Philharmonie de Paris
The Philharmonie de Paris is currently the largest concert hall in Paris for classical music and was opened on January 14, 2015. The Philharmonie is part of the Cité de la musique des Parc de la Villette in the 19th arrondissement and is located on the Paris ring road in the north-east of the city, near the working-class suburb of Pantin (metro station Porte de Pantin ). The Philharmonie de Paris is the new headquarters for the Orchester de Paris and for the Ensemble Intercontemporain .
The Paris Philharmonic is a project from the tenure of President Jacques Chirac in 2006 and was decisively promoted by Pierre Boulez . It was then that the Mayor of Paris and the Minister of Culture, Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres, announced the plans. In 2007, the French architect Jean Nouvel prevailed in an architectural competition .
The construction costs were put at 200 million euros at the start of construction, and at the time of completion they rose to around 380 million euros. The architect was held responsible for the cost explosion, but he declines any responsibility for it. The opening was originally planned for 2012, but had to be postponed by more than two years to January 14, 2015. The building was opened in the presence of President François Hollande . The architect, on the other hand, had previously distanced himself from the building in its current form and the time of its opening as too early in a newspaper article in the French daily Le Monde and did not take part in the celebration. The Orchester de Paris under the direction of Paavo Järvi played at the opening . The conflicts between the architect and the client, which are carried out as part of several legal proceedings, continue to this day (as of October 2019).
The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo ( PS ), demanded a large number of rock, rap and world music concerts in order to attract the less bourgeois audience. Therefore there will only be 150 concerts by classical symphony orchestras per year instead of the planned 270. The concert hall is intended to build a bridge between Paris, which is regarded as elitist, within the ring road of the Boulevard périphérique and the surrounding suburbs, where it is located. The responsible director of the Philharmonic Laurent Bayle wants to achieve this by offering a program that combines different musical genres and thus establishes a new image of classical music in France.
The building of the Philharmonie is 52 meters high. The outer skin consists of 340,000 stylized birds made of aluminum, the shape of which varies only 7 times. Every seven of these forms result in a uniform element. The individual shapes have four different shades of gray. The large concert hall of the Philharmonie, Grande Salle Pierre Boulez , has 2400 seats. The stage is located in the middle of the hall, the maximum distance between conductor and listener is extremely low at 32 meters, measured against the capacity of the hall. The acoustics with a reverberation of 2 to 2.3 seconds were designed by Harold Marshall and Yasuhisa Toyota . The building also has a conference room, a studio, around 15 rehearsal rooms, an exhibition area of 800 square meters and a viewing terrace at a height of 37 meters.
- The Paris Philharmonic. A masterpiece by Jean Nouvel. (OT: La Philharmonie de Paris, un rêve musical. ) Documentary film, France, 2015, 51:10 min., Script and direction: Thomas Briat, production: Electron Libre Productions, arte France, first broadcast: January 18, 2015 on arte, with Jean Nouvel and Laurent Bayle, among others. ( Summary of arte)
- philharmoniedeparis.fr (French, English)
- Philharmonie de Paris at Google Cultural Institute
- Photo gallery. In: Daily Telegraph , January 15, 2015
- Gillian Moore: A tale of two cités: can the Philharmonie de Paris bridge the social divide? In: The Guardian , December 12, 2014.
- Mathias Notze: France Philharmonic. In: Tagesspiegel , April 8, 2013.
- Fluid worlds of sound. Philharmonie de Paris by Jean Nouvel. In: BauNetz , June 1, 2010.
- dpa : Architect boycotted opening. In: Der Tagesspiegel , January 15, 2015.
- Jean Nouvel : "Pourquoi je n'étais pas à l'inauguration de la Philharmonie". In: Le Monde , January 14, 2015 (French) [ Why I wasn't at the opening of the Philharmonic. ]
- Jean Nouvel sues over "totally disproportionate" Philharmonie de Paris late fee. October 25, 2019, accessed October 26, 2019 .
- Jürg Altwegg : Paris cultural policy. Rap in the Philharmonic. In: faz.net , January 13, 2015.
- Marc Zitzmann: Jean Nouvel's bird rock. In: NZZ , January 16, 2015.
- Mathias Nafze: In the vineyard enveloped by sound. In: neue musikzeitung , 2013, No. 2, accessed on January 23, 2015.
- La Philharmonie | Philharmonie de Paris. Retrieved October 26, 2019 .
- Information about the organ on the website of the organ builder
- orf.at - The organ of the Paris Philharmonic . Article dated February 16, 2016, accessed February 16, 2016.