Lise Girardin was born on February 15, 1921 in Geneva as the daughter of Alice and Ernest Baud, a mathematics professor. In 1943 she was awarded her humanities licentiate at the University of Geneva , after which she taught French, especially at the Séminaire de français modern at Geneva University.
In 1961, shortly after the introduction of cantonal women's suffrage , she was elected to the Geneva Grand Council , of which she was a member until 1973. In 1967 she became the first woman in the Conseil administratif of Geneva elected and was in the years 1968, 1972 and 1975 Geneva City President . She was the first woman to hold such an office in Switzerland. She remained a member of the Geneva city government until 1979.
After the introduction of women's suffrage at national level in 1971, Girardin became the first woman to join the Council of States, to which she was a member until 1975. In 1971 she was also elected to the board of directors of what was then the Swiss Bank Corporation. From 1984 to 1991 she chaired the Federal Commission for Foreigners, where she campaigned for naturalization facilitation, especially for the secondos .
Girardin was also committed to the democratization of education and study, the legalization of abortion , questions of family law and equality between men and women . In 1992 she campaigned for Switzerland to join the European Economic Area .
In 2019, a plaque with her name was placed on her seat in the Council of States chamber, which reminds of the first woman in this chamber.
- Liliane Mottu-Weber: Girardin, Lise. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Lise Girardin in the archive database of the Swiss Federal Archives
- First member of the Council of States died , Swissinfo of October 19, 2010 (accessed on October 20, 2010)
- Lise Girardin died at the age of 89 , NZZ Online from October 19, 2010 (accessed October 20, 2010)
- Journée internationale des droits des femmes: Le Parlement célèbre ses pionnières. Retrieved March 11, 2019 .
- Official Bulletin. Retrieved March 11, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss politician (FDP)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 15, 1921|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Geneva|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 16, 2010|
|Place of death||Geneva|