Live and act
Houston Person grew up in Florence, South Carolina and studied at the State College there, then at the College of Music in Hartford , Connecticut . During his military service in Germany he played in the US Air Force Band a. a. with Don Ellis , Eddie Harris , Cedar Walton, and Leo Wright . Although Person has made many recordings in the hardbop and swing genre, he is best known for his numerous soul jazz- style records, with accompanists such as Cedar Walton, Pepper Adams and Curtis Fuller on his 1968 album "Blue Odyssey" In the mid-1960s he played in Johnny "Hammond" Smith's band and in the backing band of singer Etta Jones ; the collaboration with her would last until the 1990s. Person recorded over 75 albums under his own name for Prestige , Mercury , Savoy , Muse and later for High Note Records. In 1999 he recorded the album "Something in Common" for the Soul Note label as a duo with Ron Carter . He also worked as a record producer and worked on recordings as well as on tours with Lorez Alexandria , Ran Blake , Charles Brown , Charles Earland , Lena Horne , Joey DeFrancesco , Richard Groove Holmes , Junior Mance , Lou Rawls , Horace Silver , Dakota Staton and Billy Butler with.
Person received the Eubie Blake Jazz Award in 1982 , and in 2003 together with Etta Jones the Jazzy Award of the Californian KCSM radio. His album Why Not (1990) won the Independent Jazz Record of the Year Award . The albums he produced, My Buddy: Etta Jones Sings the Songs of Buddy Johnston and Etta Jones Sings Lady Day , were nominated for a Grammy in 1999 and 2000 .
- Trust in Me (1967, Prestige) with Cedar Walton , Alan Dawson , Bob Cranshaw , Paul Chambers
- Blue Odyssey (1968, Prestige) with Curtis Fuller, Pepper Adams, Cedar Walton,
- Goodness! (1969, Prestige) with Sonny Phillips (org), Billy Butler (g)
- The Truth (1970, Prestige)
- The Big Horn (1976, Muse)
- Very Personal (1980, Muse)
- The Party (1989, Muse)
- Why not! (1990, Muse) with Ron Carter
- Person-ified (1996, High Note) with Richard Wyands , Ray Drummond , Kenny Washington
- My Romance (1998, High Note) dto.
- The Opening Round (Savant, 1997) with Joey DeFrancesco
- Soft Lights (High Note, 1998) with Richard Wyands, Russell Malone , Ray Drummond, Grady Tate
- To Etta with Love (High Note, 2004) with Stan Hope, Paul Bollenback , Per-Ola Gadd
- All Soul (High Note, 2005) with Stan Hope , Randy Jonston
- Nice 'n' Easy (High Note, 2013) with John di Martino, Chuck Redd, Ray Drummond , Lewis Nash
- Rain Or Shine (High Note, 2017), u. a. with Matthew Parrish
- Remember Love (High Note, 2018) with Ron Carter
- I'm Just A Lucky So And So (2019)
Literature / Lexica
- Ian Carr , Digby Fairweather , Brian Priestley : Rough Guide Jazz. The ultimate guide to jazz. 1800 bands and artists from the beginning until today. 2nd, expanded and updated edition. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2004, ISBN 3-476-01892-X (English edition Rough Guides 2007, ISBN 1843532565 ).
- Richard Cook , Brian Morton : The Penguin Guide of Jazz on CD . 6th edition. Penguin, London 2002, ISBN 0-14-051521-6 .
- detailed portrait at jazzpolice.com
- Portrait at Hard Bop homepage
- Biographical information on H. Person at All Music
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz saxophonist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 10, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Florence , South Carolina|