Rudolf Grulich was expelled to Upper Franconia with his mother in September 1946. After attending elementary school in Creußen ( Bayreuth district ) and high school in Bayreuth, he studied Catholic theology and Slavic languages at the Philosophical-Theological University in Königstein im Taunus , in Zagreb and in Augsburg . In 1976 he received his doctorate with the dissertation "The United Church in Macedonia" with Gerhard B. Winkler in Regensburg . 1980 followed the habilitation with the topic "The contribution of the Bohemian countries to the world mission of the 17th and 18th centuries" in Würzburg.
He worked at the Academy for Politics and Current Affairs of the Hanns Seidel Foundation in Munich and as a research assistant at the theological faculties in Bochum and Regensburg, later as head of the information department of the aid organization “ Church in Need / Ostiesterhilfe ” and the Institutum Balticum in Königstein . Rudolf Grulich has been Scientific Director of the Institute for Church History of Bohemia-Moravia-Silesia in Nidda since 1988, honorary professor for church history at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen since 1990 and vice chairman of the Jewish Museum Nidda since 2016 .
Focus of work
Grulich has authored and edited over a dozen books, as well as hundreds of articles and contributions that show his focus:
- History and culture of the Bohemian lands
- The churches in the east
- Ethnic groups and minorities in Europe.
In 1977 he founded the working group for ethnic groups and minority issues at the Heiligenhof educational facility in Bad Kissingen . In the same year he became a member of the founding board of trustees of the International Institute for Nationality Law and Regionalism (INTEREG) in Munich. He is a member of the Sudeten German Academy of Sciences and Fine Arts in Munich, the Sudeten German Council and the federal board of the Sudeten German Landsmannschaft as well as the working group for expellees pastoral care of the German Bishops' Conference.
Since 2005 he has been jointly responsible for a project at the Charles University in Prague entitled “Church and Nationalism in the 19th and 20th Centuries in the Bohemian Lands”. He also works for the international Catholic aid organization Church in Need as an advisor on Turkey issues.
In 1990 he received the science award of the Sudeten German Landsmannschaft (SL), in 1996 two high Croatian orders and in 2004 the beautiful stallion culture award. In 2008 he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit and in 2010 the Great Culture Prize of the Sudeten German Landsmannschaft. In March 2012 the BdV honorary plaque followed , and in October 2018 the Sudeten German Landsmannschaft's letter of honor , its second highest award.
- as an author
- The United Church in Macedonia (1856–1916) . Augustinus-Verlag, Würzburg 1977, ISBN 3-7613-0114-6 (The Eastern Christianity; 29).
- Cross, crescent and red star. On the situation of the Catholic Church in Yugoslavia . Aktion West-Ost, Munich 1979 (work folder; 9).
- The contribution of the Czech lands to world missions in the 17th and 18th centuries . Institute for Church History of Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia, Königstein 1981, ISBN 3-921344-10-7 ( plus habilitation thesis, University of Würzburg 1981).
- Answer of love. Life and work of mother Annuntiata Chotek. Foundress of the Eucharistic Sisters , 2nd edition Sudetendeutsches Priesterwerk, Königstein 1997 (for church and ethnic group; 9).
- Witnesses of faith today . Church in Need, Munich 1987 (Church under the Cross; 3).
- "O Prague, we are going far". Sudeten Germans all over the world . Sudetendeutsches Priesterwerk, Königstein 1992, ISBN 3-926038-34-9 .
- Advocata Croatiae. Pilgrimages in the former Yugoslavia . Universität, Giessen 1994 (texts on the East-West dialogue; 9).
- Constantinople. A travel guide for Christians . Hess Verlag, Giessen 2006, ISBN 3-87336-271-6 (reprint of the Ulm 1998 edition).
- “Ethnic cleansing” and displacement as a political tool in the 20th century . 4th edition. International Institute for Nationality Law and Regionalism, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-9806626-0-8 .
- With the Benes decrees in the EU? Debate on the relationship between Sudeten Germans and Czechs . Hess Verlag, Ulm 2002, ISBN 3-87336-015-2 (texts on the East-West dialogue; 15).
- Christians under the crescent moon. From the Ottoman Empire to modern Turkey . Sankt Ulrich Verlag, Augsburg 2008. ISBN 978-3-86744-066-0 .
- as editor
- Persecuted Church Today . 3. Edition. Church in Need, Munich 1986 (Church under the Cross; 1).
- The Roman Catholic Church in the Soviet Union . 2nd edition. Kirche in Not, Munich 1990 (articles on freedom of religion and belief; 2).
- Sudeten German Catholics as victims of National Socialism . New edition Sudeten German Priestly Work, Brannenburg 2009.
- Contemporary witnesses of the ethnic cleansing in 1945/46. Catholic priests report from the Schönhengstgau . Schönhengstgauer Heimatbund, Göppingen 2003.
- Franz-Josef Bäumer (Ed.): Europassion. Church, conflicts, human rights; Rudolf Grulich on his 60th birthday . Hess Verlag, Bad Schussenried 2006, ISBN 3-87336-350-X .
- Literature by and about Rudolf Grulich in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry for Rudolf Grulich in the encyclopedia Kathpedia
- CV (PDF)
- Homepage of the Institute for Church History of Bohemia-Moravia-Silesia
- A life for home, human rights and Europe - a tribute to the 75th birthday
- Press release of the Justus Liebig University of February 22, 2008. URL: http://idw-online.de/pages/de/news248132
- Imprint of the website of the Jewish Museum Nidda. URL: https://web.archive.org/web/20161108134540/http://niddas-juden.lima-city.de/new/index.html
- Czech edition: Sudetoněmečti katolíci jako oběti nacismu . Marek, Brno 2002, ISBN 80-86263-33-9
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German theologian and church historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 16, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Runarz near Deutsch Brodek , Moravia|