Gottfried Eduard Arnold
Gottfried Eduard Arnold , English Godfrey Edward Arnold (born January 6, 1914 in Olomouc ; † July 5, 1989 in Vienna ) was an Austro-American physician. In his specialty, phoniatrics , he researched speech defects and diseases of the vocal folds .
Arnold was the son of the court opera singer Anton Arnold and attended the Theresianum in Vienna . He graduated from the University of Vienna (as a doctor) and (as a pianist) from the State Academy for Music and Performing Arts . Through several study visits with Hermann Gutzmann jun. (1892–1972) in Berlin he deepened his phoniatric knowledge. Further teachers were Max Nadoleczny (1874-1940) and Hugo Stern (1877-1941). As the successor to his teacher Emil Fröschels , Arnold headed the voice and language clinic of the Vienna Ear Clinic at the Vienna General Hospital until 1945 (the clinic was incorporated into the I. ENT Clinic in 1938 together with the Clinic for Laryngology, from 1970 into the II ENT Clinic. Clinic). Like Fröschels and Gutzmann in the First World War, Arnold treated mainly wounded soldiers with speech and voice disorders during the war. Arnold wrote the work The Traumatic and Constitutional Disturbances of Voice and Language about his experiences . Together with the Swiss phoniatrist Richard Luchsinger (1900–1993) he wrote the textbook on voice and speech medicine (first edition 1949). His successor at the Vienna Ear Clinic was the phoniatrist and singer Vincenz Imre .
In 1949 he emigrated to the USA and lived in New York until 1963 , where he worked at the National Hospital for Speech Disorders and then as head of research in the ear, nose and throat department of the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary was. In 1962 he developed the method of injecting Teflon into the vocal folds and coined the term “ phonosurgery ” the following year with Hans von Leden . From 1963 to 1983 he worked in Jackson, Mississippi , where he founded the ENT department of the University of Mississippi Clinic and was its director from 1963 to 1979. He is the author of the relevant articles on language and language disorders in the Encyclopædia Britannica . His research also extended to cancer.
Arnold had been married since 1941 and had one daughter. He is buried in the Vienna Central Cemetery .
In 1982 Arnold received the highest award from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). In 1988 he was awarded the Gold Medal of Honor of the Federal Capital Vienna .
- Gottfried Eduard Arnold: The traumatic and constitutional disorders of the voice and language. Vienna 1948.
- Richard Luchsinger, Gottfried Eduard Arnold: Handbook of voice and speech medicine. Vol. 1: The voice and its disturbances . ISBN 3-211-80983-X . Handbook of Voice and Speech Medicine. Vol. 2: The language and its disorders . ISBN 3-211-80984-8 . - 1st edition 1948, 2nd edition 1959, 3rd edition 1970, Zurich and Vienna.
- University Clinic for Hearing, Voice and Language Disorders, Innsbruck: History of Phoniatrics in Austria ( Memento from December 17, 2005 in the Internet Archive )
- Heinz Zehmisch: The Gutzmanns. After a lecture on the occasion of a celebratory event of the Berlin Charité (PDF; 2.8 MB) (English) ( Memento of the original from December 24, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 318 kB)
- Arnold, GE: The investigation of central hearing disorders with new hearing test methods. - European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology 157.5 (1951), 521-542
- Arnold, G. E: Electronystagmography. Problems of Recording, Evaluation and Interpretation . In: Confinia Neurologica 20 : 226-232 (1960)
- Arnold, GE: Vocal rehabilitation of paralytic dysphonia. Technique of intracordal injection. - Arch. Otolaryngol. 1962, 76: 358-368
- Leden, Hans von: The History of Phonosurgery. In: Ford, CN and Bless, DM (eds.): Phonosurgery. - Philadelphia, PA: Raven Press 1991
- History of the Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences
- Britannica author
- Speech (Language) and Speech Disorder in Encyclopædia Britannica
- Bomer, Donald L., and Arnold, Godfrey E .: Rare tumors of the ear, nose and throat: uncommon malignant tumors of the head and neck. In: Acta oto-laryngologica 1971
- ASHA Honors of the Association Recipients
- Letter from the Mayor of Vienna
|SURNAME||Arnold, Gottfried Eduard|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Arnold, Godfrey Edward|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austro-American medic|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 6, 1914|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Olomouc|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th July 1989|
|Place of death||Vienna|