Yefim Iossifowitsch Levitan
Levitan's father was a leather technician who had left his homeland Smorgon with his family after the beginning of World War I and moved to the safer Jelisavetgrad. After the war ended, he moved on to the distant center of the leather industry in Bogorodsk in 1918 . There Jefim Levitan spent his youth and attended middle school No. 1. In 1929 he began to work as a draftsman in a leather chair factory. In 1934 he went to Moscow to see his older sister Sofija, who worked on the construction of the Zentrosojus administration building based on the project by Le Corbusier , Pierre Jeanneret and Nikolai Dzhemovich Kolli and advised him to become an architect.
In 1935 Levitan began studying at the Moscow Architecture Institute (MArchI). His teachers included Alexander Leonidowitsch Pasternak (brother Boris Leonidowitsch Pasternak ) and Panteleimon Alexandrowitsch Golossow . After graduating in 1941, he was sent to Stalinsk as a builder .
In June 1943 Levitan came to Stalingrad with construction workers from Stalingrad to rebuild. He was the site manager for the reconstruction of residential houses and managed the construction of various objects by German prisoners of war. His later buildings and monuments shaped the image of Stalingrad (since 1961 Volgograd). In particular, he designed the Square of the Fallen Fighters with Vasily Nikolayevich Simbirzew and built with him in 1950 the party college on this square, which is now the Volgograd Medical University. The party college in Khabarovsk , which is now the Far East Academy of State Service, was also built according to their project .
For many years Levitan headed Atelier No. 2 of the Design Institute of the Volgogradgrashdan Project . He organized the planning and construction of the new southern districts and then took part in the implementation. In 1997, 11 of Levitan's works were recognized as historical and cultural monuments of Volgograd Oblast . He was a member of the Union of Architects of the USSR since 1946.
- Medal "For heroic work in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945"
- Badge of Honor of the Soviet Union
- Silver medal of the All-Russian Agricultural Exhibition
- Honored Architect of the RSFSR
- Stalin Prize 2nd class (1951 with Vasily Nikolajewitsch Simbirzew) for the architecture of the party college in Stalingrad
- Medal of the Union of Architects of the Russian Federation
- Honorary Citizen of the Hero City Volgograd (1999)
- Elektronny Memorial: Левитан Ефим Иосифович (accessed April 13, 2019).
- Tramwaj Iskusstw: Левитан Ефим Иосифович (accessed April 13, 2019).
- Portal Volgograda: Почетные граждане Волгограда (accessed on April 13, 2019).
- Ольга Кулакова: Зодчий, подаривший городу душу . In: Городские вести (Волгоград) . No. 4 , p. 2001-01–13 (  accessed April 13, 2019).
- Евгения Тарасова: Зодчий, подаривший городу душу … In: Молодой . January 29, 2004 (  accessed April 13, 2019).
|SURNAME||Levitan, Yefim Iossifowitsch|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Левитан, Ефим Иосифович (Russian)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Russian architect|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 31, 1915|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Jelisavetgrad|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 21, 2007|
|Place of death||Volgograd|