Johann Baptist Kraus (Benedictine)
Johann Baptist Kraus OSB (born as Joseph Emmeram Wolfgang Kraus , also Johann Baptist Krauss ; born January 12, 1700 in Regensburg , † June 14, 1762 in the monastery of Sankt Emmeram ) was a Benedictine and from 1742 to 1762 prince abbot of the monastery of Sankt Emmeram.
Life and effect
Kraus attended the St. Paul Jesuit High School in Regensburg. After joining the imperial abbey of Sankt Emmeram in 1715, he took his religious vows on November 16, 1716. He received his theological training in the monasteries Michelfeld , Oberaltaich and St. Emmeram, from 1721 to 1723 he studied history and ancient languages in Paris with the masons in the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés . In 1724 he was ordained a priest, from then on he worked as a teacher and priest. From 1730 he was responsible for the economic affairs of the monastery and had the church and library renovated. On October 24, 1742 he was elected prince abbot of the abbey.
Kraus anonymously published various pamphlets on the Peace of Westphalia in the monastery printing house . He attributed the right to the Reformation to the Catholic rulers and was against tolerating the Protestants. Formulations of these writings caused the court administration of the emperor to demand the discontinuation of the publications. Kraus had a catalog of the abbey library printed.
- Catalogus religiosorum professorum monasterii S. Emmerami , 1744
- Ratisbona monastica. Or the mausoleum, the magnificent grave of the Bavarian apostle and martyr Saint Emmerami, along with the history of the origin of this closter (originally written by Abbot Cölestin Vogl in 1680 and continued by Kraus), 1752
- Liber probationum sive bullae summorum pontificum ... quae ad historiam monasterii et principalis ecclesiae S. Emmerami Ratisbonae maxime spectant , 1752
- De ortu et libertate monasterii S. Emmerami , 1755
- De exemptione et libertate imperiali monasterii S. Emmerami , 1755
- Basic crack of the so-called. Juris Reformandi , 1757
- Stephan Haering : Johann Baptist Kraus. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 4, Bautz, Herzberg 1992, ISBN 3-88309-038-7 , Sp. 620-622.
- Ludwig Hammermayer: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 12, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1980, ISBN 3-428-00193-1 , pp. 687-689 ( version ). In:
- Johann Friedrich von Schulte : Kraus, Johann Baptist . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 17, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1883, p. 84 f.
|Anselm Godin de Tampezo||
Prince Abbot of Sankt Emmeram
|SURNAME||Kraus, Johann Baptist|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kraus, Joseph Emmeram Wolfgang (birth name); Krauss, Johann Baptist|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Abbot of Saint Emmeram|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 12, 1700|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||regensburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 14, 1762|
|Place of death||Saint Emmeram Monastery|