life and work
Fernando Botero is one of the most famous visual artists in Latin America . He was born in 1932 as the son of a modest family in the Andes . Fernando Botero started painting at the age of 12 while still in high school. He quickly made a living as a designer and illustrator . At the age of 16 he first took part in an exhibition of painters in Medellín in 1948. In 1951 he moved to Bogotá because life there was more culturally rich, and shortly afterwards to Europe.
At the end of the 1950s he found his own style that is now world famous. His theme is the human being, human life with all its facets . The representation of the figure experiences a special expression in his work, because he shows the human body as well as all other forms in exaggerated proportions. Botero's art has a very special characteristic. All of his figures are fat - very fat. In its aesthetics , fat people are beautiful. Thus his pictures depict fat people: kings, soldiers, but also dancers and toreros , who one would rather associate with thin figures. In 1977, for example, he created a variation of Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa with a round face. In this way, it increases the sensual presence, a stylistic device that from now on becomes its defining design feature. Like no other artist, Botero has dealt intensively with art history and tradition - from Piero della Francesca to Rubens to Picasso . Like these painters before him, he explores space and the presence of form. Botero's paintings live from the tension that builds up through the contrast between the opulence of the human figure and the simultaneous reduction of details. After his first sculptural work in the early 1960s, Botero devoted himself more and more to sculpture from 1976 onwards . Here, too, the topics that are important to him can be found: the sensual forms, the handling of volume and the technical perfection.
Like Astor Piazzolla in music or Gabriel García Márquez in literature , he represents the image of Latin American cultures like hardly anyone else . Botero describes himself as the most Colombian of all Colombian painters . He understands his grotesquely naive figures with inflated bodies as symbols of a degenerate colonial bourgeoisie .
In 1998 a large number of sculptures were exhibited throughout the city in Bamberg as part of the sculpture path. Following the presentation, the city acquired the reclining woman with fruit with the help of numerous donors . In 2006 he caused a sensation with his paintings on the torture scandal in Abu Ghraib prison .
At the end of the 26th Munich Film Festival , the documentary “Botero - Born in Medellin” was premiered on June 28, 2008 in the presence of the artist and the German director Peter Schamoni . The film tells the life story and professional career of Botero.
- 1958: First National Prize for Painting in the Salón Nacional de Artistas de Colombia for La Camara Degli Sposi
- David Ebony: Fernando Botero: Abu Ghraib . Prestel, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-7913-3741-6 .
- Werner Spies : Fernando Botero . Prestel, Munich 1997, ISBN 3-7913-1810-1 .
- C. Sylvia Weber (Ed.): Fernando Botero . Translated from the Spanish by Elke Wehr , Swiridoff, Künzelsau 2005, ISBN 3-89929-054-2 (catalog for the exhibition from November 11, 2005 to April 17, 2006 in the Kunsthalle Würth , Schwäbisch Hall).
- Evelyn Benesch, Ingried Brugger (ed.): Fernando Botero, interview with and short stories by Fernando Botero, texts by Conny Habbel, Mariana Hanstein, Mario Vargas Llosa u. a., Hatje Cantz Verlag, Berlin, 2011, ISBN 978-3-7757-3220-8 (catalog for the exhibition from October 12, 2011 to January 15, 2012 in the Bank Austria Kunstforum , Vienna).
- Mariana Hanstein : Botero . TASCHEN, Cologne 2017, ISBN 978-3-8365-4880-9 .
- 2007: Bravo Botero! - Director: Peter Schamoni (documentary film)
- 2008: Botero - Born in Medellín - Director: Peter Schamoni (documentary)
- Literature by and about Fernando Botero in the catalog of the German National Library
- Artist portrait video by CastYourArt , Vienna, CastYourArt, 2011
- Lying woman with fruit. bamberg.info, accessed September 8, 2012
- Torture in Oil. on: Spiegel online. with picture examples, accessed on January 17, 2011
- website: Botero in Berlin , accessed on January 17, 2011
- website: Botero - Born in Medellin ( Memento of the original from May 4, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed January 17, 2011
- Botero ( Memento of the original from March 20, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Exhibitions at the Kunstforum Wien, accessed on March 20, 2017.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Colombian painter and sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 19, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Medellin , Colombia|