Gunther Neuhaus (born September 19, 1953 in Linz ) is an Austrian biologist, he is Professor of Cell Biology and Vice Rector for Research at the University of Freiburg im Breisgau .
Live and act
After graduating from high school in 1974, Neuhaus studied biology and philosophy at the University of Salzburg , where he was awarded a Dr. phil. received his doctorate. From 1980 to 1987 he carried out research at the Max Planck Institute in Ladenburg near Heidelberg, with an academic guest position in 1982 at Rockefeller University , New York City . From 1988 he was a scientist at the ETH Zurich , where he completed his habilitation in 1993 with a thesis on developmental biology of plants.
In 1995 he was offered the chair for cell biology at the Biological Institute II at the University of Freiburg. Neuhaus' main areas of work are cell biology and the development of symmetry during plant embryogenesis . He also conducts research in the field of signal networks in plants with a focus on abiotic stress and light.
In 1999 he founded greenovation Biotech GmbH together with Ralf Reski, which produces pharmaceutically highly effective glycoproteins in closed photobioreactors. greenovation has developed a moss bioreactor for the biotechnological production of active pharmaceutical ingredients, which is a safe and cost-effective alternative to other production systems.
Neuhaus is the managing director of the Center for Applied Biosciences at the University of Freiburg. From the 36th edition in 2008 Neuhaus is one of the editors of the well-known textbook on botany founded by Eduard Strasburger and since 2000 Neuhaus has been a member of the Leopoldina .
- A. Pfeiffer, T. Kunkel, A. Hiltbrunner, G. Neuhaus, I. Wolf, V. Speth, E. Adam, F. Nagy, E. Schäfer: A cell-free system for light-dependent nuclear import of phytochrome. In: Plant J. Volume 57, No. 4, 2009, pp. 680-689.
- F. Barrionuevo, A. Naumann, S. Bagheri-Fam, V. Speth, MM Taketo, G. Scherer, A. Neubser: Sox9 is required for invagination of the otic placode in mice. In: Dev. Biol. Volume 317, No. 1, 2008, pp. 213-224.
- M. Rodríguez-Franco, F. Sarmiento, K. Marquardt, R. Markus, G. Neuhaus: Does light taste salty? In: Plant Sig. Behavior. Volume 3, No. 1, Addenda 2008.
- M. Indorf, J. Cordero, G. Neuhaus, M. Rodríguez-Franco: Salt tolerance (STO), a stress-related protein, has a major role in light signaling. In: Plant J. Volume 51, No. 4, 2007, pp. 563-574.
- A. Weise, F. Altmann, M. Rodríguez-Franco, ER Sjoberg, W. Bäumer, H. Launhardt, M. Kietzmann, G. Gorr: High-level expression of secreted complex glycosylated recombinant human erythropoietin in the Physcomitrella Delta-fuc -t Delta-xyl-t mutant. In: Plant Biotechnol. J. Volume 5, No. 3, 2007, pp. 389-401.
- A. Weise, M. Rodríguez-Franco, B. Timm, M. Hermann, S. Link, W. Jost et al: Use of physcomitrella patens actin 5 ′ regions for high transgene expression: Importance of 5 ′ introns. In: Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. Volume 70, No. 3, 2006, pp. 337-345.
- J. Medina, M. Rodríguez-Franco, A. Penalosa, MJ Carrascosa, G. Neuhaus, J. Salinas: Arabidopsis mutants deregulated in RCI2A expression reveal new signaling pathways in abiotic stress responses. In: Plant Journal. Volume 42, No. 4, 2005, pp. 586-597.
- C. Balagueì, B. Lin, C. Alcon, G. Flottes, S. Malmström, C. Köhler et al: HLM1, an essential signaling component in the hypersensitive response, is a member of the cyclic nucleotide-gated channel ion channel family. In: Plant Cell. Volume 15, No. 2, 2003, pp. 365-379.
- N. Rober-Kleber, JTP Albrechtovaì, S. Fleig, N. Huck, W. Michalke, E. Wagner et al .: Plasma membrane H + -ATPase is involved in auxin-mediated cell elongation during wheat embryo development. In: Plant Physiology. Volume 131, No. 3, 2003, pp. 1302-1312.
- C. Coenen, N. Bierfreund, H. Lüthen, G. Neuhaus: Developmental regulation of H + -ATPase-dependent auxin responses in the diageotropica mutant of tomato (lycopersicon esculentum). In: Physiologia Plantarum. Volume 114, No. 3, 2002, pp. 461-471.
- S. Kircher, P. Gil, L. Kozma-Bognr, E. Fejes, V. Speth, T. Husselstein-Muller, D. Bauer, E. Adam, E. Schäfer, F. Nagy: Nucleocytoplasmic partitioning of the plant photoreceptors phytochrome A, B, C, D, and E is regulated differentially by light and exhibits a diurnal rhythm. In: Plant Cell. Volume 14, No. 7, 2002, pp. 1541-1555.
- L. Morstadt, P. Gräber, L. De Pascalis, H. Kleinig, V. Speth, P. Beyer: Chemiosmotic ATP synthesis in photosynthetically inactive chromoplasts from Narcissus pseudonarcissus L. linked to a redox pathway potentially also involved in carotene desaturation. In: Planta. Volume 215, No. 1, 2002, pp. 134-140.
- C. Fischer-Iglesias, B. Sundberg, G. Neuhaus, A. Munte Jones: Auxin distribution and transport during embryonic pattern formation in wheat. In: Plant Journal. Volume 26, No. 2, 2001, pp. 115-129.
- C. Köhler, T. Merkle, D. Roby, G. Neuhaus: Developmentally regulated expression of a cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channel from arabidopsis indicates its involvement in programmed cell death. In: Planta. Volume 213, No. 3, 2001, pp. 327-332.
- M. Schledz, A. Seidler, P. Beyer, G. Neuhaus: A novel phytyltransferase from synechocystis sp. PCC 6803 involved in tocopherol biosynthesis. In: FEBS Letters. Volume 499, No. 1-2, 2001, pp. 15-20.
- H. Gierens, M. Nauck, M. Roth, R. Schinker, C. Schurmann, H. Scharnagl et al: Interleukin-6 stimulates LDL receptor gene expression via activation of sterol-responsive and Sp1 binding elements. In: Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. Volume 20, No. 7, 2000, pp. 1777-1783.
- C. Köhler, G. Neuhaus: Characterization of calmodulin binding to cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels from arabidopsis thaliana. In: FEBS Letters. Volume 471, No. 2-3, 2000, pp. 133-136.
- P. Obrdlik, G. Neuhaus, T. Merkle: Plant heterotrimeric G protein β subunit is associated with membranes via protein interactions involving coiled-coil formation. In: FEBS Letters. Volume 476, No. 3, 2000, pp. 208-212.
- 1998–2011 Director at the Center for Applied Biosciences at the University of Freiburg
- 2002 member of the Biovalley Expert Team
- 2002–2004 member of the “Task force group in Life Science” at the University of Freiburg
- 2003 Advisor “Biotechnology Team Baden-Württemberg”
- 2003 European Coordinator of the World Challenge Program “Harvest Plus” (www.harvestplus.org)
- 2006–2012 member of the writing team for the Strasburger
- 2008–2010 Vice Dean of the Faculty of Biology
- 2010–2012 Dean of the Faculty of Biology
- Since October 2012 Vice Rector for Research at the Albert-Ludwigs-University
Memberships and honors
- 1980 1st prize from the City of Salzburg for the best doctoral thesis
- Since 2000 member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- Reviewer for DFG , NSF, USDA ,
- Japanese Frontier Science Program
- Swiss National Fund
- Human Science Frontier Program Organization
- Severo-Ochoa Advisory Committee (2010–2011)
- Vice-Rector Gunther Neuhaus at the University of Freiburg
- Gunter Neuhaus on the biology page of the University of Freiburg
- ^ Page Gunther Neuhaus on the website of the University of Freiburg
- ^ Gunther Neuhaus Vice President of the University of Freiburg
- ↑ Small moss with a great future. ( Memento from November 29, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- ^ Member entry by Gunther Neuhaus at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on July 15, 2016.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian biologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 19, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Linz|