Hermann Arthur Lier
Hermann Arthur Lier (born February 1, 1857 in Herrnhut , † February 8, 1914 in Radebeul ) was a German librarian and publicist .
After graduating from high school in Zittau , Lier first studied history in Munich (among others with Wilhelm von Giesebrecht ) and art history. From 1879 he continued his studies at the University of Leipzig , where he in 1882 with a thesis on the Augsburg humanist circle with special reference Bernhard Adel's of Adelmannsfelden doctorate was, he used one of his 1880 essay written for those policies.
The year before, he had already started working as an unskilled worker at the Royal Public Library in Dresden . There he was appointed fourth curator in 1888 and librarian in 1896 and worked in the Japanese Palace , the library domicile at that time , until his death . Lier played a major role in the transfer of the princely library of the Duchy of Oels in 1885. After the death of Duke Wilhelm of Braunschweig and Lüneburg (1806–1884), it came into the possession of King Albert of Saxony , who received it as a gift from the Dresden library handed over.
His journalistic activities are reflected in numerous essays and books on the fine arts, but also on Dresden library holdings. He has published numerous articles in newspapers and magazines on these topics. In addition, he worked on the “ General Historical Portrait Work ” by Woldemar von Seidlitz and the General German Biography . In 1913, Lier received the Knight's Cross first class from the Saxon Order of Albrecht .
Lier died at home in the Radebeul district of Serkowitz , at Mozartstrasse 4. His grave is in the neighboring Kötzschenbroda on the Radebeul-West cemetery .
- The Augsburg Humanist Circle with special emphasis on Bernhard Adelmann von Adelmannsfelden. In: Journal of the Historical Association for Swabia and Neuburg. Vol. 7, 1880, ZDB -ID 958221-6 , pp. 68-108 ( digitized version ).
- Adolf Hinrichsen: The literary Germany. 2nd, increased and improved edition. Verlag des Literarisches Deutschlands, Berlin 1891, p. 436 f.
- Bruno Volger (Ed.): Saxony's scholars, artists and writers in words and pictures with an appendix: “Non-Saxony”. Volger, Leipzig 1907/08, p. 427.
- Herrmann AL Degener (Ed.): Who is it? Contemporaries lexicon containing biographies and bibliographies. Information about origin, family, curriculum vitae, works, favorite occupations, party affiliation, membership in societies, address. Other communications of general interest. 4th, completely revised and significantly enlarged edition. Degener, Leipzig 1909, ZDB -ID 207268-3 , p. 244.
- Karl Bader: Lexicon of German librarians. In the main and secondary office, with princes, states and cities (= Central Gazette for Libraries. Supplement 55, ISSN 0323-6331 ). Harrassowitz, Leipzig 1925, p. 359.
- Hermann Christern (Hrsg.): List of dead 1914. In: German Biographical Yearbook. Transition volume 1, 1914/1916 (1925), ZDB -ID 541850-1 , p. 335.
- Katrin Nitzschke: Lier, Hermann Arthur . In: Institute for Saxon History and Folklore (Ed.): Saxon Biography .
- Literature by and about Hermann Arthur Lier in the Saxon Bibliography
- ↑ a b Information from the Radebeul City Archives from the civil status documents.
- ↑ All articles by Hermann Arthur Lier at Wikisource
|SURNAME||Lier, Hermann Arthur|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German librarian and publicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 1, 1857|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Herrnhut|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 8, 1914|
|Place of death||Kötzschenbroda|