Fergus McDonell (born October 6, 1910 in Tunbridge Wells , Kent , England ; † January 3, 1984 in Norwich , England) was a British film editor and film director who was once nominated for an Oscar for best editing.
McDonell, who graduated from Sedbergh School in Cumbria , began his career in film editing in 1939 in the crime film I Met a Murderer, directed by Roy Kellino with James Mason , Sylvia Coleridge and William Devlin . Until 1976 he worked as editor in the production of nearly sixty films, including numerous documentaries .
At the Oscar ceremony in 1948 McDonell was nominated for the Oscar for Best Editing nomination, specifically for the movie Expelled (Odd Man Out, 1947) by Carol Reed with James Mason, Robert Newton and Cyril Cusack .
In addition to his work as an editor, McDonell also worked as a director between 1949 and 1960. After his directorial debut with The voice of conscience (The Small Voice), a thriller with Valerie Hobson , James Donald and Howard Keel , he staged another twenty mostly short films .
As a film editor
- 1944: Husband for inspection (On Approval)
- 1944: The Way Ahead
- 1947: Launched (Odd Man Out)
- 1963: The Caretaker
- 1964: One goes over corpses again (Nothing but the Best)
- 1964: Grasp from the Dark (Night Must Fall)
- 1965: Death in the Morning (Four in the Morning)
- 1965: what's new, pussy? (What's New Pussycat?)
- 1966: Khartoum (Khartoum)
- 1967: A Successful Dud (Charlie Bubbles)
- 1968: ... under the Holderbusch (Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush)
- 1968: Only When I Larf
- 1969: Alfred the Great - Vanquisher of the Vikings (Alfred the Great)
- 1970: Herring and Port Wine (Spring and Port Wine)
- 1971: On quiet feet (Gumshoe)
- 1971: The Brood of Satan (Unman, Wittering and Zigo)
As a film director
- 1949: The Small Voice
- 1950: The Miracle of San Marino (Prelude to Fame)
- 1959–1960: RCMP (TV series)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British film editor and director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 6, 1910|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tunbridge Wells , Kent , England|
|DATE OF DEATH||3rd January 1984|
|Place of death||Norwich , England|