Emil Vetter (born December 2, 1878 in Voitsdorf , Northern Bohemia , † March 15, 1963 in Vienna ) was an Austrian linguist .
life and work
Emil Vetter attended the Staatsgymnasium zu Böhmisch Leipa and after graduating in 1897 studied classical philology , epigraphy and comparative linguistics at the University of Vienna , where he was particularly influenced by the epigraphist Eugen Bormann and the linguist Paul Kretschmer . Vetter completed his studies with the state examination, but not with a doctorate .
After completing his studies, Vetter taught at various Austrian (mainly Viennese) high schools from 1902 to 1936. In the First World War he served from 1915 to 1918. From 1923 he was director of the Piarist high school in Vienna. On the occasion of his retirement in 1936 he was appointed councilor.
In addition to his school service, Vetter continued his scientific studies. A travel grant enabled him to go on an educational and research trip to Italy, Greece and Asia Minor in 1907/08. From November 18, 1910 to August 31, 1912 he worked on the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae in Munich. His research focus was the Italian dialects and languages. He wrote essays and lexicon articles for the Realencyclopadie of classical antiquity , among other things on the Ligurians , the Messapic language and the Osker . Vetter made a special contribution to the decoding of the Etruscan language . In old age he received high honors for his work: in 1952 the Austrian Academy of Sciences elected him a corresponding member, in 1955 he received an honorary philological doctorate from the University of Vienna. Vetter was buried at the Gersthof cemetery .
- Small contributions to Latin word research . Vienna 1903. In: Twenty-ninth annual report of the KK Staatsgymnasium in the XVII. Districts of Vienna (Hernals) . Year 1903, pp. 3–13 digitized
- Etruscan word interpretations. Book 1: The Agramer Mummy Band . Vienna 1937
- Handbook of Italian Dialects. Volume 1: Texts with explanation, glosses, dictionary . Heidelberg 1953
- For the reading of the Agramer mummy bandages . In: Anzeiger der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Philosophisch-Historische Klasse . Born 1955, pp. 253–269
- The pre-Roman rock inscriptions from Steinberg in North Tyrol . In: Anzeiger der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Philosophisch-Historische Klasse . Born 1957, pp. 385–398
- To the Lydian inscriptions . Vienna 1959 ( meeting reports of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Philosophical-Historical Class 232, 3)
- Erwin Korkisch: Latin reader for the middle classes of grammar schools and related educational institutions . Second edition, Vienna 1924
- Plautus : Aulularia. Edited and provided with explanatory notes by Karl Kunst . Second edition, reviewed by the author, edited by Emil Vetter. Vienna 1927
- Heinz Kronasser: Emil Vetter . In: Almanac of the Austrian Academy of Sciences . Volume 113, 1963 (1964), pp. 476-485 (with picture and list of publications)
- Dietfried Krömer (Ed.): Thesaurus stories. Contributions to a Historia Thesauri Linguae Latinae by Theodor Bögel (1876–1973) . Stuttgart / Leipzig 1996
- Literature by and about Emil Vetter in the catalog of the German National Library
- Wilt Aden Schröder : Biogram of Emil Vetter in the scholarly historical prosopography of the Teuchos Center
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 2, 1878|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Voitsdorf , Northern Bohemia|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 15, 1963|
|Place of death||Vienna|