Archdiocese of Bujumbura
|Archdiocese of Bujumbura|
|Diocesan bishop||Gervais Banshimiyubusa|
|Emeritus diocesan bishop||Evariste Ngoyagoye|
|Parishes||33 (2018 / AP2019 )|
|Residents||1,894,191 (2018 / AP2019 )|
|Catholics||1.330.325 (2018 / AP2019 )|
|Diocesan priest||126 (2018 / AP2019 )|
|Religious priest||56 (2018 / AP2019 )|
|Catholics per priest||7,309|
|Friars||260 (2018 / AP2019 )|
|Religious sisters||355 (2018 / AP2019 )|
|cathedral||Cathédrale Regina Mundi|
Diocese of Bubanza
Diocese of Bururi
The Archdiocese of Bujumbura was on June 11, 1959 by Pope John XXIII. established with the Apostolic Constitution Cum sacrum from assignments of territory by the Apostolic Vicariates Kitega and Ngozi as the Apostolic Vicariate of Usumbura .
The Apostolic Vicariate Usumbura was on November 10, 1959 by John XXIII. raised to a diocese with the Apostolic Constitution Cum parvulum and subordinated to the Archdiocese of Gitega as a suffragan . On October 9, 1964, the Diocese of Usumbura was renamed the Diocese of Bujumbura . The Diocese of Bujumbura gave up on June 7, 1980 parts of its territory to establish the Diocese of Bubanza . On November 25, 2006, the Diocese of Bujumbura by Pope Benedict XVI. with the apostolic constitution Cum ad aptius raised to the archbishopric.
Vicars Apostolic of Usumbura
- Michel Ntuyahaga , 1959
Bishops of Usumbura
- Michel Ntuyahaga, 1959-1964
Bishops of Bujumbura
- Michel Ntuyahaga, 1964–1988
- Simon Ntamwana , 1988–1997, then Archbishop of Gitega
- Evariste Ngoyagoye , 1997-2006
Archbishops of Bujumbura
- Evariste Ngoyagoye, 2006-2018
- Gervais Banshimiyubusa , since 2018
- Ioannes XXIII: Const. Apost. Cum sacrum , AAS 51 (1959), n. 17, pp. 886ff.
- Ioannes XXIII: Const. Apost. Cum parvulum , AAS 52 (1960), n.6, p. 372ff.
- Benedictus XVI: Const. Apost. Cum ad aptius , AAS 98 (2006), n.12, p. 881f.