Klaus Schöning studied theater and literature, philosophy and journalism at the universities in Munich, Göttingen and Berlin, before going to the Westdeutscher Rundfunk in Cologne after three years at the theater . Since 1968 he has built up the WDR-3-HörSpielStudio there, which has been one of the centers of international Ars Acustica since 1991 under the name Studio Akustische Kunst . Klaus Schöning teaches as an honorary professor at the Art Academy for Media in Cologne .
Schöning was the initiator and jury member of the WDR's Prix Ars Acustica, which is awarded every three years . Schöning was also first chairman of the Ars Acustica working group of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), member of the media advisory board of the Goethe Institute and artistic director of the Acustica International Sound Art Festivals in Cologne, New York, Montreal, Copenhagen and San Francisco.
Klaus Schöning has written more than 20 radio plays, including a. the tetralogy The four elements in acoustic art (1999–2005). His essayistic programs portrayed a. a. James Joyce , Mauricio Kagel , Eric Satie and John Cage , on whose 75th birthday he was born on 14./15. February 1987 broadcast a 24-hour radio homage, NachtCageTag.
Klaus Schöning has published several anthologies on the forms and theory of the “New Radio Play”.
- 1977 War of the Worlds according to Orson Welles (WDR)
- 1999 The four elements in acoustic art (1st episode: Aqua) , directed by the author (SWF)
- 2002 Ryôan-Ji or The Gardens of Void / Just to rolywholyover. Voice composition (Deutschlandradio Kultur)
- 2004 The four elements in acoustic art (2nd episode: Terra) , directed by the author (SWF)
- 2004 The four elements in acoustic art (3rd episode: Aer - Vom Klang der Luft) , directed by the author (SWF)
- 2005 The four elements in acoustic art (4th episode: Ignis - Feuer) , directed by the author (SWF)
Radio play direction (selection)
- 1964 Albert Camus : The Renegade or A Confused Mind , composition: Enno Dugend (WDR)
- 1966 Miguel de Unamuno : San Manuel (WDR)
- 1968 Konrad Bayer , Gerhard Rühm : You become a mystery to me, my father - A burlesque listening comedy (WDR)
- 1968 Max Bense , Ludwig Harig : The monologue of Terry Jo (SR / RB)
- 1969 Gerhard Rühm : Ophelia and the Words (WDR)
- 1969 Jürgen Becker : House friends (WDR / SDR / SWF)
- 1971 Helmut Heißenbüttel : Marlowe's End (WDR)
- 1971 Michael Scharang : Question Time (WDR)
- 1974 Hans Magnus Enzensberger : "Gone" - From the afterlife of a film (WDR)
- 1975 Helmut Heißenbüttel : My name is Ludwig Wittgenstein or Die Chimäre (WDR)
- 1981 Gabriele Wohmann : Hebrews 11.1 (WDR)
- 1984 John Cage : Mirage Verbal - Writings through Marcel Duchamp's Notes (WDR)
- 1985 Klaus Schöning: Sounds are just foam bubbles on the surface of silence - On the richness of acoustic art (SWF)
- 1985 Henri Chopin : Le Corpsbis (WDR)
- 1986 Friederike Mayröcker : The Embrace, after Picasso (WDR)
- 1989 Friederike Mayröcker : Repetitions - After Max Ernst (WDR / NDR)
- 1991 Klaus Schöning: Anthology Ars Acustica (Riverrun. On the wealth of acoustic art. 2-part sound montage from WDR productions) (WDR)
- 1991 Josephine Truman : Sdreamings (WDR)
- 1993 Pauline Oliveros : A Poem Of Change (WDR)
- 1993 Klaus Schöning, Hein Bruehl : Satellite Sound Bridge Cologne - Kyoto Acoustic documentation about the Sound Bridge by Bill Fontana (WDR)
- 1994 Friederike Mayröcker : Schubert Notes or the incorruptible pattern of ecstasy , composition: Pierre Henry (WDR)
- 1998 George Brecht : Notated on the way (WDR)
- 1998 Pauline Oliveros : Ear Piece (WDR)
- 2001 Friederike Mayröcker : The envelope of the birds (WDR) (awarded the Karl Sczuka Prize )
- 2001 Klaus Schöning: riverrun. Voicings - From the human voice. Montage with sound quotes from works by the Acoustic Art Studio (WDR)
- 2001 Klaus Schöning: riverrun. Soundscapes - From the universe of sounds and noises in the midst of silence (WDR)
- 2005 Friederike Mayröcker : Gertrude Stein painted the air , composition: Mauricio Kagel (Deutschlandradio Kultur / ORF)
- 2006 Joachim Gasquet : The motif , composition: Nadja Schöning (Deutschlandradio Kultur)
- 2008 Friederike Mayröcker : Gardens, beaks, a miracle, a monologue, a radio play (ORF / SWR)
- 2008 Friederike Mayröcker : Cabinet Notes - after James Joyce , composition: Nadja Schöning (HR)
- 2010 Claude Simon : Das Haar der Berenike / La Chevelure de Bérénice (In French and German) (Deutschlandradio Kultur)
- 2011 Friederike Mayröcker : Or 1 Schumannwahnsinn (ORF / SWR)
- 1983 Berlin Art Prize of the Academy of Arts (film / radio / TV sponsorship prize)
- 1993 Media Art Prize from the Center for Art and Media Technology (ZKM), Karlsruhe
- 2004 Honorary Prize of the German Sound Art Prize
- New radio play. Texts. Scores. With Ernst Jandl / Friederike Mayröcker record "Fünf Mann Menschen". Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1969.
- New radio play. Essays, analyzes, conversations. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1970.
- New radio play. Original sound. The consumer as producer. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1974, ISBN 978-3-518-00705-1 .
- Writer and radio play. Speeches for the radio play award of the war blind Athenaeum, Königstein / Ts. 1981, ISBN 978-3-7610-8171-6 .
- Traces of the new radio play. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1982, ISBN 978-3-518-10900-7 .
- John Cage. Roaratorio. An Irish circus about Finnegans Wake With MC. Athenaeum, Königstein / Ts. 1982, ISBN 978-3-7610-8185-3 .
- Radio play maker. Author portraits and essays. Athenaeum, Königstein / Ts. 1983, ISBN 978-3-7610-8255-3 .
- Night day. 24 hours for and with John Cage. WDR, Cologne 1987.
- Homepage Klaus Schöning
- Klaus Schöning as an author / director in the ARD radio play database
- Klaus Schöning as an author / director in HörDat
- Literature by and about Klaus Schöning in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German director and radio play author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rastenburg , East Prussia , German Empire|