Origin of name
Other derivations, for example from the German verb haben, from an alleged (but actually non-existent) Old Norse adjective rhodu or from the Latin first name Rufus , are not linguistically tenable.
The current namesake all originally come from the area between the Neckar and Danube . There are currently around 3,000 name bearers in Germany, most of whom live in Baden-Württemberg. In addition, more than 20,000 name bearers live in the USA .
Individuals with the surname Ruoff
- Alex Ruoff (* 1986), American basketball player
- Arno Ruoff (1930–2010), German linguist
- Arthur Ruoff (* 1930), American physical chemist, materials scientist and solid-state physicist
- August Ruoff (1809–?), German publisher and politician
- Axel Ruoff (* 1957), German composer and music teacher of classical sacred and secular music
- Fritz Ruoff (1906–1986), German sculptor and painter
- Hans Ruoff (1893–1986), German writer and translator (Munich)
- Joachim Ruoff (1911–1996), German officer, standard leader of the Waffen SS and publisher
- Manfred Ruoff (1935-2004), German soccer player
- Melchior Ruoff (abbot) († 1540), abbot of Königsbronn
- Melchior Ruoff (photographer) , active in the 20th century
- Michael Ruoff (* 1964), Mayor of Hadamar (Hesse, Limburg-Weilburg district)
- Richard Ruoff (1883–1967), German officer
- Rita Ruoff-Breuer (* 1949), German architect and construction officer, President of the Federal Office for Building and Regional Planning (BBR)
- Rodney S. Ruoff (* 1957), American chemist
- Susanne Ruoff (* 1958), Swiss manager
- Theodore Burton Fox Ruoff (1910–1990), CBE, CB, lawyer and property writer, Chief Land Registrar of the UK (1963–1975), lived in London
- Ulrich Ruoff , Swiss underwater archaeologist; from 1962 to 2000 Zurich city archaeologist
- Wolfgang Ruoff (1882–1964), pianist and music professor
- Duden. Surnames. Origin and meaning. Edited by Rosa and Volker Kohlheim. Dudenverlag, Mannheim / Leipzig / Vienna / Zurich 2005, p. 563. See also Baden Dictionary , Volume IV, page 359, article Rudolf, meaning 1b; Swabian Dictionary , Volume V, Column 464, Article Rudolf, Note; Schweizerisches Idiotikon , Volume VI, Column 628 ff., Article Ruedolf ( digitized version ), introductory table of forms and note.
- So on the website The Origin of the Name Ruoff.
- Theodore BF Ruoff http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/1243356?c=people