Historical Lexicon
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German military historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 19, 1945|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dresden|