Federal Bar Association
|position||Professional body of the German legal profession|
|legal form||Public corporation|
|Supervisory authority||federal Ministry of Justice|
|Authority management||Ulrich Wessels, President|
The Federal Bar Association (BRAK) is the umbrella organization of the 27 regional bar associations ( professional body ) and the Bar Association at the Federal Court of Justice (BGH). Members are therefore only the named chambers and not the individual lawyers . The Federal Bar Association is a corporation under public law established in accordance with Of the Federal Lawyers' Act (BRAO) . It is based in Berlin . The Federal Ministry of Justice is responsible for legal supervision .
The constitutional assembly has the function of a parliament of the German legal profession and has the task of issuing and updating the professional code for lawyers as a constitution. The resolutions of the constitutional assembly are forwarded to the Federal Ministry of Justice. This examines the adopted statutes and can repeal these or parts of the statutes. If this does not happen, the adopted statute comes into force three months after it has been sent to the Federal Ministry of Justice.
Ulrich Wessels has been President of the Federal Bar Association since September 2018 .
The previous presidents were:
- 1954–1959 Gustav Fink
- 1959–1960 Florian Waldeck
- 1960–1961 Friedrich Franke
- 1961–1967 Arthur Müller
- 1967–1974 Karl Weber
- 1974–1983 Heinrich Vigano
- 1983–1991 Klaus Schmalz
- 1991–1999 Eberhard Haas
- 1999–2007 Bernhard Dombek
- 2007-2015 Axel C. Filges
- 2015–2018 Ekkehart Schäfer
The Federal Bar Association has been awarding the cartoon prize to the German legal profession since 1998 . The caricaturist duo Greser & Lenz was awarded the 10th Caricature Prize by the German Bar in November 2016 .
Since 2011, the Chamber has maintained the legal dispute resolution body for disputes between lawyers and their clients. Renate Jaeger initially headed this position. She was previously a judge at the European Court of Human Rights. Since September 2015, the former President of the Berlin Court of Appeal, Monika Nöhre , has taken on the office of arbitrator. The managing director of the arbitration board is attorney Sylvia Ruge.
The BRAK-Mitteilungen (abbreviation: BRAK-Mitt.) Are the official publication organ of the Federal Bar Association. The bimonthly legal journal provides information on current issues relevant to lawyers. Special emphasis is placed on the work of the Federal Bar Association , attorney law , attorney liability, attorney compensation , attorney market and the professional law of attorneys. Under www.brak-mitteilungen.de some online research is possible in the editions from the year 1996th
BRAK-Magazin is the regular supplement to the BRAK-Mitteilungen , which presents practical legal issues and new developments in an entertaining way and reports on the work of the BRAK.
- Gerhard Baatz, 125 years of history of German bar associations, BRAK-Mitteilungen 2008, pp. 190–195
- Rudolf Lauda, 130 years of duties of the bar associations, BRAK-Mitteilungen 2008, pp. 195–201
- Federal : Large membership statistics as of January 1, 2016. (PDF) Retrieved April 7, 2017 .
- Ulrich Wessels becomes new President, Legal Tribune Online, May 28, 2018 .
- The BRAK at the cartoon price .
- Federal : press release v. November 4, 2016. Retrieved April 7, 2017 .
- personnel in the arbitration board , press release of the Federal Bar Association of January 16, 2015, accessed on March 17, 2015.