Kari Köster-Lösche (born January 23, 1946 in Lübeck ) is a German writer with a focus on historical novels. In addition, she writes books on the history of medicine and medical advice, as well as non-fiction books on the cultural history of North Frisia .
As the daughter of German-Swedish parents, Kari Köster-Lösche spent a formative part of her childhood in the geological and paleontological institutes of the universities of Uppsala and Lund , where her father worked as a geologist and also her mother, despite her occupations as a bookseller in Germany Elementary school teacher with a special passion for history and ancient languages worked. After completing primary school in Sweden, she attended the Bettinaschule in Frankfurt am Main . She completed her subsequent studies in veterinary medicine in Giessen with a doctorate in bacteriology , where she discovered her passion for science.
Activity as a scientist
Kari Köster-Lösche researched the development of bone and tooth replacement materials for human medicine at the international Battelle Institute , an interdisciplinary research institute in Frankfurt am Main. Many scientific publications, lectures and some patents followed. A planned habilitation failed because of her work as head of the department for experimental medicine, which she did not want to give up in order to return to the university.
After ten years she left the institute - together with her husband Karl-Heinz Lösche, whom she had met as a graduate engineer at the Battelle Institute .
Kari Köster-Lösche and her husband are based in North Frisia . The research on the proper restoration of your rural thatched roof house from 1852 resulted in Houses of Uthlande (1986), which was published by the North Frisian Institute 's interest group Baupflege Nordfriesland . With this book, Köster-Lösche's future path as an author was mapped out. During meals, she told her son Lars and daughter Kaike spontaneously made up stories that mostly revolved around the North Frisian dyke building , the mud flats , the mills and the houses in the old days. Finding a publisher was very difficult. Initially, no publisher wanted to publish her first novel Die Pesthexe . Finally, the Cobra Verlag in Husum, a two-man publisher, showed interest. From then on it went steadily upwards. One novel followed another, she contacted the book planner Dirk Meynecke (in collaboration with the Dörner agency), who put her in touch with larger publishers, in recent years Droemer Knaur . She was finally able to support herself and her family on the proceeds of the book while her husband worked as a househusband .
Translations of Kari Köster-Lösche's books have appeared in Spanish, French, Polish, English, Finnish, Japanese, Czech and Russian. She also writes under the pseudonym Silke Jensen.
Her educational work on BSE , which as an infectious disease, became Köster-Lösche's specialty, turned out to be counterproductive for a career as an author . Because of her training, she classified BSE as dangerous for consumers from the start. She invested a lot of time in research, television appearances, writing advice and answering telephone inquiries from people seeking advice. Ultimately, however, she was confronted with opponents who postulated the harmlessness of BSE for the consumer. The attempts to silence Köster-Lösche culminated in a professional judicial investigation that Ingrid Franzen , Agriculture Minister of Schleswig-Holstein , brought against them. After six months, this procedure was discontinued without any result. This experience shaped Kari Köster-Lösche and appears again and again in her novels.
Kari Köster-Lösche spends part of the year on the Hallig Langeneß , where she researches the traces of the terps that have sunk in the mudflats . She documents high mediaeval mudflat finds (ceramics, bone tools, wooden relics), deposits of salt peat discovered in the mudflat and old folk tools in treatises on Hallig, which are not intended for publication, but are intended to document the status quo for posterity.
- As gentle as pigeons in a cage. 1992, ISBN 3-927223-13-1 .
- The plague witch. 1987, ISBN 3-923146-36-1 .
- The heart of the whales. 1988, ISBN 3-923146-66-3 .
- Mother Griebsch. (= Hexenmilch. ) 1991, ISBN 3-927223-10-7 .
- The shipowners. 1991, ISBN 3-431-03188-9 .
- The dike sacrifice. 1993, ISBN 3-927223-14-X .
- The heiress of the jugglers. 1996, ISBN 3-431-03472-1 .
- The last days of Rungholt. 1997, ISBN 3-453-15208-5 .
- The witch of Tondern. 1999, ISBN 3-548-60184-7 .
- The plague healer. 2008, ISBN 978-3-426-19764-6 .
- The Sicilian healer. 2010, ISBN 978-3-426-50389-8 .
- The healer from Lübeck. 2013, ISBN 978-3-426-50705-6 .
- The punitive pilgrim. 2014, ISBN 978-3-426-50946-3 .
Robber baron trilogy
- The robber baron. 2000, ISBN 3-548-60471-4 .
- Death to all rich! 2000, ISBN 3-612-65150-1 .
- The robber baron's daughter. 2001, ISBN 3-548-60076-X .
- The Thor's Hammer. 1992, ISBN 3-442-42250-7 .
- The dragon boat. 1992, ISBN 3-442-42249-3 .
- The bronze brooch. 1993, ISBN 3-442-35101-4 .
- The blood dish. 2003, ISBN 3-548-60288-6 .
- Donar's revenge. 2004, ISBN 3-548-60428-5 .
- With a cross and a sword. 2005, ISBN 3-548-60567-2 .
Sönke Hansen crime novels
- With the flood comes death. 2005, ISBN 3-426-19704-9 .
- The oyster killer. 2006, ISBN 3-426-19705-7 .
- The grave in the dike. 2007, ISBN 978-3-426-19706-6 .
- The last tide. 2009, ISBN 978-3-426-19850-6 .
- Death in the Biike Fire. 2015, ISBN 978-3-426-51508-2 .
Niklas Asmus crime novels
- The dead man on Hindenburgdamm. 2012, ISBN 978-3-352-00845-0 .
- Murder in the bird's bunk. 2013, ISBN 978-3-352-00873-3 .
- Silent night, icy night. When Nis Puk saved Christmas. 2002, ISBN 3-352-00589-3 .
- Carrots for the feast. Animal Christmas stories. Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-7466-2212-3 .
- Alfons, the Christmas goose. 2008, ISBN 978-3-352-00762-0 .
- Houses of the Uthlande. 1986, ISBN 3-88007-133-0 .
- The great epidemics. From the plague to AIDS. 1989, ISBN 3-458-33381-9 ; also Frankfurt am Main 1995.
- Kitchens and cooking in North Frisia. 1989, ISBN 3-921416-49-3 .
- Fit against viruses and bacteria. 1995, ISBN 3-517-01585-7 .
- Naturally strengthen the immune system. 1995, ISBN 3-517-01649-7 .
- Mad Cow Disease - BSE. 1995, ISBN 3-431-03415-2 .
- The BSE plot. The record of calculated madness. 2001, ISBN 3-934499-35-X .
- BSE - The Insidious Danger. How do I protect myself? 2001, ISBN 3-431-04031-4 .
- Tinkeltuut and Co. About mussels and snails from the beach and mudflats. 2001, ISBN 3-88042-982-0 .
- Home North Frisia. In: Hans Otto Meier (Ed.): Heimat Nordfriesland. Bräist / Bredstedt 2005, ISBN 3-88007-578-6 .
Under the pseudonym Silke Jensen
- The Sylt virus. 2002, ISBN 3-548-25286-9 .
- Hakima la médica deToledo, EMECE, Barcelona 1995.
- Le systeme immunitaire, France Loisirs, Paris 1997.
- Fortify Your Immune System Naturally, Sterling Publishing, New York 1998.
- Odpornosc Na Wirusy i Bakterie, Swiat Ksiazki, Warszawa 1997.
- Paranna vastustuskykyäsi, Werner Söderström Osakeyhtiö, Helsinki 2000.
- Japanese translation of the BSE guide, Yokohama 2002.
- Hakima, Lékarka z Toleda, Brno (Czech Republic) 2003.
- Kejklírova dedicka, Brno (Czech Republic) 2004 (heiress of the jugglers)
- Navrat Hakimy, Brno (Czech Republic) 2005 (Return of the Hakima)
- Russian translation of the Charioteer (Ukraine 2005)
- Russian translation of the Hakima (Ukraine 2006)
- Russian translation of the Return of the Hakima (Ukraine 2006)
- Literature by and about Kari Köster-Lösche in the catalog of the German National Library
- Crime couch: Kari Köster-Lösche
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Delete, Kari Köster|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer and veterinarian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 23, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lübeck|