Else Marie Friis
Live and act
Friis, whose father had a bookstore in Skive, studied geology and botany at the University of Aarhus with a master's degree in 1975 and received his doctorate in 1980 ( Microcarpological studies of Middle Miocene floras of Western Denmark ). As a post-doctoral student, she was at Bedford College of the University of London (with William Gilbert Chaloner ) and David Dilcher in Bloomington (Indiana) . In the early 1980s she discovered some well-preserved fossil flowers from the Upper Cretaceous in Åsen in Skåne with the pollen specialist Annie Skårby, which they published in Nature in 1981 . In 1987 she became a professor of palaeobotany at the Natural History Museum in Stockholm. In 1995 she was visiting professor at the University of Zurich .
She is particularly concerned with paleobotany of flowering plants, about which she also edited a book with William Gilbert Chaloner and Peter Crane ( The origin of angiosperms and their biological consequences , Cambridge University Press 1987). She is particularly concerned with their reproductive biology and paleoecology in the Cretaceous Period. In addition to Crane, she also works a lot with Kaj Raunsgaard Pedersen.
She is a member of the Danish , Swedish , Norwegian and Chinese Academy of Sciences , since 2017 also the American Academy of Arts and Sciences , since 2020 external member of the Royal Society . In 1999 she received an honorary doctorate in Uppsala . In 1992 she received the Niels-Roséns-Linné Prize in botany. In 2009 she became a corresponding member of the Paleontological Society .
She is the editor of Grana magazine . A Japanese colleague named a fossil plant genus after her ( Elsemaria ).
- with Peter Crane, Kay Raunsgaard Pedersen: Early flowers and angiosperm evolution , Cambridge University Press 2011
- Editor with Peter Crane, William G. Chaloner: The Origins of angiosperms and their biological consequences , Cambridge University Press 1987 (therein by Friis with W. Crepet Time of appearance of floral features )
- with PK Endress: Origin and evolution of angiosperm flowers , Advances in Botanical Research, Volume 17, 1990, pp. 99-162
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Else Marie Friis at the IPNI
- Homepage at the Natural History Museum
- Biography given on the occasion of a lecture at the Darwin-China-200 conference in Beijing 2009
- Entry in Dansk Kvindebiografisk Leksikon
- Friis, Skarby: Structurally preserved angiosperm flowers from the upper cretaceous southern Sweden , Nature, Vol 291, 1981, pp 483-486
- Harufumi Nishida: Elsemaria, a Late Cretaceous angiosperm fructification from Hokkaido, Japan . In: PK Endress and EM Friis (eds.): Early Evolution of Flowers . Vienna 1994, p. 123-135 , doi : 10.1007 / 978-3-7091-6910-0_7 .
|SURNAME||Friis, Else Marie|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Danish paleobotanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 18, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Holstebro|