Defenseless - shadows over Carolina
|German title||Defenseless - shadows over Carolina|
|Original title||Bastard Out of Carolina|
|Country of production||United States|
|Age rating||FSK 16|
Gary Hoffman ,
|music||Van Dyke Parks|
|camera||Anthony B. Richmond|
Defenseless - Bastard Out of Carolina ( Dirty Love / Bastard Out of Carolina ) is a feature film from the year 1996 with Jennifer Jason Leigh in the lead role. It was directed by Anjelica Huston . The film is based on the novel Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison .
Anney Boatwright (played by Jennifer Jason Leigh) lived in South Carolina in the 1950s . She brings up two daughters alone - Reese (played by Lindley Mayer) and Ruth Anne (played by Jena Malone). She marries Glen Waddell (played by Ron Eldard) and their marriage turns into hell. The children are being abused.
- film-dienst : directorial debut of the actress Anjelica Huston, who approaches the subject with respect, but presents it with ruthless harshness. The film, which gets under the skin, does not adopt a voyeuristic or exploitative stance, but aims to enlighten and accuse abused children by exposing the mechanics of abuse and repression.
The film won an Emmy Award for casting and received three nominations:
- Anjelica Huston (director)
- Gary Hoffman, Amanda DiGiulio (Producers)
- Glenne Headly (female supporting role)
Further awards were:
- Jena Malone was nominated for the Independent Spirit Award , the Screen Actors Guild Award , the CableACE Award and the YoungStar Award. She won the Young Artist Award .
- Anjelica Huston won the Directors Guild of America Award and the San Francisco International Film Festival Award (Certificate of Merit).
- Anne Meredith won the Writers Guild of America Award.