Georg May (theologian)
Georg May (born September 14, 1926 in Liegnitz , Lower Silesia Province ) is a German Catholic theologian , apostolic protonotary and was professor for canon law , state church law and ecclesiastical legal history at the University of Mainz .
After the war, Georg May studied philosophy and theology and received on April 1, 1951 by Bishop Heinrich Wienken of Meissen the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Wroclaw . May has lived in Budenheim near Mainz (Mainz-Bingen district) since teaching at Mainz University . In 2011 he was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI. appointed Apostolic Protonotary (group of Protonotarii Apostolici supra numerum ).
In Munich he was summa cum laude for a doctor of theology doctorate . His teacher was the canonist Klaus Mörsdorf . After his habilitation on June 10, 1957, he taught canon law first in Freising , and from 1960 at the University of Mainz. From 1960 to 1994 he held the chair for canon law, state church law and church legal history.
Georg May was intensively active as a journalist and published many canonical, but also church history and liturgical works. Regular articles appeared in the journal Der Fels, published by the Pallottine Father Gerhard Hermes from 1970 . He continues to publish even in retirement.
Of his non-canonical works, his book on the Catholic Church in the Third Reich has achieved special significance.
- The canonical formal requirement when entering into mixed marriages. Schöningh, Paderborn 1965.
- The position of German Protestantism on divorce, remarriage and church wedding of divorced people. Schöningh, Paderborn 1965.
- Franz Gescher after his letters to Ulrich Stutz . In: Journal of Legal History. Volume 99, Canonical Department 68, 1982, pp. 419-440.
- Church struggle or persecution of Catholics? A contribution to the mutual relationship between National Socialism and Christian creeds. Christiana, Stein am Rhein 1991, ISBN 3-7171-0942-1 .
- The priesthood in the post-conciliar church. Una Voce , Düsseldorf 1993, ISBN 978-3-926377-12-8 .
- Ego nn catholicae ecclesiae episcopus: Origin, development and meaning of a signature formula with regard to the universal episcopate of the Pope. Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1995, ISBN 3-428-08452-7 .
- Canon law sources. In: Theologische Realenzyklopädie (TRE). Volume 19, pp. 1-44.
- Power from God's Word. Christiana, Stein am Rhein 1995, ISBN 978-3-7171-0987-7 .
- Confessions of guilt and requests for forgiveness. Association St. Pius X., Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-932691-24-5 .
- Real and spurious reform. Sarto , Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-932691-27-X .
- The ecumenism trap. Sarto, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-932691-39-3 .
- The organization of jurisdiction and administration in the Archdiocese of Mainz from the high Middle Ages to the end of the imperial church. Self-published by the Society for Middle Rhine Church History, Mainz 2004, ISBN 3-929135-44-2 (Vol. 2).
- The dispute between the Archbishops of Mainz and the Holy See over the right to dispense in the 18th century. Lang, Frankfurt am Main 2007, ISBN 978-3-631-55797-6 .
- Three priestly educators from Silesia. Paul Ramatschi, Erich Puzik, Erich Kleineidam . Verlag Franz Schmitt, Siegburg 2007, ISBN 978-3-87710-287-9 .
- The work of reconciliation of the papal legate Giovanni B. Caprara. The reconciliation of the clergy and religious members 1801-1808 (= canonical studies and texts. Volume 59). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-428-13848-7 .
- 300 years of believing and unbelieving theology: demolition and construction. Sarto Verlag, Bobingen 2017, ISBN 978-3-943858-85-3 .
- Winfried Aymans (Ed.): Fides et ius. Festschrift for Georg May on his 65th birthday. Pustet, Regensburg 1991, ISBN 3-7917-1290-X .
- Anna Egler, Wilhelm Rees (ed.): Service to faith and law . Festschrift for Georg May on his 80th birthday. Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2006, ISBN 978-3428123292 .
- Literature by and about Georg May in the catalog of the German National Library
- Bibliography for non-canonical publications
- Sermons by Georg May
- Personal questionnaire
- "Service to Faith and Law" - On the 90th birthday of Prelate Prof. Dr. Georg May
- Benedict XVI. appoints Prof. Georg May as apostolic protonotary - great honor for longstanding defender of the Catholic tradition. Kathnews, December 24, 2011
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Roman Catholic theologian and professor of canon law|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 14, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Liegnitz , Lower Silesia Province|