Christoph Metzelder (2016)
|Surname||Christoph Tobias Metzelder|
|birthday||5th November 1980|
|place of birth||Haltern , Germany|
|1995-1996||FC Schalke 04|
|Years||station||Games (goals) 1|
|1999-2000||Prussia Munster||32 (4)|
|2000-2007||Borussia Dortmund||126 (2)|
|2004||Borussia Dortmund amateurs||2 (0)|
|2007-2010||real Madrid||23 (0)|
|2010-2013||FC Schalke 04||52 (2)|
|2013-2014||TuS holders||1 (0)|
|2014-2015||TuS Haltern II||2 (0)|
|2014-2015||TuS Haltern III||4 (3)|
|1999||Germany U18||1 (0)|
|2000-2001||Germany U21||9 (1)|
|Stations as a trainer|
|2013-2014||TuS Haltern (Co-Trainer)|
|2013-2014||TuS Haltern U19 (assistant coach)|
|2014-2020||TuS Haltern U19|
|1 Only league games are given.|
Christoph Tobias "Metze" Metzelder (born November 5, 1980 in Haltern ) is a former German football player and coach as well as a functional . The defender was German champion with Borussia Dortmund in 2002 , won the Spanish championship with Real Madrid in 2008 and the DFB Cup in 2011 with FC Schalke 04 . With the German national team , he was runner- up in 2002 .
Metzelder was initially interested in athletics, which he practiced parallel to football for a long time. He first played football at TuS Haltern , for which he was active from 1986, first in the position of goalkeeper. He remained connected to the association even after the change and supports the further development there financially as well as in an advisory capacity. In 1995 he joined the youth team at FC Schalke 04 together with his team-mate Sérgio da Silva Pinto , and one year later he went to Prussia Münster . As a player from Preußen Münster, he played his first game in the U-18 national team of the German Football Association on March 17, 1999 in a 4-0 defeat against his colleagues from Italy in a short stint. Shortly thereafter, he was included in the Prussian regional league squad in the 1999/2000 season.
Borussia Dortmund and jump into the national team
In the summer of 2000 Metzelder moved to Borussia Dortmund , where he was initially only intended as a player in the second team. Due to the injuries of the regular defenders Christian Wörns and Stefan Reuter, he moved into the BVB starting line-up on the first day of the season and played in the 1-0 win against Hansa Rostock . From then on, Metzelder was regularly used in central defense (less often as a full-back) and completed 19 games in his first season.
The following season, which was to be the most successful in Metzelder's career, began for the then 20-year-old with his first appointment to the German national football team , for which he made his debut on August 15, 2001 at 5-2 in a friendly in Hungary. In the championship season of Borussia he played 25 games for BVB, he was also on the field three times in the Champions League and eight times in the UEFA Cup. In the final of the competition, in which Dortmund lost 3-2 to Feyenoord Rotterdam , Metzelder was not used because he had received his second yellow card in the semifinals and was suspended for the final. After the season, Metzelder was appointed to the squad of the German national team for the World Cup in Japan and South Korea, in which he completed all seven games.
At the beginning of the following season, Metzelder was also a regular at Borussia Dortmund. However, from October 2002 he had to struggle with complaints of the right Achilles tendon , which were surgically corrected in March 2003. After the summer break in 2003, Metzelder was appointed captain of Borussia, but without being able to actively intervene in the action on the pitch. A second operation was performed in October 2003, which was again followed by a long period of rehabilitation. Nevertheless, in the summer of 2004, the club extended Metzelder's expiring contract until the end of the 2006/07 season.
After a break of almost two years, his first appearance was an away game for Dortmund at Hansa Rostock in December 2004, in which Metzelder came on as a substitute. After that, he stayed free of injuries during his time in Dortmund except for minor wounds. In autumn 2005 - shortly after his first Bundesliga match against 1. FSV Mainz 05 - he was called up again for international matches of the German national team, to whose tribe he belonged from then on. At the 2006 World Cup , he played six games for the German team. Due to a threatened yellow card suspension, he was not used in the third round match against Ecuador .
Real Madrid (2007-2010)
In the spring of 2007, Metzelder did not extend his contract with Borussia Dortmund and moved to Real Madrid for the 2007/08 season . On the first day of the 2007/08 season, Metzelder made his debut in the Spanish Primera División when he came on at halftime in the 2-1 win against Atlético Madrid . In Real Madrid's first team, Metzelder made eleven appearances by December 2007 (seven times in the Primera Division, three times in the Champions League and once in the Copa del Rey ), after which he was no longer considered due to injury. After a five-month break, Metzelder made his comeback on matchday 37 in a 2-2 draw against Real Saragossa .
After the engagement of the coach Juande Ramos as the successor to Bernd Schuster and after his teammate Pepe was banned for ten games after an assault, Metzelder moved back into the starting line-up of Real Madrid and played, among other things, in the fight for the championship against FC Sevilla and in El Clasico against FC Barcelona . In total, he came to 15 missions at the end of the 2008/09 season.
In his third season at Real, Metzelder was only a substitute. Although his rival Fabio Cannavaro moved back to Juventus Turin , in return, Raúl Albiol and Ezequiel Garay came with two new central defenders, so that Metzelder had a seat on the bench for most of the time. Due to his being a reservist and many injuries, Metzelder only made three appearances this season - one in the Spanish Cup, two in the league.
FC Schalke 04 (2010-2013)
For the 2010/11 season, Metzelder moved to FC Schalke 04 on a free transfer , where he received a three-year contract until 2013. Metzelder thus joined his former youth team and the arch rival of his former club Borussia Dortmund . Metzelder played his first Bundesliga game for Schalke on matchday 1 of the 2010/11 season against Hamburger SV after making his competitive debut on August 7, 2010 in the Supercup game against Bayern Munich .
On November 20, 2010 (13th matchday), Metzelder scored his first goal for FC Schalke 04 after a corner in a 4-0 win against SV Werder Bremen. In 2011, he won the DFB Cup and the DFL Supercup with Schalke . While he was still part of the permanent staff under Felix Magath , the last two years at Schalke were similar to his time in Madrid. Due to a change of coach and bad luck with injuries, he only made 20 Bundesliga appearances in the last few years of his career. His contract, which expired at the end of the 2012/13 season, was not extended by Schalke. So he decided to end his active professional career on June 30, 2013.
TuS Haltern (2013-2015)
Metzelder made his comeback at his youth club on August 25, 2013 in the 3-0 defeat by DJK Eintracht Coesfeld , when he had to be replaced after 28 minutes due to injury. Due to the lack of time and backlog in training, this competitive game was his only one for the first team of TuS Haltern. For the second and third team, he completed a few more games in the district and district league in the 2014/15 season.
- German champion 2001/02 with Borussia Dortmund
- 2007/08 Spanish champions with Real Madrid
- Spanish Supercup winner 2008 with Real Madrid
- DFB Cup winners 2010/11 with FC Schalke 04
- 2011 DFL Supercup winner with FC Schalke 04
- Trofeo Bravo : 2002
- Silver bay leaf : 2006
- Order of Merit of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia : 2011
- Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon: 2017
After professional football
TV expert and sports marketing
He also worked as managing director for the sports marketing agency Jung von Matt / sports before founding the agency BrinkertMetzelder together with Raphael Brinkert in October 2018 . He left the agency in September 2019.
Trainers and officials
After his return to his youth club TuS Haltern, Metzelder was first assistant coach of the first team and the U19s for one season. For the 2014/15 season he was the head coach of the U19 team. Metzelder's coaching engagement was temporarily suspended after the investigation against him became known in September 2019.
In July 2014, Metzelder was elected 1st chairman of TuS Haltern. From October 13, 2016 to January 2020, he was also a member of the supervisory board of his youth club Preußen Münster.
Metzelder uses his popularity as a professional footballer to get involved in social causes. For example, he was an ambassador for the 2006 soccer World Cup for people with disabilities in Germany, as well as for the Heart Wishes Association in Münster and the SKM - debt counseling for young people in Dortmund. In order to bundle his social commitment, Christoph Metzelder founded his own foundation “Zukunft Jugend” in 2006. It was precisely through meeting young people that he became aware, according to his own statement, that more and more children in Germany are confronted with poverty and a lack of prospects. The foundation specifically supports projects that help young people on their academic and professional path and promote their social skills.
Christoph Metzelder was also a member of the board of trustees of the DFL Foundation (formerly Bundesliga Foundation). He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Youth Football Foundation , which was founded in 2000 by several national players and lecturers of the football teacher special course. In addition, since 2004 he has been Vice President of the Association of Contract Footballers (VdV) together with Carsten Ramelow .
On November 7, 2011, Christoph Metzelder was awarded the Order of Merit of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia by Prime Minister Hannelore Kraft .
Commitment to the child protection organization Roter Keil
From 2001 to 2006 Metzelder worked for the child protection organization roterkeil.net, founded by the priest Jochen Reidegeld and based in Greven , which works to protect children from sexual abuse and against child prostitution. He acted as a so-called “ guardian angel ” and in the early years of the initiative was co-founder and central ambassador of the Red Wedge alongside Reidegeld and professional footballer Sebastian Kehl . In 2005, Metzelder, Kehl and Reidegeld were received for an audience by Pope John Paul II because of their commitment , and they presented him with a book they had written together. Metzelder later withdrew from his engagement.
When Metzelder's criminal activity became known in the course of his confession and conviction for the possession and distribution of child pornography in April 2021, the Red Wedge distanced itself from its former sponsor. The people in charge of the association explained that their thoughts were with the children who were photographed in the pictures that were passed on. The abuse victims had been inflicted immeasurable suffering, which could not be repaired. Child pornography should be prosecuted and punished with all legal severity.
Criminal proceedings for disseminating child pornography
On August 19, 2019, the Hamburg public prosecutor initiated an investigation against Christoph Metzelder on suspicion of distributing child pornography . This was preceded by a notification to the authorities from the Bild newspaper a few weeks earlier . The Hamburg District Court then issued a search warrant for his residential and business premises, which was carried out on September 3, 2019. A day later, the public prosecutor confirmed the investigation and searches in a press release. Metzelder himself took legal action against the mention of his name in the media and was thus able to assert himself. He also defended himself successfully against a public treatment of the case in the legal committee of the North Rhine-Westphalian state parliament.
On September 2, 2020, the Düsseldorf Public Prosecutor, to which the preliminary investigation had since been handed over because of his place of residence, brought charges against Metzelder at the local district court . She accused him of sending a total of 27 child pornographic content to three women via the WhatsApp short message service and of having 297 child or youth pornographic files on his cell phone .
After the indictment was brought, Metzelder tried to have the local court's press release on the incident prohibited, but initially failed before the Düsseldorf Administrative Court . According to his negative decision, he had made a confession as part of the investigation. The Higher Administrative Court partially changed the decision of the lower court in February 2021. The district court was allowed to name him in the press release, but not details of the indictment. Therefore, the press release violates Metzelder's right to a fair trial as well as his general right to privacy.
In February 2021, the Düsseldorf District Court admitted the indictment. At the same time, the main witness publicly spoke to the weekly newspaper Die Zeit . Metzelder's defense attorney then publicly referred to the woman as an “initiator and provocateur” and his mandate as an alleged “plaything of higher interests”, since with Metzelder's prominence the tightening of the criminal law on child pornography should be enforced. Metzelder later had his lawyer admit that he was "scared of himself" and that he is now in therapy because of that. He led a double life , had erotic chats with women, played with sexual taboos and made mistakes. But he is not a pedophile .
The hearing took place on April 29, 2021. According to the prosecution's reading of the indictment, in August 2019 he sent 27 photos and two video files of serious sexual abuse of girls under the age of ten . There were 297 criminal files on his mobile phone. After an interruption, the judge announced that in return for a confession they had agreed to ten to twelve months imprisonment on probation. Metzelder then made a partial confession and admitted that he had created and forwarded 18 screenshots from freely accessible pages on the Internet with child and youth pornographic images. On the same day he was sentenced to ten months probation , the verdict is not yet final. The prosecution appeal a.
Christoph Metzelder was born in Haltern and grew up there. His younger brother Malte Metzelder was also a professional footballer. His other two siblings are doctors. In his youth he was an acolyte , in 2000 he graduated from the local Joseph-König-Gymnasium with a grade point average of 1.8. At the beginning of his career as a professional soccer player, he studied business administration for one semester at the Open University in Hagen . He is a member of the Catholic student union AV Silesia (Halle, Bonn) to Bochum in the CV and joined the CDU in 2006 .
Christoph Metzelder, who became the father of a daughter in October 2009, currently lives (as of 2020) in Düsseldorf .
- Literature by and about Christoph Metzelder in the catalog of the German National Library
- Christoph Metzelder in the weltfussball.de database
- Christoph Metzelder in the database of fussballdaten.de
- Christoph Metzelder in the database of National-Football-Teams.com (English)
- Christoph Metzelder in the schalke04.de database
- Christoph Metzelder in the database of reviersport.de
- Christoph Metzelder: Small talk with "Metze". SchwatzGelb.de, November 29, 2001, accessed on February 22, 2021.
- Westfalenpokal: TuS Tengern receives the regional league team TuS Haltern - "Metze" annoy on Monday. Westfalenblatt, August 25, 2019, accessed on February 22, 2021
- A new life - with content. In: faz.de. May 16, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2013 .
- Christoph Metzelder - Matches and Goals in Bundesliga. In: rsssf.com. Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation, October 1, 2015, accessed October 9, 2015 .
- Christoph Metzelder - International Appearances. In: rsssf.com. Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation, October 1, 2015, accessed October 9, 2015 .
- Contract until 2013: Christoph Metzelder changes to S04! ( Memento from April 28, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) In: schalke04.de , April 27, 2010.
- Sports Image: Christoph Metzelder ends his career. In: sportal.de , May 13, 2013.
- Interview with Christoph Metzelder - “Football alone was never enough for me!” In: Westfälische Nachrichten . January 21, 2014, accessed September 21, 2019 .
- Vice world champion meets in the district league B. In: fussball.de. February 26, 2015, accessed February 26, 2015 .
- Christoph Metzelder is now a Sky expert. In: rp-online.de , May 16, 2013.
- Jan Friday: Advertiser about eco-social market economy: “I want to be myself”. In: taz.de. July 28, 2020, accessed July 30, 2020 .
- Raphael Brinkert and Christoph Metzelder found their own agency. In: horizont.net , July 30, 2018.
- Metzelder joins as a trainer ( Memento from April 15, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) In: reviersport.de , April 3, 2014.
- Suspected child pornography: Investigations against Christoph Metzelder. In: welt.de. September 4, 2019, accessed September 4, 2020 .
- Christoph Metzelder new chairman of TuS Haltern am See. In: rp-online.de , July 3, 2014.
- Alexander Heflik: Prussia supervisory board gets a new face without Metzelder and Seinsch. January 6, 2020, accessed January 28, 2020 .
- Metzelder, Maffay, Lohmeyer and Steiner on the Board of Trustees of the Bundesliga Foundation. In: focus.de . May 27, 2016. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- NRW Order of Merit for Christoph Metzelder ( Memento from January 28, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) In: schalke04.de , November 8, 2011.
- About us. Roterkeil.net website, accessed May 1, 2021.
- After Metzelder's conviction: Child protection organization “Red Wedge” dismayed. Church and Life , April 29, 2021; accessed May 1, 2021.
- 20 years of the Red Wedge: A lot of support and a lot to do. Westfälische Nachrichten , September 28, 2019, accessed on May 1, 2021.
- charity match "red wedge" against national Zanzibar. In: bvb.de , accessed on May 1, 2021.
- What is known about the case so far. Der Spiegel, September 5, 2019, accessed on September 7, 2020 .
- Christian Rath: Metzelder case: When media are allowed to report. Editorial network Germany, September 5, 2019, accessed on September 7, 2020 .
- Martin W. Huff: What the public was allowed to know. Legal Tribune Online, September 7, 2020, accessed September 7, 2020 .
- Constantin van Lijnden: preliminary injunction against image. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, September 26, 2019, accessed on September 7, 2020 .
- Allegations against Metzelder: Now his lawyer is sending mail. Editorial network Germany, September 9, 2019, accessed on September 7, 2020 .
- Why his girlfriend is stillto him now. Bunte, October 23, 2019, accessed September 7, 2020 .
- Düsseldorf District Court: " Charging against Mr. Christoph Metzelder " (PDF)
- Christoph Metzelder is said to have had 297 criminal files stored on his cell phone. Der Spiegel, September 4, 2020, accessed on September 7, 2020 .
- court press release should not name Metzelder. Legal Tribune Online, September 8, 2020, accessed September 14, 2020 .
- district court was allowed to name Metzelder. Legal Tribune Online, September 14, 2020, accessed September 14, 2020 .
- Decision 20 L 1781/20. Administrative Court Düsseldorf, September 14, 2020, accessed on September 14, 2020 .
- Jean-Pierre Ziegler: According to the court, Christoph Metzelder confessed during the investigation. Der Spiegel, September 14, 2020, accessed on September 14, 2020 .
- Metzelder: AG was not allowed to name any details from the indictment. Legal Tribune Online, February 4, 2021; accessed February 11, 2021 .
- Suspected child pornography: Christoph Metzelder has to answer in court. The mirror. February 22, 2021, accessed February 22, 2021
- Witness and accused. Süddeutsche Zeitung, February 25, 2021.
- Christoph Metzelder: And then came the terrible pictures , Die Zeit, accessed on February 25, 2021
- Trial against Christoph Metzelder: "He knows what he has done" , Süddeutsche Zeitung , accessed on May 1, 2021
- According to Metzelder judgment: Public prosecutor appeals , WDR, accessed on May 1, 2021
- He was "scared of himself" - The double life of Christoph Metzelder: His lawyer speaks in the exclusive RTL interview , RTL, accessed on May 1, 2021
- Child pornography trial against Christoph Metzelder. Ex-soccer professional makes partial confession. In: lr-online.de. April 29, 2021, accessed April 29, 2021 .
- Crime: Metzelder sentenced to ten months suspended sentence. The time, April 29, 2021, accessed on April 29, 2021 .
- Christoph Metzelder makes partial confession. Der Spiegel, April 29, 2021.
- Ten months probation after partial confession. In: lto.de.de , April 29, 2021.
- Public prosecutor appeals against a suspended sentence for Metzelder
- "There is life after competitive sport". In: welt.de , February 6, 2015.
- Why are you connected, Mr. Metzelder? In: sueddeutsche.de , May 17, 2010.
- "It's not fun". In: zeit.de , November 14, 2013.
- Christoph Metzelder: A baby with the ex-girlfriend. In: gala.de. October 28, 2009, accessed May 15, 2020 .
- Christoph Metzelder in portrait - sporty and private. In: Focus Online . November 15, 2019, accessed May 15, 2020 .
- Christoph Metzelder: Hamburg public prosecutor's office investigates acquaintances. In: spiegel.de. October 31, 2019, accessed May 15, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Metzelder, Christoph Tobias (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German soccer player and coach|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th November 1980|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Holders|