Sebastian Ristow, son of the archaeologist Günter Ristow , studied Christian archeology , prehistory and early history , historical geography , classical archeology and art history at the universities of Bonn , Mainz and Cologne from 1988 . In Bonn, he received his master's degree and in 1997 with Josef Engemann with the dissertation Early Christian baptisteries doctorate . This was followed by teaching postings on archeology in the Roman provinces in Bonn and Cologne. For 1998/99 he was awarded the travel grant of the German Archaeological Institute . After returning to Germany, Ristow worked on the Cologne cathedral excavation until 2000 . He was then the editor in charge of the archaeological section of the Real Lexicon for Antiquity and Christianity as well as responsible for the collection of antiquities at the Franz Joseph Dölger Institute for research into late antiquity at the University of Bonn. In 2006 he curated the exhibition “From the Gods to God. Early Christianity in the Rhineland ”in the Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn .
Ristow has been a freelance archaeologist since 2006. From 2011 to 2013 he was involved in the exhibition CREDO - Christianization of Europe in the Middle Ages in Paderborn , in 2012 in the exhibition Queens of the Merovingians in the Archaeological Museum in Frankfurt and the Cathedral Treasury in Cologne , from 2011 to 2014 he worked on behalf of RWTH Aachen University excavations in the area of the cathedral and the Palatinate . In 2008 he completed his habilitation in the subject of archeology of the Roman provinces at the University of Cologne with a thesis on Christianization and the question of continuity and discontinuity in the late ancient and Franconian Rhineland . Since 2011 he has been a contributor to the ScienceCampus Mainz Byzantium between Orient and Occident , and since 2014 he has been an archaeologist at the Archaeological Zone Cologne . He teaches as a private lecturer at the University of Cologne.
In 2006 he was one of the founding members of the Working Group on Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages (AGSFM). In 2006 he was awarded the Offermann Hergarten Prize for the promotion of special humanistic achievements at the University of Cologne, and in 2008 the Cologne Prize for his work on St. Pantaleon in Cologne. Since 2011 Ristow has headed the German section in the international research network Corpus Architecturae Religiosae Europae (CARE). He is co-editor of the series Studies on Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages . Ristow contributed to Der Neue Pauly , the Lexicon of the Middle Ages , the Biographical-Bibliographical Church Lexicon and the Person Lexicon for Christian Archeology .
Ristow's main areas of interest are late antiquity and early medieval archeology, especially Byzantium between Orient and Occident , the continuity of ancient structures, Christianization and early Judaism in the Rhine - Maas region in late antiquity and the early Middle Ages, early Christian church archeology, as well as the archeology of the regions of Asia Minor , North Africa and the Rhineland , Cologne and Mainz and Aachen , both in late antiquity and the history of the Carolingian Palatinate in Aachen.
- Early Christian Baptisteries (= yearbook for antiquity and Christianity . Supplementary volume 27). Aschendorff, Münster 1998, ISBN 3-402-08111-3 .
- The early churches under Cologne Cathedral. Findings and finds from the 4th century to the time the Old Cathedral was built (= studies on Cologne Cathedral. Volume 9). Cologne Cathedral Publishing House, Cologne 2002, ISBN 3-922442-43-9 .
- Editor: New research on the beginnings of Christianity in the Rhineland (= yearbook for antiquity and Christianity. Supplementary volume Kleine Reihe 2). Aschendorff, Münster 2004, ISBN 3-402-08190-3 .
- Early Christianity in the Rhineland. The evidence of the archaeological and historical sources on the Rhine, Meuse and Moselle. Rhenish Association for Monument Preservation and Landscape Protection / Aschendorff, Cologne / Münster 2007, ISBN 978-3-86526-010-9 / ISBN 978-3-402-08121-1 .
- The excavations of St. Pantaleon in Cologne. Archeology and history from Roman to Carolingian-Ottonian times (= Journal for Archeology of the Middle Ages . Supplement 21). Habelt, Bonn 2009, ISBN 978-3-7749-3585-3 .
- Editor with Orsolya Heinrich-Tamaska and Niklot Krohn: Dark centuries in Central Europe? Conference contributions of the Working Group on Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages 1. Rituals and Fashions (Xanten, June 8, 2006) 2. Possibilities and problems of archaeological-scientific cooperation (Schleswig, October 9-10, 2007) (= Studies on Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages. Volume 1) . Kovac, Hamburg 2009, ISBN 978-3-8300-4175-7 .
- Literature by and about Sebastian Ristow in the catalog of the German National Library
- Portrait on the website of the University of Cologne
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German provincial Roman and early Christian archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1967|