Richard O'Brien (* 25. March 1942 in Cheltenham , England as Richard Timothy Smith ) is a British actor , writer and composer . He wrote the musical The Rocky Horror Show , which was filmed in 1975 as The Rocky Horror Picture Show .
In the 1970s, O'Brien created the musical The Rocky Horror Show as a tribute to the horror films of the 1950s and 60s. Before that, he had already worked in smaller roles in touring productions of Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar . He drew inspiration for his musical from Hollywood B-movies , science fiction films and comics, and musically from rock 'n' roll . In 1975, the film adaptation The Rocky Horror Picture Show was released .
In the following years he had mostly smaller roles in various films and TV series as well as in the sequel to the Rocky Horror Picture Show Shock Treatment , which however could not build on the success. From 2007 to 2015 he was the dubbing voice for Ferb's father Lawrence "Dad" Fletcher in the US animated series Phineas and Ferb . At the Berlinale 1998 O'Brien received a special Teddy Award for his life's work.
In 2008, the interview magazine Galore stated that O'Brien was married twice, had three children and lived in London. When asked about his gender-fluid gender identity , O'Brien replied to the British Times in 2009 (translated): “There is a continuum between male and female . Some are hardwired one way or the other, I'm in between. Or a third gender , I could see myself that way. ”He felt that he was transgender early on (as inconsistent with his birth gender), but felt unhappy about it, mainly because it was rejected by society. He has had bad experiences with gender reassignment measures and rejects them for himself. In 2013, O'Brien told the BBC : "I probably see myself as around 70% male, 30% female." When asked which field he would click when choosing a gender, if there was a third field next to man / woman: "Me would mark 'M' [...] But would also like to be able to choose 'Other'. "When O'Brien commented on a controversy over a statement by feminist Germaine Greer in 2016 , he told British Metro magazine:" I am thinking of myself than a third gender and that makes things easier. I'm somewhere in the middle. My wife and children love me and celebrate me for who I am. "
- 1966: It's crazy - the brazen cowboy (Carry On Cowboy)
- 1967: When Jim Dolan Came In (Rough Night in Jericho)
- 1971: Andromeda - Deadly Dust from Space (The Andromeda Strain)
- 1975: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- 1980: Flash Gordon
- 1981: Shock Treatment
- 1986: Robin Hood ( Robin of Sherwood , TV series, 5 episodes)
- 1989: The Wolves Of Willoughby Chase
- 1997: Spiceworld - The Movie (Spice World)
- 1998: Dark City
- 1998: Forever and Always (EverAfter)
- 2000: Dungeons & Dragons
- 2001: Elvira's Haunted Hills
- 2005: Midnight Movies ( Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream , documentary)
- 2009: Night Train
- Richard O'Brien in the Internet Movie Database .
- Literature by and about Richard O'Brien in the catalog of the German National Library .
- Shawn McHorse: Richard O'Brien. In: RockyMusic.org Private Website 2020 (English; multimedia archive).
- Video from TWStuff: Richard O'Brien interview (September 15 , 2009 ) on YouTube, September 17, 2009 (6:21 minutes, English).
- artist : Richard O'Brien. In: Last.fm / de. 2020, accessed January 20, 2020.
- Table of contents of volume 44: Richard O'Brien: “For most of my life I was not quite at ease.” ( Memento from June 29, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) In: Galore.de . The accompanying text of the interview dated September 4, 2008, accessed on January 20, 2020.
Quoted after a report: Richard O'Brien: 'Society should not dictate gender'. ( Memento from February 27, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) In: PinkNews. August 18, 2009, accessed January 20, 2020; Quote: “There is a continuum between male and female. Some are hard-wired one way or another, I'm in between. Or a third sex, I could see myself as quite easily. ”
Original Times article behind a paywall : Dominic Wells: Richard O'Brien: Rocky Horror? It was all about my mother. In: TheTimes.co.uk . August 18, 2009, accessed January 20, 2020.
- Jo Fidgen: Richard O'Brien: "I'm 70% man". In: BBC.com/news . March 18, 2013, accessed January 20, 2020; Quote: "[...] I believe myself probably to be about 70% male, 30% female. [...] I tick the M [...] But I would quite like to have Other to tick. "
- Quoted from Nick Duffy: Rocky Horror star Richard O'Brien: Trans women can't be women. In: PinkNews. March 8, 2016, accessed January 20, 2020; Quote: "I think of myself as a third sex and it makes things easier. I'm somewhere in the middle. My wife and children love me and celebrate me for who I am. "
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Smith, Richard Timothy (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English actor, writer and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 25, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cheltenham , Gloucestershire , England|