Peter Lösche (born February 13, 1939 in Berlin ; † March 9, 2016 in Kassel ) was a German political scientist and professor of political science . He taught at the University of Göttingen until his retirement in 2007 .
Peter Lösche was born in Berlin in 1939 as the son of typesetter and SPD politician Bruno Lösche (1898–1963; 1946–1963 District Councilor for Public Education in Berlin-Tiergarten ) and SPD politician Dora Lösche , née Ludwig (1906–1985). He studied "history, political science, geography and philosophy at the Free University of Berlin , the University of Göttingen and in the United States" before receiving his doctorate in 1966 at the Free University of Berlin on a historical subject . Between 1969 and 1971 Lösche was a Kennedy Memorial Fellow at Harvard University , and from 1971 to 1972 he was a substitute professor at the University of Hamburg .
The habilitation of Modern History and Political Science in 1973 they also in Berlin, where he since 1971 lecturing at the Otto Suhr Institute had held. In the year of his habilitation, Lösche was appointed to a full professorship at the Department of Political Science at the University of Göttingen, where he remained until his retirement. He has been elected dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences several times. In Göttingen, he has also worked at the Center for European and North American Studies since 1991, and since 2001 he has also been a member of the party research group.
Lösche was visiting professor at Stanford University , the University of California in Santa Barbara and the Johns Hopkins University in Bologna , as well as on extended research stays in the United States and New Zealand.
Lösche was best known for his work on party research, but also to a wider audience through numerous television appearances as a party expert on election evenings. For information on political education , he wrote No. 292 on the party system in the Federal Republic of Germany . Other areas of focus were political developments in the United States and the subject of anarchism .
- Bolshevism in the judgment of German social democracy 1903–1920. 1967
- Industrial unions in organized capitalism. The CIO in the Roosevelt era , Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1974, ISBN 3-531-11260-0
- Anarchism. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1977
- Politics in USA. 1977
- What do the parties live on? About money in politics, Fischer-Taschenbuch-Verlag, Frankfurt /. 1984, ISBN 3-596-24262-2
- America in perspective. Politics and Society of the United States , Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1989, ISBN 3-534-80053-2 .
- (with Franz Walter ): The SPD: class party - people's party - quota party; on the development of social democracy from Weimar to German unification , Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, Darmstadt 1992, ISBN 3-534-10994-5 .
- A short history of the German parties. 1993
- (with Franz Walter ): The FDP: Directional dispute and future doubts , Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1996, ISBN 3-534-80195-4 .
- The United States: Interior Views. 1997
- Associations and lobbyism in Germany . Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-17-018187-8 .
- (together with Christian Graf von Krockow ): Parties in crisis. The party system in the Federal Republic and the uprising of the citizens' will , Beck, Munich 1986, ISBN 3-406-31595-X .
- Keep from being forgotten. Life paths of Weimar Social Democrats , Colloquium-Verlag, Berlin 1988, ISBN 3-7678-0741-6 .
- Göttingen social sciences today. Questions, methods, content , Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1990, ISBN 3-525-35838-5 .
- Solidarity community and milieu. Socialist cultural and leisure organizations in the Weimar Republic , three volumes, Dietz, Bonn 1990–1993
- Football worlds. On the relationship between sport, politics, economy and society , Leske and Budrich, Opladen 2002, ISBN 978-3-663-10118-5
- Country report USA. History, politics, economy, society, culture. Federal Agency for Civic Education , 5th, revised. Edition Bonn 2008 ISBN 9783893318513
- together with Anja Osterman (ed.): The Obama era: first term of office , Federal Agency for Political Education (BpB), Bonn 2012, (Federal Agency for Political Education: Series of publications, Volume 1290), ISBN 978-3-8389-0290-6 .
- Disenchantment with parties without end? Polemics against the complaints of German politicians, journalists, political scientists and constitutional lawyers. In: ZParl 26, 1995, pp. 149-159.
- Party state Bonn - Party state Weimar? On the role of parties in parliamentary democracy. In: Eberhard Kolb , Walter Mühlhausen (Hrsg.): Democracy in the Crisis: Parties in the constitutional system of the Weimar Republic. Oldenbourg, Munich 1997, pp. 141-164
- Associations, unions and the system of industrial relations. In the S. (Ed.): Country report USA. Edition 2005
- Literature by and about Peter Lösche in the catalog of the German National Library
- Pages 51–53, Lösches publications (until 2002), selection (in the work report of the Research Training Group)
- Obituary for Peter Lösche in Der Spiegel
- Peter Lösche is dead - Göttingen political scientist died at the age of 77
- Prof. Dr. Peter Lösche ( memento from January 17, 2010 in the Internet Archive ). Website on uni-goettingen.de, accessed on October 13, 2009.
- see above "As editor"
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 13, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin , German Empire|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 9, 2016|
|Place of death||Kassel , Germany|