Johann Ernst Bach (composer)
In 1742 he was hired as an official advocate in Eisenach. He represented his father as organist and after his death in 1749 he became his successor at the Georgenkirche . On February 3, 1756 he was appointed Princely Kapellmeister to Duke Ernst August Constantin in Weimar . After the early death of the duke, Bach was officially dismissed from service in 1758, but was allowed to continue to carry the title until the end of his life and received a small pension.
Works by Bach in a sensitive style have come down to us. There are fantasies and sonatas for piano and for piano and violin, organ pieces and church cantatas. The collection of exquisite fables by Christian Fürchtegott Gellert is considered to be the forerunner of the romantic ballads of the 19th century. His passion oratorio “O soul, whose sinews” based on a libretto by Christlob Mylius has remained alive to the present day.
His eldest son Johann Georg Bach followed him in office as court and town organist at the Georgenkirche.
- Collection of exquisite fables , ed. v. Hermann Kretzschmar in the series Monuments of German Sound Art (Volume I, Volume 42), Leipzig 1910 ( digitized version )
- Passion Oratorio , ed. v. Joseph Kromolicki in the series Monuments of German Music Art (Volume I, Volume 48), Leipzig 1914 ( digitized version )
- Wilibald Gurlitt: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 1, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1953, ISBN 3-428-00182-6 , p. 484 ( ). In:
- Christoph Wolff , Peter Wollny: Bach, Johann Ernst. In: Grove Music Online (English; subscription required).
- Klaus Rettinghaus: Johann Ernst Bach: Thematic-systematic directory of musical works , Stuttgart 2018, ISBN 978-3-89948-284-3
- Literature by and about Johann Ernst Bach in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Johann Ernst Bach in the German Digital Library
- Sheet music and audio files by Johann Ernst Bach in the International Music Score Library Project
- Edited letters from and to Johann Ernst Bach in the web service correspSearch of the BBAW
- Discography of the works of Bach and the Bach family with much more information
- Work overview, biography and editions
|Johann Bernhard Bach||Court and town organist in Eisenach
|Johann Georg Bach|
|Court Kapellmeister in Weimar
|Ernst Wilhelm Wolf|
|SURNAME||Bach, Johann Ernst|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bach, Ernst|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 28, 1722|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Eisenach|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 1, 1777|
|Place of death||Eisenach|