Notker Hammerstein (born October 3, 1930 in Offenbach am Main ) is a German historian . His research interests are primarily in the field of university and scientific history as well as the history of the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation.
Notker Hammerstein was the son of the elementary school teacher August Hammerstein (1890–1976). He attended the State Gymnasium in Frankfurt am Main and passed his Abitur there in 1949. He then studied economics and philosophy , later history , philosophy and English in Frankfurt and Munich . In 1956 he received his doctorate in Frankfurt under Otto Vossler , was then a research assistant and from 1960 assistant at the history seminar. In 1968 he qualified as a professor and obtained the venia legendi for Middle and Modern History.
In 1971 Hammerstein was appointed professor under the new Hessian Higher Education Act and in 1973 appointed to a newly established associate professor for early modern history at Frankfurt University. In 1999 he was released. His brother Reinhold was Professor of Musicology at the University of Heidelberg , his brother Gerhard Honorary Professor of Criminal Law at the University of Freiburg .
In 1999 Hammerstein published a book on the history of the German Research Foundation in the Weimar Republic and the Third Reich. Ernst Klee called this book an "attempt to clean laundry", as Hammerstein described the work of Nazi psychiatrist Robert Ritter as "general medical research", although this Sinti and Roma in his "expert statements" in a racist manner in "full gypsies", "Gypsy mixed race" and "non-Gypsy" had divided.
- 1986: Elected to the Scientific Advisory Board of the Herzog August Library Wolfenbüttel, 1991–1996 Chairman of the Advisory Board.
- 1994: Elected to the Scientific Advisory Board of the Interdisciplinary Center for Research on the European Enlightenment at the University of Halle .
- Four years deputy chairman of the German Society for Research in the 18th Century.
- 1988 to 2006: German representative and deputy chairman of the International Commission of the History of Universities in the International Association of Historians.
- Law and history. A contribution to the history of historical thought at German universities in the late 17th and 18th centuries. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1972, ISBN 3-525-36151-3 (also: Frankfurt am Main, University, habilitation paper, 1968).
- Enlightenment and the Catholic Empire. Studies on university reform and politics of Catholic territories of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation in the 18th century (= historical research. 12). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1977, ISBN 3-428-03948-3 .
The Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Volume 1: From the foundation university to the state university. 1914-1950. Alfred Metzner Verlag, Neuwied and Frankfurt am Main, 1989, ISBN 3-472-00107-0 .
- Volume 2: Post-War Period and Federal Republic 1945–1972 , Wallstein Verlag, Göttingen, 2012, ISBN 978-3-8353-0550-2 .
- Volume 3: Your story in the presidential reports 1972–2013 , Wallstein Verlag, Göttingen, 2014 ISBN 978-3-8353-1592-1 .
- Anti-Semitism and German universities. 1871-1933. Campus, Frankfurt am Main et al. 1995, ISBN 3-593-35283-4 .
Handbook of the German history of education .
- as editor with August Buck : Volume 1: From the Renaissance and the Reformation to the end of the religious struggles. Beck, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-406-32463-0 ;
- as editor with Ulrich Herrmann : Volume 2: 18th century. From the late 17th century to the reorganization of Germany around 1800. Beck, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-406-32464-9 .
- The German Research Foundation in the Weimar Republic and the Third Reich. Science Policy in the Republic and Dictatorship. 1920-1945. Beck, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-406-44826-7 ;
- Res publica litteraria. Selected essays on the early modern history of education, science and universities (= historical research. 69). Edited by Ulrich Muhlack and Gerrit Walther . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2000, ISBN 3-428-09899-4 .
- Hammerstein, Notker , in: Friedhelm Golücke : Author's lexicon for student and university history. SH-Verlag, Cologne 2004, ISBN 3-89498-130-X . Pp. 128-131.
- Literature by and about Notker Hammerstein in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short profile of Notker Hammerstein on the website of the University of Frankfurt (University archive)
- ↑ Notker Hammerstein: From the circle of friends of the "White Rose". Otmar Hammerstein - a biographical exploration. Wallstein, Göttingen 2014, ISBN 978-3-8353-1384-2 , pp. 15, 17, 22.
- ↑ Notker Hammerstein: From the circle of friends of the "White Rose". Otmar Hammerstein - a biographical exploration. Wallstein, Göttingen 2014, ISBN 978-3-8353-1384-2 , p. 14 f.
- ↑ Ernst Klee: NS-Disabled Murder: Mocking the victims and honoring the perpetrators. In: Disabled people in family, school and society. Internet edition, Issue 6, 1999, ZDB -ID 2023208-1 , online .
- ↑ Ernst Klee: German blood and empty folders . In: Die Zeit , October 12, 2000. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 3, 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Offenbach am Main|