In 1951, graves from late antiquity were cut in the "Am Heidberg" corridor and some finds were recovered. The burials took place in the period between 400 and 485 AD. Because they were armed, they probably go back to Germanic mercenaries in the late Roman army.
During excavations in St. Peter's Church, older predecessor buildings and graves were discovered. The oldest graves belong to the early 8th century AD, the oldest church - a wooden post construction about 6 × 9 m in size - is likely to have been built around the same time.
Palenberg was first mentioned in 867 as villa Palemberg . Around 1000 the place probably belonged to the Geilenkirchen rule . This came into the possession of the Lords of Heinsberg in the 12th century and the Heinsberger Land finally became part of the Duchy of Jülich . There is Palenberg in the Jülich district of Geilenkirchen. The church was first mentioned around 1300 in the Liber valoris as a subsidiary church of Frelenberg .
In 1815 Palenberg came to Prussia; In 1827 the place had 98 inhabitants and belonged to the Frelenberg office . In 1852, today's “Übach-Palenberg” train station was inaugurated. From 1917 to 1962 coal was mined in the Carolus Magnus mine . With the expansion of the Carolus Magnus pit and its mining settlement, the old hamlet of Bersitten in the Palenberg district opened up.
The nearest train station is Übach-Palenberg on the Aachen – Mönchengladbach line . The next motorway junctions are "Alsdorf" on the A 44 and "Heinsberg" on the A 46 . Buses of the Aachener Verkehrsverbund (AVV) connect Palenberg with all other parts of the city as well as with Alsdorf , Baesweiler , Geilenkirchen , Herzogenrath and the Dutch Landgraaf .
- Wilhelm Piepers: Archeology in the district of Heinsberg I: soil monuments and finds in the former district of Geilenkirchen. Series of publications of the district of Heinsberg Volume 5, Heinsberg 1989, p. 278 ff. No. 17.
- Horst Wolfgang Böhme: Germanic grave finds from the 4th to 5th centuries between the Lower Elbe and Loire. Munich Contributions to Prehistory 19. Munich 1974, p. 283 No. 104.
- Frank Siegmund: Merovingian time on the Lower Rhine. Rhenish excavations 34. Rheinland-Verlag, Cologne 1998, ISBN 3-7927-1247-4 , pp. 357 f., Plate 138.
- Leo Schaefer: The excavations in the Karlskapelle zu Palenberg. Bonner Jahrbücher 157, 1957, pp. 353–379.
- Frank Siegmund: Merovingian time on the Lower Rhine. Rhenish excavations 34. Rheinland-Verlag, Cologne 1998, ISBN 3-7927-1247-4 , p. 355 f.
- Older views of the church shown in: Wilhelm Piepers: Archeology in the district of Heinsberg I: soil monuments and finds in the former district of Geilenkirchen. Series of publications by the district of Heinsberg Volume 5, Heinsberg 1989, Appendix 11.
- Evidence from Leo Schaefer: The excavations in the Karlskapelle zu Palenberg. Bonner Jahrbücher 157, 1957, p. 353 f.
- Website of the city of Übach-Palenberg
- Monuments in the city of Übach-Palenberg
- Churches and chapels in the town of Übach-Palenberg