Hartmut Häußermann studied at the Free University of Berlin from 1964 , where he was chairman of the General Student Committee in 1967 and obtained his diploma in sociology in 1970. He did his doctorate in 1975 with Urs Jaeggi .
He was Professor of Regional and Urban Sociology at the University of Kassel (1976–1978), the University of Bremen (1978–1993) and 1993–2008 at the Humboldt University in Berlin . From 2002 to 2006 he was President of the Research Committee on Regional and Urban Development of the International Sociological Association (ISA).
In 1993 he received the second prize from the Thyssen Foundation for the best social science article in a German journal (with Manfred Küchler), in 2003 the Prize from the Schader Foundation (with Walter Siebel ) and a year later the Fritz Schumacher Prize from the Toepfer Foundation . Since 1999 he has been a member of the German Academy for Urban Development and Regional Planning and the Academy for Spatial Research and Regional Planning .
In 1998, together with the geographer Andreas Kapphan, Häußermann carried out a study on the socio-spatial development of the State of Berlin on behalf of the Berlin Senate , in which the introduction of “ neighborhood management ” was proposed. The Berlin Senate followed this recommendation in response to the growing social polarization of urban space, which involves the risk of entire population groups being marginalized. Häußermann was also head of the evaluation of the federal-state program 'Die Soziale Stadt' in 1995.
“I don't think so far there has been anyone in Berlin who has a coherent concept for the needs and requirements of a multicultural city. And every big city in Germany has to think about how to get more immigrants. "
Häußermann was the first to sign an open letter published in August 2007 to the Federal Public Prosecutor Monika Harms , in which the release of Andrej Holm was requested, an employee of his chair who was in custody at the time because of alleged terrorist suspicions . Häußermann was second reviewer of Franziska Giffey's doctoral thesis published in 2010 , which was accused of plagiarism in February 2019.
Häussermann had a daughter. He lived in the Berlin district of Prenzlauer Berg .
- The politics of the bureaucracy. Introduction to the Sociology of State Administration , 1977 ( ISBN 3-593-32531-4 , plus Diss. FU Berlin 1975)
- City and space. Sociological analyzes , 2nd edition 1992 ( ISBN 3-89085-552-0 )
- (with Walter Siebel : Neue Urbanität , 1987 ( ISBN 3-518-11432-8 )
- (Ed. With W. Siebel): Festivalization of urban politics. Urban development through large projects. Special issue 13 of the magazine LEVIATHAN , 1993 ( ISBN 3-531-12507-9 )
- (with W. Siebel): service companies , 1995 ( ISBN 3-518-11964-8 )
- (with W. Siebel): Sociology of living. An Introduction to Change and Differentiation of Living , 1996 ( ISBN 3-7799-0395-4 )
- (Ed. With I. Oswald): Immigration and urban development, special issue 17 of the magazine LEVIATHAN , 1997 ( ISBN 3-531-13097-8 )
- (Ed.): Big city. Sociological Keywords , 1998 ( ISBN 3-8100-2126-1 )
- (with A. Kapphan): Berlin: From a divided city to a divided city? Socio-spatial change since 1990 , 2000 ( ISBN 3-8100-2754-5 )
- (with A. Holm and D. Zunzer): Urban renewal in the Berlin Republic. Example Prenzlauer Berg. , 2002 ( ISBN 3-8100-3440-1 )
- (with W. Siebel): Urban Sociology. An Introduction , 2004 ( ISBN 3-593-37497-8 )
- (Ed. With M. Kronauer and W. Siebel): On the edges of cities. Poverty and Exclusion , 2004 ( ISBN 3-518-12252-5 )
- Essay The row house. From reform model to townhouse , in: Daniel Arnold (ed.): In German terraced houses , 2008 ( ISBN 978-3-7667-1790-0 )
- (with D. Läpple and W. Siebel): Stadtpolitik , 2008 ( ISBN 978-3-518-12512-0 )
- Literature by and about Hartmut Häußermann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Hartmut Häußermann at the HU Berlin
- The end of critical science , interview in Die Zeit from August 21, 2007 about the imprisonment of an employee of his chair
- How the rich crowd the poor out of the cities , interview from July 18, 2008 at Spiegel Online
- Ralf Schönball: Berliner Stadtforscher. Hartmut Häußermann has died , in: Der Tagesspiegel from November 2, 2011; Günther Uhlig: Expert on the new urbanity. The urban sociologist and urban studies researcher Hartmut Häußermann has died , in: Deutschlandfunk from November 2, 2011; Kristina Pezzei: Sociologist Hartmut Häußermann has died. For equal opportunities , in: the daily newspaper of November 3, 2011; Gerd Held: The man with the view behind the window. People are more important than streets: On the death of urban researcher and sociologist Hartmut Häußermann , in: Die Welt, November 4, 2011 (accessed November 4, 2011)
- Berlin: from a divided to a divided city?
- ZEIT ONLINE: Franziska Giffey: University is examining the family minister's doctoral thesis . In: The time . February 8, 2019, ISSN 0044-2070 ( zeit.de [accessed February 8, 2019]).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sociologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 6, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Waiblingen|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 31, 2011|