Hans-Erich Volkmann (born March 15, 1938 in Montabaur ) is a German historian .
After studying history, German, Philosophy and Education (1957-1963), he was in 1963 when Gotthold Rhode at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Mainz in Eastern European history with a thesis on the Russian emigration in Germany from 1919 to 1929 to the Dr. phil. PhD. In 1971 he completed his habilitation there in Newer and Modern History with the thesis supervised by Rhode The German Baltic Politics between Brest-Litovsk and Compiègne. A contribution to the "war target discussion". At the same time he received the title of professor for life. In 1973 he was appointed adjunct professor at the University of Mainz. From 1982 he taught as an adjunct professor for modern and contemporary history at the University of Freiburg i. Br. His academic students include a. Bernd Lemke and Rolf-Dieter Müller .
From 1971 to 1993 Hans-Erich Volkmann was a scientist at the Military History Research Office (MGFA) in Freiburg i. Br. Active; after moving to Potsdam, he worked there from 1993 to 2003 as director and professor and head of the research department.
His research and teaching focus is on the political and economic history of the world wars, especially the National Socialist war economy , as well as the political, military and economic history during the Adenauer era of the Federal Republic of Germany . In 1999 he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit on ribbon.
He was initially a member of the CDU , then switched to the SPD in 1971 . In terms of local politics, Volkmann was a member of the municipal authorities in Cappel (Marburg), and later a member of the municipal council in Buchenbach near Freiburg.
As an author
- Russian emigration in Germany 1919–1929. Würzburg 1966 (dissertation).
- The German Baltic policy between Brest-Litovsk and Compiègne. Böhlau, Cologne / Vienna 1970 (Habil.).
- Economy in the Third Reich, 2 vols. A bibliography. Munich 1980, Koblenz 1984.
- Causes and conditions of the Second World War (co-authors: Wilhelm Deist , Manfred Messerschmidt & Wolfram Wette ). Fischer-Taschenbuch Nr. 2480, Frankfurt / M. 1989.
- Economy and Expansion. Basic features of the Nazi economic policy. Munich 2003.
- Luxembourg under the sign of the swastika. A political economic history 1933 to 1944. Paderborn / Munich / Vienna / Zurich 2010.
- The Polish policy of the empire. Prologue to the Age of World Wars . Schöningh, Paderborn 2016, ISBN 978-3-506-78433-9 .
- The parliamentarian crisis in East Central Europe between the two world wars. Marburg 1967.
- The image of Russia in the Third Reich. Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 1994.
- End of the Third Reich - End of the Second World War. A perspective review. (Piper series vol. 2056). Munich / Zurich 1995.
- Sources on domestic politics in the Adenauer era 1949–1963. Darmstadt 2005.
- The Bundestag Defense Committee and its predecessors (protocols). Volume 1, Düsseldorf 2006.
- Military history journal .
- with Friedrich Forstmeier : Economy and armaments on the eve of the Second World War. Düsseldorf 1975.
- with Friedrich Forstmeier: War Economy and Armaments 1939–1945. Düsseldorf 1977.
- with Walter Schwengler: The European Defense Community. Boppard a. Rhine 1985.
- with Bruno Thoß : Between Cold War and Relaxation. Boppard a. Rhine 1988.
- with Rolf-Dieter Müller : The Wehrmacht. Myth and Reality. Munich 1999.
- with Bruno Thoß: First World War - Second World War. A comparison. Paderborn / Munich / Vienna / Zurich 2002.
- Literature by and about Hans-Erich Volkmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Hans-Erich Volkmann in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Hans-Erich Volkmann" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Short biography and reviews of works by Hans-Erich Volkmann at perlentaucher.de
^ HE Volkmann: Economy and Expansion: Basic Features of the Nazi Economic Policy. Oldenburg 2003, p. 443f. (About the author) . Online in the Google book search
The article is also based on additional bio-bibliographical data that Hans-Erich Volkmann provided himself upon request.
- ↑ MGFA (historical overview)
- ^ Rüdiger Proske (ed.): Against the abuse of the history of German soldiers for political purposes. A polemic . v. Hase and Koehler, Mainz 1996, ISBN 3-7758-1351-9 , p. 16.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 15, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Montabaur|