Martin Brecht attended the classical grammar school in the Evangelical Theological Seminars in Maulbronn and Blaubeuren from 1947 to 1951 . He then studied Protestant theology at the University of Tübingen as a scholarship holder of the Evangelical Monastery , where he joined the Normannia Tübingen Association. He was then at Tubingen seminary initially Repetent , then study inspector and took over in 1970 finally as headmaster , the management of the facility.
With that of Hanns Rückert supervised dissertation The Old Library of Tübingen pin in its theology and intellectual context he was in 1961 for Dr. theol. PhD. In 1965 the habilitation followed with the work The Early Theology of Johannes Brenz . Brecht was appointed adjunct professor in Tübingen in 1971. In 1975 he took over the chair for church history (with a focus on the Reformation and early modern times) at the University of Münster . In 1997 he retired.
Brecht died in Münster in July 2021 at the age of 89.
- 1990: Honorary Doctorate from Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, Indiana
- 1993: Honorary doctorate from the Theological Faculty of the University of Leipzig
A catalog raisonné by Martin Brecht with a total of 588 titles up to 2003 can be found in:
- Wolf-Dieter Hauschild ; Wilhelm H. Neuser ; Christian Peters (ed.): Luther's effect. Festschrift for Martin Brecht on his 60th birthday, Stuttgart 1992, pp. 257–283 (No. 1–397)
- Hermann Ehmer; Udo Sträter (ed.): Contributions to the history of the Württemberg Pietism. Festschrift for Gerhard Schäfer on his 75th birthday and Martin Brecht on his 65th birthday (Pietismus und Neuzeit PuN, Vol. 24), Göttingen 1998, pp. 23–31 (No. 398–499)
- Peters, Christian; Kampmann, Jürgen (ed.): Fides et Pietas. Festschrift Martin Brecht on the occasion of his 70th birthday (Historia profana et ecclesiastica, vol. 8), Münster 2003, pp. 169–177 (No. 500–588)
Important works have been republished in:
- Martin Brecht: Selected essays. Vol. 1: Reformation (Stuttgart 1995), Vol. 2: Pietism (Stuttgart 1997)
- Martin Brecht (Ed.): Theologians and theology at the University of Tübingen - Contributions to the history of the Protestant theological faculty. Mohr, Tübingen 1977, ISBN 3-16-939692-7 .
- Martin Brecht: Luther as a writer - evidence of his poetic creation. Calwer-Verl., Stuttgart 1990, ISBN 3-7668-3076-7 .
- Martin Brecht: Johann Valentin Andreae 1586–1654 - a biography. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-525-55334-3 .
- Martin Brecht: Surrounded and touched by history. Stations on my path in life. [Autobiography] Association for Wuerttemberg Church History c / o Landeskirchliches Archiv Stuttgart, Stuttgart 2015, ISBN 978-3-944-051-06-2 .
- Literature by and about Martin Brecht in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Martin Brecht in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Christian Peters, Lutz Doering: Obituary Prof. D. Dr. Martin Brecht DD (1932-2021). (pdf; 24 kB) In: uni-muenster.de. July 28, 2021 .
- Martin Brecht's obituaries. In: trauer.ms. Retrieved July 29, 2021 .
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German Protestant theologian and church historian|
|BIRTH DATE||March 6, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nagold|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 23, 2021|
|PLACE OF DEATH||Muenster|