After studying law , he first worked as a legal advisor in business and later at the Charles University in Prague . From 1992 to 1996 he was first deputy minister of justice, later deputy minister for foreign affairs for matters relating to the Czech Republic's accession to the EU. In 1998 he held the post of Minister of the Interior in the interim government of Josef Tošovský . In 1998 he was elected to the Czech Chamber of Deputies for the first time, where he chaired the Petitions Committee until 2002. From 2001 to 2003 he was chairman of the KDU-ČSL, but lost to the right wing candidate Miroslav Kalousek in the new election . From 2002 to 2006, during the coalition with the ČSSD , he was Foreign Minister. In the coalition government of Mirek Topolánek ( ODS ) he held the post of minister without portfolio and briefly the post of minister for rural development. On May 30, 2009 Svoboda prevailed at the party congress in Vsetín in the second ballot against his opponent Jan Březina as the successor to Jiří Čunek . After several members of the parliamentary group left, including the former party chairman Miroslav Kalousek and the previous group chairman Severa, Svoboda was also elected group chairman of the KDU-ČSL in the Chamber of Deputies on June 9, 2009. After the KDU-ČSL suffered a historic defeat in the parliamentary elections in 2010 and failed at the 5% hurdle, Svoboda resigned from the party chairmanship on the evening of the election.
In 2011 Svoboda founded the Prague Diplomatic Academy .
Svoboda is married and has four children.
- 2006: Large gold medal on ribbon for services to the Republic of Austria
- 2008: Great Cross of Merit with Star and Shoulder Ribbon ( Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany )
- 2012: Officer of the French Legion of Honor
- Literature and other media by and about Cyril Svoboda in the catalog of the National Library of the Czech Republic
- Literature by and about Cyril Svoboda in the catalog of the German National Library
- Web presence ( Memento of the original from January 15, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. of the Academy (English).
- List of all decorations awarded by the Federal President for services to the Republic of Austria from 1952 (PDF file; 6.6 MB)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Czech politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 24, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Prague|