After graduating from the Film Academy in Vienna , the three auteur filmmakers Barbara Albert , Jessica Hausner and Antonin Svoboda as well as the cameraman Martin Gschlacht founded coop99 in 1999. The four founders hold equal shares in this GesmbH . coop99 is a member of the Association of Austrian Filmproducers (AAFP). In January 2001, Bruno Wagner , who is exclusively responsible for production, joined as the fifth member.
The founding of the company coincides roughly with Barbara Albert's international festival success Nordrand , which she directed for Lotus Film . A little later, the first coop99 productions received national awards and, after numerous nominations, soon also received awards at international festivals. A first major success came in 2004 with Hubert Sauper's documentary Darwin's Nightmare . Thanks to numerous awards, including the European Film Prize for the best documentary of the year and an award in Venice , the international co-production under the leadership of coop99 was able to register over half a million cinema visits internationally. In 2006 the documentary received an Oscar nomination.
The second successful production came about with The fat years are over in the same year. The co-production with director Hans Weingartner's Y3 film attracted around 1.3 million visitors across Europe and was nominated for a Golden Palm, among other things. Another prestigious award for a coop99 production came in 2006 for Jasmila Zbanic 's drama Grbavica , which was awarded a Golden Bear . Also in 2006, also has Hotel as "Best Film 2006" with the big diagonal award honored and as a co-producer of the German juicy movie produced feature film sleeper of Benjamin Heisenberg was awarded the Max Ophüls Prize awarded. In 2009, as a co-production partner of the German Essential Film , the company produced the film Zanan bedun-e mardan by the Iranian-born director Shirin Neshat , with Martin Gschlacht as camera operator . The film received the Silver Lion for best director at the Venice International Film Festival 2009 . At the same festival, the documentary Lourdes by Jessica Hausner, also an international co-production with the participation of Essential Film , received the FIPRESCI Prize .
Feature films, unless otherwise stated:
- 2001: Lovely Rita (Austria / Germany; Director: Jessica Hausner)
- 2003: Kaltfront (Director: Valentin Hitz )
- 2003: Evil cells (Austria / Germany / Switzerland; director: Barbara Albert)
- 2004: Friendly Alien (Directors: Documentary, Antonin Svoboda, Jessica Hausner)
- 2004: Visions of Europe (Austria / DK; episode film; directors: Barbara Albert, Aki Kaurismäki , Peter Greenaway , Theo van Gogh , Miguel Hermoso and others)
- 2004: Hotel (Austria / Germany; Director: Jessica Hausner)
- 2004: The fat years are over (Austria / Germany; Director: Hans Weingartner)
- 2004: Darwin's Nightmare (A / F / B; Director: Documentary, Hubert Sauper)
- 2004: Sleeper (D / Ö; Director: Benjamin Heisenberg)
- 2005: Spiele Leben (Austria / CH; Director: Antonin Svoboda)
- 2005: Grbavica (Ö / BIH / D / CRO; director: Jasmila Zbanic)
- 2005: Fallen (Director: Barbara Albert)
- 2006: I'm about winning (film portrait; director: Andrea Eckert )
- 2006: Slumming (together with Lotus Film / CH 2006, director: Michael Glawogger )
- 2007: Never by the Sea (Director: Antonin Svoboda)
- 2007: Free Rainer (Director: Hans Weingartner)
- 2008: March (director: Händl Klaus )
- 2009: Lourdes (Director: Jessica Hausner)
- 2009: Women Without Men (as co-production partner; director: Shirin Neshat)
- 2009: Pepperminta (Director: Pipilotti Rist )
- 2009: Na putu (Eng. Between us paradise ) (Director: Jasmila Zbanic)
- 2010: #unibrennt - Education Protest 2.0 (AG Doku & coop99)
- 2011: The Wall (Director: Julian Roman Pölsler )
- 2015: Three eggs in a glass (Director: Antonin Svoboda)
- 2016: Toni Erdmann (D / Ö; Director: Maren Ade )
- 2016: Kater (Director: Klaus Händl)
- 2017: Animals (CH / Austria / PL; Director: Greg Zglinski )
- 2017: Tehran Tabu (D / Ö; Director: Ali Soozandeh)
- 2017: Western (D / BG / Ö; Director: Valeska Grisebach )
- 2017: In Search of Oum Kulthum (Looking for Oum Kulthum) (D / Ö / IT / MA, director: Shirin Neshat)
- 2017: Cry Baby, Cry - Not from Bad Parents (Documentary, Director: Antonin Svoboda)
- 2018: Dolmetscher (The Interpreter) (Director: Martin Šulík )
- 2019: Little Joe - Happiness is a Business (D / Austria / UK; Director: Jessica Hausner)
- Diagonale 2005: Prize for innovative production output for annual production
- Profile. In: coop99.at. Retrieved January 19, 2018 .
- Karin Schiefer: The coop99 film production team in conversation about LOVELY RITA. In: austrianfilms.com. 2001, accessed May 19, 2019 .
- Lumiere - Database of movie attendance figures in Europe