After graduating from high school in Augsburg, he studied philosophy, theology, history and art history at the University of Munich . In 1931 he received his doctorate with a thesis on The Influences of the Council of Trento on Art in Old Bavaria with a special focus on the Baier folk culture . In 1932 he became a cultural editor in Waldsassen for the Grenzzeitung and the Konnersreuther Sonntagsblatt . From 1938 he lived in Scheidegg .
By publishing salesman John Steiner (1902-1995), he founded on 24 November 1933 "Trinity Publishing" in 1938 due to the disposal of the Reich Chamber in publishing Dr. Schnell and Dr. Steiner had to be renamed and who specialized in art guides , primarily for churches. He was active as an author and editor in numerous works . His book The Church of the 20th Century in Germany (Schnell and Steiner, Regensburg 1973) became a standard work of modern church construction.
- 1954: Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class
- 1956: Commander of the Papal New Year's Eve
- 1959: Knight of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher
- 1964: Bavarian Order of Merit
- 1969: Honorary badge Excellenti in litteris from the University of Innsbruck
- 1977: Austrian Cross of Honor for Science and Art, 1st class
- B. Beringer: 50 years of Schnell & Steiner. A publishing documentation. 1983.
- Lothar Altmann: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 23, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-428-11204-3 , p. 316 f. ( ). In:
- 75 years of Schnell und Steiner publishing house. Ceremony and impressions from the anniversary year. Regensburg 2011.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schnell, Hugo Karl Maria (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian and publisher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 15, 1904|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 29, 1981|
|Place of death||Lindenberg in the Allgäu|